Fresh Dandylion Leaves?

Aquathumb

Has anyone tried picking some fresh Dandylion Leaves, blanching them and feeding them to there shrimp like fresh picked Mullberry leaves? I'm about to do just that in a cull tank. I will update with results. I grow Stinging Nettle and collard Greens and Mullberrys specifically to do this but never tried Dandylion. 

• Like 1

the dandelion flowers ... yes. But not the leaves.

Only because I don't find dandelion leaves regularly enough. 

You can do the weeding in the backyard, as well as forage for shrimp food.

Win - Win.

Edited by jayc

I think some of the commercially produced foods have dandelion in them. As you say just blanch them and off you go but ONLY if they have never been anywhere near weedkiller or any other chemical sprayer.

I will be interested to hear how the shrimps like it?

Simon

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I think some of the commercially produced foods have dandelion in them.

^ Dandelion flowers, not the leaves. 

It's going to be just like any other leafy green at the end of the day. If you already feed mulberry leaves, the shrimp won't get anything extra from dandelion leaves.

Feed the flower on the other hand ... that's a whole bunch of different minerals the shrimp will get, including carotenoids which can assist in colouring up shrimps.

Read my write up on feeding "Edible Flowers for Shrimps". It's fallen off the first page in the Food & Nutrition forum. Maybe I should pin it.

• Like 1

I would never have thought about the flowers. Obviously most gardeners know dandelions are pretty abundant so it is good to make use of this pest (not the root I assume) if you can find another useage. Not roadside ones though as they will probably be polluted by the vehicles etc.

Simon

Absolutely try flowers. Don't even need to blanch them. As long as you know they are clean of pesticides, it can go straight into the tank.

I've fed roses, hibiscus, nasturtiums, dandelions (those are the ones I have in my garden). The shrimps love them and they colour up nicely after a few feeds. The colour is not permanent however, just a caveat. 

• Like 1