Jump to content
kms

bee shrimps with eggs

Recommended Posts

sdlTBfanUK

Beautiful shrimps and nice to see one of the crabs as well!

Hope the new cooler is working well and you can finally just enjoy the tank!

Simon

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Yeah, have you hooked up the chiller yet?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms

Not yet, i'm waiting for the hose a clamp to come through, the problem with my previous chiller is the tubing keeps coming off, that how my shrimps died, so I ordered some better tubing and clamps and other accessories, hopefully I should get them with 1 week. 

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steensj2004

I’ve been considering a few of those Thailand crabs, but haven’t pulled the trigger. Beautiful shrimp!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms

I finally setup my chiller, although it's ok, I find the temperature display a little messed up (not sure if its the controller or the chiller, I have a temperature gun on order to get a more accurate reading), when compared with my temperature controller, the figures are off, even when adjusting them, sometime it's 0.1c, 0.2c, 0.3c, 0.4c faster or slower, some times its the same, but either way, it's consider accurate, and reaches the same figures at the end with 25c kicks off and 26c kicks on. May be I should use the same sensor/probe then it could be more accurate, the temperature controller used a metal end sensor, whiles the Hailea used a plastic.

it takes about 8 minutes from 26C to 25C.

it takes about  49 minutes after the chiller reaches 25C to 26C.

But the weather is a lot better than a few months ago.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
15 hours ago, kms said:

when compared with my temperature controller, the figures are off, even when adjusting them, sometime it's 0.1c, 0.2c, 0.3c, 0.4c faster or slower, some times its the same

Same here with my chillers. One Teco branded and the other Hailea. Both are do the same. Those are small temp differences and nothing to worry about.

Also, depending on where the temp probe, you can get different temps in one tank. For example, the temps on the leftmost side of the tank can be a few degrees off compared to the rightmost side of the tank. It's just how it is. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms

I'm only using a temperature controller to test the temp, both probe is tied to the inlet tube using a plastic cable tie, and my tanks is only 1 ft, 3.4 Gallon, 16 litres.

My peltier cooler is still attached but turned off, I will remove it in a few days time once I make sure the Hailea is working properly. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms

Update:

Right now I have about 16 shrimps, including 5 Red Galaxy Pinto's, just added the 5th pinto 4 days ago, the other 4 pinto's has been over a month now, also 4 Blue Shadow Panda's, and 7 Red Wine's, and about 5 crab's, my 1 Amano shrimp died, the other shrimps kept attacking it, and somehow, just disappeared.

Seems like the water is at a stable condition, I'll just wondering whether I should add a pre filter, what do you think, it's the only think I need to consider, my tank has everything else. 

 

thanks

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

You have a nice mix of colours there. Sounds like you lost a lot of crabs but you probably had too many anyway. You are probably better off with the Amano in with the caridina anyway so unless you needed it to remove algae I wouldn't worry about that vanishing shrimp, I expect the crabs and shrimps ate it when it died?

Next step is getting babies, are any berried?

Can't help about the prefilter as I don't even know what that is................. 

Simon

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms
3 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

You have a nice mix of colours there. Sounds like you lost a lot of crabs but you probably had too many anyway. You are probably better off with the Amano in with the caridina anyway so unless you needed it to remove algae I wouldn't worry about that vanishing shrimp, I expect the crabs and shrimps ate it when it died?

Next step is getting babies, are any berried?

Can't help about the prefilter as I don't even know what that is................. 

Simon

It seems most of the larger shrimps are male, the female looks kind of small, so I will have to wait. A pre filter is a extra canister filter to filter out the larger waste, that's why I think I may not need it for a shrimp tank. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdlTBfanUK

I wouldn't think you should need one of those for a shrimp tank, probably why I hadn't heard it before. See if anyone else says otherwise here? You probably have enough equipment there in mission control..............

I think all/most of the new shrimps I have are female, but as it is winter here they probably wouldn't breed yet anyway even if there is a male?

Simon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms
3 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I wouldn't think you should need one of those for a shrimp tank, probably why I hadn't heard it before. See if anyone else says otherwise here? You probably have enough equipment there in mission control..............

I think all/most of the new shrimps I have are female, but as it is winter here they probably wouldn't breed yet anyway even if there is a male?

Simon

I'm probably the only person who has spent a whole lots of money on a nano tank, with all the necessary equipment that you can think of.:5565bf0371061_D:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

if you have a mesh or foam on your inlet, so that baby shrimps are not sucked into the filter, that is enough as a prefilter.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kms
8 hours ago, jayc said:

if you have a mesh or foam on your inlet, so that baby shrimps are not sucked into the filter, that is enough as a prefilter.

Thanks, I have a glass inlet tube, the holes are small, not enough for baby shrimps to get sucked in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...