bee shrimps with eggs

kms

In my experience 75% or more survival is a success with new shrimps so I wouldn't have been upset at your new shrimp survival rate. They will probably start breeding anyway soon if everything is to their requirements so you should soon be more than compensated?

Simon 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

In my experience 75% or more survival is a success with new shrimps so I wouldn't have been upset at your new shrimp survival rate. They will probably start breeding anyway soon if everything is to their requirements so you should soon be more than compensated?

Simon 

The previous red wine died, but i'm not quite happy with these, some how they don't look the same, may be I fell in love with the old one, the old one had a body ratio which I liked, these new one are thinness, or may be just need food to beef up it's body:huh-:

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

I also preferred the previous red wines as they had more red, but the new ones are still very nice and I think you have some male and female so you may get some different types (red ruby etc) and they may just be thinner if they are not so mature which is a good thing as they will likely live and breed longer, all being well? Buying fully grown shrimps is always a bit of a gamble as you don't know how old they are and they only live about 18 months anyway?

I have to admit to having lost track of of what you have now with all the new ones and some deaths?

Hopefully m tank is nearly ready to start stocking with some shrimp next week! 

Simon

• Thanks 1

I have a day off TMR, I have more time to search for more wine red.

fu2fz6.jpg

10fu7fn.jpg

20r04rt.jpg

Somehow they tend to like this moss, is there a reason behind it. Current situation are the shrimps are dying 1 or 2 from time to time, I'm still pretty happy with the results as I know this will happen, it has happen in the passed.

15 CRS

6 Wine Red

1 Ruby

1 Red Pinto Galaxy

1 Red Pinto Fish Bone

1 Blue Shadow

Edited by kms
  • Like 2

Maybe the moss has lots of biofilm, and they are used to eating that instead of the manufactured foods.

Hope the deaths stop soon. Just keep your water parameters steady for a week or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More great photos!

You have a lovely selection. I also usually get the odd one die when they are new but if they survive the first 2 weeks then they should be ok. What happened to the CBS or black taiwan bee shrimps, you had quite a few of those?

I should get my first shrimps today so hopefully all will go well with getting those into the tank?

Simon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I should get my first shrimps today so hopefully all will go well with getting those into the tank?

You know the deal. PHOTOS

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

More great photos!

You have a lovely selection. I also usually get the odd one die when they are new but if they survive the first 2 weeks then they should be ok. What happened to the CBS or black taiwan bee shrimps, you had quite a few of those?

Simon

Sorry about that, I still have those in the old tank, there is so many shrimps in their, not sure how many from adult to free swimming babies at 2mm.

• Like 1

Pleased to hear you have more shrimps than you listed, you are doing very well!

My shrimps are being drip acclimated as I write this so thumbs up so far!

Simon

38 minutes ago, jayc said:

You know the deal. PHOTOS

I will see what I can do, not actually sure where the camera is...............

Simon

I was going to purchase another 5 Red Wine today for about GBP10, but the shop only got them in and still in the bag drip acclimated, although they did say I can still buy them. I held myself back from the purchased till tmr.

You probably don't need more at this stage as when they start breeding (up to 30 shrimplets each female, every month) you will be needing more tanks????? Those are cheap shrimps though, mine were just over GBP8 each!

I am going to see if I can find my camera...............

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My shrimps are only cheap because they shrimps are cheap to buy in Hong Kong.

update

my new tank is becoming stable, the shrinps are growing, I have seen many of the shrimps shread it's shell.

My old tank is infested with black CRS, but the mother had just died yesterday, I still have two blue bolts and a few CRS.

fw2l3m.jpg

9jkuts.jpg

2zsnoeq.jpg

• Like 2

More fantastic pictures love the blue shadow panda and the 2 red pinto galaxy.

Great to hear all is going so well! If you have a lot of CBS then they will breed when they are old enough so losing the 'mother' isn't too bad at this stage and they only love max 2 years anyway. Glad you still have 2 blue bolts as well - those will probably be my next purchase when they are in stock?

The putting spinach in my tank has brought a few of my shrimps out but bizarrely they aren't touching the actual spinach? Seen 2 black and 3 red (of the 8 total I bought) so far today?

Simon

• Thanks 1

I will stick with the present shrimps, give it another month or so before I add some more shrimps.

• Like 1

Very wise as once they start breeding your population may sky rocket anyway, as they have with the CBS!

I'm sure you should get some really nice surprises/colours when they start cross breeding too!

Simon

• Thanks 1

I will try to add all the old tank's shrimps at the end of August to the new tank, had a problem with my chiller this morning, try to make it more efficient by adding a better heat sink grease, I added a liquid metal grease, apparently you can't add liquid metal, when heating up, the heat sink turning to dust, along with part of the cooler inlet and outlet.

So far the shrimps are ok.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kms said:

the heat sink turning to dust

It must have been an aluminium heatsink.

The Indium in Liquid metal will eat through aluminium. Only copper or nickel plated heatsinks can be used with liquid metal. It says so on the packet, at least my pack of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive moved all my shrimps from my old tank to my new tank,  the weather is so hot, i'd had to combine both water chiller together, one chiller can't cope .

So far the shrimps seems ok.

• Like 1

Hope everything goes well in their new home.

We had a day of extreme (for UK) hot weather here last week and I resorted to freezing the water bottles and then putting them into the shrimp tank to try and keep the temperature lower than it would otherwise have been. The shrimps were all hiding all day so I hoped they wouldn't notice the cold water at the top? The temperature got to about 28 degrees in that tank. Luckily it was just the one day here and I have seen some shrimps since but I don't know whether it affected/killed any? I think the cherry shrimps in the other 2 tanks were ok in water over 30 degrees as were the fish as seen those since?

I had thought about making lots of ice and putting that in the dripper and as it thawed it would then drip the cold/cooler water into the tank, but I didn't try that so don't know how well that may work? I may make some ice from zerowater in case so that I am ready IF (hopefully not) it  happens again this summer???

Fingers crossed your tanks/shrimps will be ok!

Simon

• Thanks 1

I had a lot of shrimps that died, the water was over 34 degree celcius, so I was forced to make the move, let just hope the rest survive, both chiller is daisy chained together, and seems to be working alright, temperature is now about 26 degree Celsius.

Edited by kms
  • Sad 1

SO sorry to hear that, my big disaster was at about 33 degrees. Be prepared for the worst though as all mine that were transferred alive to a new tank at that point ended up dying as well the next day so I know how devastated you must be feeling.............

I will keep my fingers crossed that some survive but be prepared for them to not! 

I certainly feel your pain and know how you feel! Sorry to hear such bad news.

Simon

• Sad 1

Its seem my new tank is quite stable now, I know because I have these panda loaches, they are very sensitive to water condition, I've keep these before, and they have died within days.

As for my shrimps, they seem ok, no dead shrimps ATM, I will buy a few more Red Wine next week and try.

I've also ordered a new water chiller, more powerful one, the present one is quite weak.

• Like 1

Really pleased to hear that some of the shrimps survived and are doing well ATM! It is also good to hear you haven't been put off by the previous incident either!

At least you have readily available sources of fabulous shrimps so you shouldn't have a problem re-stocking there?

I was looking at the fan sets over here in case we get a lot of heat but probably won't get anything new like that until I am sure ALL else is going well, so probably something for next summer in reality as we are two thirds through our summer already anyway. Also not sure how it all works as they seem to be 12V???????. Hope the new chiller works well so you don't have a repeat disaster?

Simon

• Thanks 1