Lizzy

CRS Tank Log

sdlTBfanUK

Fantastic news!!!

They may slow down/stop breeding in winter remember but that's not something you need to worry about at the moment.

I think most people leave at least the back (I leave back and both sides) alone, to grow algae/biofilm, the babies especially like that? If you don't like seeing the growth on the back glass then you can get some black background to put behind the tank, this will also show the shrimps off better, especially babies if they are on the back???? Also as the sponge is black and the filter is also black etc they won't be so visually obvious???? 

Always great to hear a success story so thanks for the update!

Simon

• Like 1

jayc
16 hours ago, Lizzy said:

This tank is really ugly

LOL, who's looking at the tank?

Look at all those CRS!! 

Good work Lizzy. I'm so glad the RO system has paid off for you. If you have surplus and want to part with some, let me know. I sold off my CRS a few months ago, and seeing your tank makes me want to get them again.

14 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

They may slow down/stop breeding in winter

Lizzy is in Newcastle Australia, not Newcastle UK.

We are heading into Summer, officially Spring at the moment, but we will be seeing temps of 34C this Friday. 

• Like 2

Lizzy
18 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

especially babies if they are on the back????

Ironically, the babies don't seem to hang out on the back glass much. Its mostly the adults. The very new babies seem to LOVE the mini bolbitis. That's where I see most of them until they're big enough and start exploring the rest of the tank.

I don't really care about it being ugly haha. I have the 30C to satisfy my need for a "nice" aquascape.

3 hours ago, jayc said:

Good work Lizzy. I'm so glad the RO system has paid off for you. If you have surplus and want to part with some, let me know. I sold off my CRS a few months ago, and seeing your tank makes me want to get them again.

Cheers jayc. I'll definitely keep you in mind when I decide to reduce shrimp numbers! I'll just wait a bit to see what colours and patterns I end up with. Just noticed you're in Sydney. I wonder if there are many other NSW CRS keepers on this forum?

• Like 2

jayc
4 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I wonder if there are many other NSW CRS keepers on this forum?

I'm sure there are, or at least there used to be heaps in NSW. They have gone dormant now.

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK
8 hours ago, jayc said:

LOL, who's looking at the tank?

Look at all those CRS!! 

Lizzy is in Newcastle Australia, not Newcastle UK.

We are heading into Summer, officially Spring at the moment, but we will be seeing temps of 34C this Friday. 

I know winter is a way off your end, you lucky lot!

Do you have a chiller Lizzy, you don't want to risk all those beautiful CRS if it gets too hot, especially as they are near the window - been there, sort of!!!

Simon

• Like 1

Lizzy
1 hour ago, jayc said:

They have gone dormant now.

Shame there aren't more active locals.

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Do you have a chiller Lizzy, you don't want to risk all those beautiful CRS if it gets too hot, especially as they are near the window - been there, sort of!!!

I don't have one Simon. I've thought to buy one multiple times. A couple of reasons why I didn't: 1. CRS survived last summer. Tank got to 27-28 degrees some days when we weren't home and I never had any deaths. Not saying it won't happen in the future, but they appear to be hardier than I first thought. 2. My other half isn't keen on another canister filter to run a chiller, fearing leaks. Don't ask lol. I would've bought another Eheim 2213. I have one on my 30C and its perfect.

On another note, I just bought a CO2Art Pro-SE regulator. Planning on running CO2 on the 30C. Still need to get a gas cylinder. I have limited cabinet space so I have to work out what will fit as I want the biggest cylinder I can get. I also need to figure out if I run an inline reactor or diffuser in the tank. Any suggestions? I believe inline is the most efficient, but I don't know of any drawbacks.

Lizzy

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

We don't get the heat you do their but I am planning to get a cooler, a fan when we get to spring if the shrimps do well. I don't know whether that type of cooler is available where you are and it may not be powerful enough anyway. I will just put it on the tank when needed, but thats unlikely to be often here, and so  easy to set up. Obviously this isn't any good where you are based but I wanted to show an alternative to the chiller in case that suits?

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-coolers/3100-jbl-cooler-200-aquarium-cooler-4014162604293.html?search_query=cooler&results=8 

Believe me when I say you don't want to go through the heartache of cooked shrimps, I am still gutted 6 months later and the new lot will never be the same????

CO2 and shrimps is very risky and so I wouldn't use it, especially if it isn't needed and everything is ok?

Simon

Lizzy

I’ll be investing in some type of fan before the weather heats up, for sure. Those JBL things are interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of the flat computer-style cooling fans. Doesn’t matter though, whatever is effective.

19 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

CO2 and shrimps is very risky and so I wouldn't use it, especially if it isn't needed and everything is ok?

The CO2 is going in my 30 cm cube - no fancy shrimp in there. 

• Like 1