Here we go again!

sdlTBfanUK

Finally got a photo of how drab and uninspiring the tank looks, I did see 1 (must be bionic/super tough) red steel shrimp (full size) in there but there is a killi and 11 mosquito rasbora though you can't see them in the doom and gloom!

DSC00545.thumb.JPG.3208d25ca2bae9ddeb6927a5897785ec.JPG

I assume none of the Yellow King kong survived and so this will just be fish from here onwards? I plan to test the water within a few days but all the parameters are always comfortably within caridina parameters???

Simon

I certainly wouldn't use it ever again, as the other tanks, and this tank previously, were so lush and full of life with the JBL substrate I used then! It is the only thing I did differently this time (that I know of) and the photos of the tank and shrimps previously speak for themselves???

On the other hand I am sure a product made by a speicalist shrimp product company in Gerrmany should be a good product and there must be people who have used it with success, so I am stumped and have to accept this just isn't going to work for 'some unknown reason' this time................ 

Simon

• 3 months later...

A few photos of the killie in this tank, he has 11 chilli rasbora keeping him company!

DSC00551.thumb.JPG.6a0b1766c31e0aa186586d07a72ae36c.JPG

DSC00557.thumb.JPG.973834c68f5e03ab385ebbda9e14a93f.JPG

I will probably redo this tank and try TB shrimp again when this and most of the rasbora have died off, and hopefull by then everything in the outside word has gotten back to more normal?

Simon

• Like 1

Lovely killifish. Is that a Nothobranchius rachovii?

• Thanks 1

Yes it is, I have had him nearly a year now. They seem almost exactly like betta, only one male, curious when anyone goes near the tank and enjoy the same foods etc! It is a shame that you can only keep 1 though as they are extremely pretty and interactive. I don't know whether he ate any shrimps ???

I took some (20ish) of the wild cherry shrimps from my old tank yesterday and put them in with the new betta to test whether he is a shrimp muncher? OMG, when I started digging around in the old tank there must be way over 100 of the wild type now, they are brown and clear so difficult to see..........

Simon

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I don't know whether he ate any shrimps ???

Killis are known to eat shrimp. I wouldn't be surprised if it did eat some.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I saw 3 of the wild red cherry culls I dumped in the tank (All brown with a lighter brown stripe along the back) happily eating out in this tank this morning - difficult to see them! The water is totally wrong for cherry shrimp but they have been in there a month? The tank still looks grimey and boring though. PH6, tds 154, gh6-7, kh0.

It does beg the question though, why do these shrimp survive in this tank with the wrong parameters, but the caridina shrimp don't survive despite the parameters being ideal for them????? Oh well, I do have some shrimp in the tank for now I suppose.

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

• 1 month later...

I saw 4 brown shrimp with a cream stripe down their back this morning before the tank light went on, so obviously they like it in that tank. They are very difficult to see as the tank is very brown anyway but the shrimp (albeit they were red cherry culls) are quite attractive in their own way!

I managed to get 9L of the JBL substrate via ebay (so pounced immediately), what a lucky find (none anywhere else on the internet) so would be all set to start this tank again for the Taiwan Bee shrimps, but as the fish are doing well and postal services still a mess, that will not be soon?

Got air con unit this weekend for the room the tanks (and me usually) are in so thats another problem solved!

Simon

• Like 2

Wow, you got AC for the room?!!

That's dedication. 

• Like 2

I'll be honest it is mainly for my comfort, but the added bonus of coarse is that I won't need to worry about any of the tanks overheating (from ambient temperature), albeit thats a rare occurance over here!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I have ordered some bluebolt, black taiwan bee and black KK shrimp (5 of each) to see how this goes now, the parameters are perfect for Caridina shrimp and there have been wild type cherry shrimp living in that tank for about a year or more with no problems, so am going to give it another go! Decided to get a delivery done before winter sets in here, and also getting 20 bloody mary shrimp for the old tank so will try and fish out as many of  the wild types over the next few days to make room for the new red shrimps? I am getting this lot from ebay so will be interesting to see how that goes as it has been years since I used that for any shrimp?

I prefer red taiwan bee but will just see how these black ones go first, obviously red will be much more visible to the fish? I guess I can rule out poisoning or disease as a tank issue as there have been shrimp living in the tank for a long time now! It still doesn't look nice and green though with this different substrate, and the fish may be an issue - hopefully the shrimp that are sent will be big enough to reduce the risk of that, the listing states they will be 15mm?

Simon

• Like 2

I am mainly buying the bloody mary shrimps, to top up red shrimp in that old tank but thought I may as well try some taiwan bee in the other tank as it must have been 2 years since I tried, and as I say, there have been wild type red cherry living in that tank! I am getting blacks mainly (and couldn't resist some blue bolt) as they won't be as visible to the fish as reds, but if it goes well I will get some red taiwan bee shrimp at some later date (probably next year though)!

I must have fished out about 50 wild type red cherry so far from the old tank to make room for the new ones in that tank! If the taiwan bee work out, then I will have those wild type cherry to remove from that tank as well, there aren't that many though, I don't even feed those shrimps in that tank!

I will post updates............

Simon

• Like 2

Only day 2 but I have seen 6 of the new taiwan bee shrimp I got so that is looking hopeful, previously I saw no shrimp the next day after putting them in the tank so it is an improvement, but I am having to not get too excited and order more at this point??? All 15 may be alive but th tank is so densely planted I will never expect to see them all, and anyway they are new to the tank so would expect them to hide a lot more than when they are settled! Stunning shrimp though from an ebay sale, but too small and few to photo at this point, we will have to wait a while for those.

I assume from this that maybe they were poisoned by something in the tank before but after a few years of water changes/running that  is not now a problem??? Tank still isn't green and lush like the other tanks though so I definitely wouldn't use that substrate again!

Fingers crossed I am back with the Taiwan bee shrimp for good.......

Simon  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Fingers crossed I am back with the Taiwan bee shrimp for good

Fingers crossed here for you too.

So jealous that you can just buy off ebay. Not so simple to purchase new shrimp over here.

• Like 2

Week one has passed and I have seen 5 of the 15 shrimps today, so I am very happy about that, they could have all survived but I will never know that as the tank is so dense with plants/wood etc (lesson for next time - less is more) and there are likely some hiding, but at least whatever the early problem was seems to have vanished/cleared as the shrimp previously put into the tank vanished by the next day of being added, and that was before I got the fish. I probably won't replace the fish though when they die if the shrimps carry on working as I am sure they would pick off any newborns if they see  them.

Whether I have the will power to hold off buying another load (the person I got them from have all the others I would like to get) remains to be seen? I should give it a bit longer, and it has turned quite wintery here all of a sudden! There is a quite small//bright red cherry (very pretty with the stripe) in that tank that has been there a while, so red taiwan bee may be safe with the fish as well???

Simon

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have just ordered the red shrimps for delivery tomorrow, so I should be set then and can enjoy the tank through the winter and hopefully a growing colony. I saw 7 yesterday and so feel happy that whatever the problem was has sorted itself! Killiefish is no longer a threat as he died the other day, but he was nearly 2 years old so nothing suspect about that? I will start removing the wild type neocaridina when I see them to make room for the taiwan bee!

I have seen a very odd shrimp occasionally, it looks like a Calceo but I assume it isn't as there are only neocaridina in there. It is full grown size and has yellow eggs. It hides most of the time but I guess I will need to wait and see?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

• sdlTBfanUK locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• Aquahobby
      By Aquahobby
      Hey guyz, im cycling a 30l tank to get some rcs in it. The tank is almost cycled and im thinking of getting them next week. 
      I have tested the water and the kH is at 9 and ph is 7 (i have yet to buy a gh test as i bought the jbl pack and didnt realise it does not include gh). I have read about parameter for neo carodina and they say that the hardier the water the better. But i have also read that the water can be too hard which will make it hard for them to molt.
      What would you recommend for the parameters ? And how much should i start as a basic colony? 

• SquaniceandSquilliam
      By SquaniceandSquilliam
      Hi I'm an animal enthusiast with many frogs snakes and arachnids but it's my first attempt at caring for cherry shrimp..i researched with my girlfriend quite a bit and already set up a planted tank in a nano 2.6gallon aquarium. It will be cycling and until then I just wanted some feedback on how it looks and what y'all think about it? Thankyou ~ 

• travellife
      By travellife
      3 nights ago I moved 15 shrimp from a planted 1 gallon jarrarium to a 4 gallon bent glass tank.  The tank has a small PennPlax HOB which was seeded and has been up and running for about 1 month prior to transferring the shrimp.  The jarrarium in which they were born only had Aquasolum substrate, Anubias, and a bunch of java moss.  In the new tank I used black sand for the substrate and added a nice piece of Malaysian Driftwood along with java moss from the jarrarium.  When I first put them in the tank (after drip acclimating for 1-1/2 hours) they were swimming all over checking things out, acting pretty ecstatic about their new home.  This morning their behavior has become very subdued and most of the time I don't even see them (the driftwood has many openings for them to hide in).  A few have already molted.   All water parameters between the 2 tanks were the same with the exception of nitrate and GH/KH levels.  The jarrarium always had 0 nitrates, the new tank has 10ppm.  The jarrarium GH/KH were both 4, the new tank reads 5 for both the GH/KH.  I'm keeping a close eye on them but don't see any signs of stress.  Most are hiding in the driftwood, the others are resting very still in place. 
      How long does it generally take for shrimp to acclimate to new surroundings?  They are neocaridina davidi var. orange that were born in the jarrarium so this new environment is a huge change for them.  They've gone from a vertical water column to a horizontal water column that offers major hiding capabilities.  It was nice to be able to view them when they were actively swimming, now they've gone incognito on me.
      Google Album Photos
    • Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hello,
      So I thought I'd do a quick write up on how to "quick cycle" a new tank.
      Please note:
      This is generally for emergency use and I'm not recommending people just do this as a standard procedure every time, when intending to buy livestock make sure the tank they are to be housed in is fully cycle before you make your purchase.
       -Its best to always let your tanks cycle and mature naturally before adding livestock and this is especially true for shrimp.

Many of these steps are aimed at introducing BB (Beneficial Bacteria) Aswell as reducing Nh3 (Ammonia) No2 (Nitrite)  No3 (Nitrate) and heavy metals.

1) If it's a sand or gravel then grab as much established substrate from an existing tank as you can, obviously without taking too much,- you don't want to set off a cycle in the original tank! :)
      2) The sponge filters I use have 2 sides so it's possible to take off one sponge from an established tank and replace it with the new sponge without upsetting the BB too much, Then use this cycled sponge in your new tank. Or if you can pinch some cycled filter media like bio balls, ceramic rings etc,- If you absolutely can't take these from your existing tanks then just squeeze all the "mulm" from the dirty sponges into your new tank.
      3) This step IMO is not really as beneficial as the others as only very small amounts of BB actually live in the water itself, but I'll add it.         Use as much aquarium water from an existing tank as you can.
      4) Get some Seachem stability or similar product, I think aquaone make one called "Bio". You can't really overdose this stuff, but having said that I wouldn't recommend wasting it.-There is dormant BB in this product that activates when introduced to Nh3 etc. I guess if your test kit reads any level of Nh3 you could dose again.
      5) Whether you use tap or RO, Get a decent water dechlorinator that specifically states "Reduces Ammonia, nitrite and heavy metals" You can dose this at the recommended dose daily (not to dechlorinate) to reduce all the nasties.
      6) Add plants and driftwood preferably from an established tank if you can, as lots of BB will hitch a ride over on the wood etc, and plants will eat up Nh3, No3 aswell as heavy metals.- I'd go with low light, low maintenance like ferns and moss etc.
      7) Grab some Indian almond leaf, This does many things but mostly what we want it for is to slightly lower the ph converting toxic Nh3 into a less toxic substance Nh4 (Ammonium). Also the medicinal properties of the cappata leaf will heap reduce stress when livestock are introduced into their new environment.
      8) Small daily water changes like 10-20% and try to remove as much organic matter as you go.
      9) Add some mineral balls, They absorb Nh3 and release important minerals into the water that aid in shimp moulting and stabilising ph.

Dont clean the filter for atleast the first 3-4 weeks- obviously unless it's full blocked.
      If you do all this as directed your tank should be safe for livestock even shrimp in about the time it takes for the water to settle and clear, however accurate testing should be performed before introducing livestock, if you have  a few days to do this it would be even better.
      Once again people shouldn't go out buying shrimp and a new tank in one go at the lfs, Nor should they rely on methods like this to instantly setup a new tank every time they buy stuff.
      Cycling a tank naturally over time is a safer, better way to go, and lots of these tips can still be used to help speed up this process aswell.
      These tips can even just be used for reducing Nh3 etc in a problem tank.
      Quick product review:
      The API test kits are fine for general use despite their apparent bad rap, you just have to shake the heck out of them as per the instructions. Although with the No3 test, its really hard to tell a difference between like 10ppm, 20ppm and 40ppm, they are all pretty much the same shade of orange- yet the kit goes right to 160? Lol why? like if it's over 40 you know there major issues, they should have instead focused on a more accurate low range, eh just my 2c.
      Hope this helps some people :)
      peace.

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hey everyone how's things?
      So I was on and off with shrimp the last 6 months or so while I was doing other things and getting into nano softwater fish, building tanks and saving money, now I've got a bit more free time again I just bought a ton of new tanks, equipment and shrimp in the last few months, it's all coming together now.
      This is what my lounge room/fish room looks like ATM lol

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      There isn't much to report on this at the moment, I am 50/50 as to whether this is going to work or not long term. I have seen 2 dead shrimp since adding the new ones and counted about half of the new shrimp bought, that I saw yesterday! This is going to be a long term experiment I guess, the best I hope will happen at this point is that the remaining shrimp survive and reproduce and that new borns born in the tank should be more suited to the environment/water etc. There is an element of the acclimating didn't go as well/to plan as it should with my knowledge/experience, but I did the best I could, so that is what it is! Simon
    • Franks
      How is now the condition of pH?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Summary from the old thread; I managed to destroy my wonderful Taiwan bee tank with a faulty heater that cooked them. I then set up the tank afresh May 2019 using shrimpking substrate, new plants and wood etc. The tank looked very drab from the start and several batches of new taiwan bee were added and died out instantly. Covid came along so I decided I would give up with the taiwan bee shrimp and get some fish instead about a year later (1 kilie and 12 mosquito rasbora). September 2020 I tried another batch of tawian bee but they fared no better and the tank was still very drab looking (and still is to this very day). I very much doubt it is the substrate but won't be using that again but have aquired a large bag of the old type of substrate I used before, but I really don't know what caused the problem, maybe there was some sort of bacterial infection or I accidently poisoned the shrimp, or there was something on the new plants/wood??? The parameters were always perfect and I have to just accept I will never know? At some later date I dumped some wild type red cherry culls into the tank as food for the killie but he didn't seem to eat them (they were clear/brown so maybe he didn't see them) and they seemed to settle into the tank and bred! Fast forward to a month ago and I decided that now the postal service is better than it had been early in the pandemic, I should maybe try some more taiwan bee as the cherry shrimp had been in there for a year or so and doing well, so I assume whatever the problem was had gone, although the tank is still not as healthy looking as the other tanks using the other substrate! I ordered 15 black shrimps 2 weeks ago and put those in the tank and they seemed to be surviving so earlier this week I order 20 red/blue shrimp and put those in the ttank yesterday. This morning I counted 18 shrimps (about half) so it looks as though it maybe going to work now, the tank is so densely planted that I would never expect to see ALL the live shrimp anyway! The killie fish died a few days ago so he isn't a threat anymore and I doubt the rasboras are either. I am now in the process of fishing out the wild type cherry shrimp as/when I see them! Here is the link to the full thread about the above but I decided to start a fresh thread from here on, https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14523-here-we-go-again/ I will keep this thread updated and get some photos at some stage, though the new shrimp are a bit small at the moment.  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I think I should start a new thread on this now as this is getting a bit long and it seems to be working now, and to keep it tidier and easy to find/follow! I will attach a link below once done! Simon https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/15621-here-we-go-again-again/  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hopefully it will settle quite quickly now and it was just everything sorting itself out, and at least you caught it before it caused problems with the fish and shrimps. As you also say, it will take a bit of time for the neneficial bacteria to spread in the new sunstrate as well! The  packaging of the substrate should tell you if there is any routine you should carry out when first using it because of mineral build-up or ammonia, so if the packaging didn't say anything I think it is safe to assume it was not the substrate (Fluval stratum is volcanic soil), and other people may have just assumed it was the substrate without considering anything else if they had a similar episode to yours? Simon