Jimmerpro

Cherry Shrimp sluggish &dying and cotton candy growth all over

Jimmerpro

Hey folks.  My cherry shrimp have slowed down the last couple of weeks now I had adults dying over night. 

Ammonia and Nitrites are zero last check.

There is this cotton candy like growth blooming in all parts of my tank.  There must be a relationship to the shrimp health. 

See pic.  Any idea what it is?

All the best. 

Jim

tank.jpg

inverted

Do a 50% water change. Also get some more water movement in the tank... even an air stone. If you have fungus growing like that it’s a sign. 

• Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK

I have had fungus a few times but it has always been in newish tanks that have cycled but not really settled down/established. Mine as tended to clear up on its own once the tank is established so I would just do the water change recommended by 'inverted' and just remove what you can by hand. I don't think the fungus will harm the shrimps (mine didn't) so it is more likely to be an indication that it may not be cycled properly or 'established'.

The more information you can provide may show up something. Is it a new tank setup?

Simon

kms

Looking at the photo, it seems like a established tank.

Jimmerpro

Hi.  It's a newish tank.   I had it up cycling for 1.5 month before adding Rabbit snails.  1.5 months before Cherry shrimp.  I thought it was ready......guess more time was needed.

Thanks for the advice all!

• Like 1

kms
8 minutes ago, Jimmerpro said:

Hi.  It's a newish tank.   I had it up cycling for 1.5 month before adding Rabbit snails.  1.5 months before Cherry shrimp.  I thought it was ready......guess more time was needed.

Thanks for the advice all!

If it's a new established tank, you have a problem, it seems you have a algae problem, so it seems like your water is not right.

Jimmerpro

I don't think i have an algae problem.  I just never clean the back glass or in that pic filter....I'm letting some algae grow for "food".   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK

I leave the sides and back alone as well and the shrimplets seem to come out onto that a lot and IF there are new borns that is the only place where I get to see them.

When you do a water change you need to add in the new water very slowly also, most use some sort of dripper setup.

It may just be that the setup wasn't established enough, that is what I put my fungus down too anyway. Mine wasn't really anywhere that I could remove it but it cleared in less than a week, but if you can remove some manually I would do that.I imagine just adding the shrimp may cause a small/temporary imbalance as it then has to adjust again, if that makes sense? 

Hopefully you won't loose any more shrimps, and I wouldn't worry too much about the fungus unless it just keeps getting worse, as I have had this happen a few times with newish tanks and it has always just cleared up in about a week.

Simon

• Thanks 1

beanbag

My guess is a fungus, so remove it as much as possible and do water change (slowly).

The common causes of fungus are overfeeding (left over food), something that is decaying (plants or animals), or something emitting sugars, like driftwood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1