bee shrimps with eggs

kms

Those are stunning red wines (and photos) and as you say, not sure if it is a golden bee or a red bolt but whatever it is I am sure it will give you variety to the mix and mating will give you something you maybe don't already have which is always exciting.

Simon

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Those are stunning red wines (and photos) and as you say, not sure if it is a golden bee or a red bolt but whatever it is I am sure it will give you variety to the mix and mating will give you something you maybe don't already have which is always exciting.

Simon

The photo don't show the true colors, its more of a orange color, and at the shop a week ago, it had berries, they wanted to charge me 10 USD, I didn't take it, and now it hasn't any eggs I got it for 6 USD.

At least I know it's a female.

• Like 1

Always try and look on the bright side!

It does look more golden bee than red bolt but that may be because I HAD some stunning red bolts to compare it against.

You may have been better off buying it at the slightly higher price as you would then have all the babies as well, assuming all went well of coarse when you transferred her on purchase. As you say, you know it is female! 

Simon

• Thanks 1

I see my first 4 free swimming babies from my second batch.

• Like 2

Fantastic news!

Have you had any luck with the substrate for the new tank yet?

I have been looking around over here for red wines but there don't seem to be any. Still, way too early for me to be thinking about shrimps so it is probably good there aren't any, and the first ones I do get are likely to be blue bolts/steels I expect. Love your red wines though, I am jealous. I don't think I have seen your blue bolt, do you still have it?

Simon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Fantastic news!

Have you had any luck with the substrate for the new tank yet?

I have been looking around over here for red wines but there don't seem to be any. Still, way too early for me to be thinking about shrimps so it is probably good there aren't any, and the first ones I do get are likely to be blue bolts/steels I expect. Love your red wines though, I am jealous. I don't think I have seen your blue bolt, do you still have it?

Simon

Many of the shrimps are available in Hong Kong, you just have to look, and if you are willing to pay for some special ones like pinto . the neo, are readlly available, king kong, blue panda, wine red, is available year round, blue bolt are only available in a few stores.

Some store have over priced shrimps, like crystal red PBL selling for USD260, but these are those professional breeders.

I still have one blue bolts.

2zic55k.jpg

These two photo taken for you, from a shop wine red and blue bolts, blue panda, king kong.

These sell for around USD 5-6 each

2m64mly.jpg

534xeh.jpg

This is my new tank, I only set it up today, I didn't get the substrate I want, the ada Arizona and black earth premium has been out of stock a good few months, shops that still have them have doubled in price, my tank has the black earth premium fine version, it's the normal version I wanted. But couldn't wait, as I had to set my tank up early, going to Taiwan in October, and will be buying some more shrimps from YU crystal shrimps in Taipei.  

2yw5unl.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 2

Those shrimps for sale are stunning, thanks for the pictures! I wouldn't be able to chose which to get of those, so would probably get them all, d'oh!

Your blue bolt is a bit shy, hopefully you may get some interesting shrimplets when it breeds.

Are you getting the new tank ready for buying shrimps when you are in Taiwan? Do you have a wish list of ones you want? I'm sure you should be fine with that substrate you got!

I expect I will start with some blue bolt/steel when I introduce shrimps to my setup as they are fairly cheap here and I will get them from a supplier I used last time. If they do well I will 'invest' in some dearer ones, but that is a way away yet!  The red variants seem to be in short supply here.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Thanks, you also notice it, I also notice that the blue bolt are rather shy, they always hide. and I never buy the expensive one, you never know what will happen.

The way I buy the shrimps, if they are bee, I always go for the panda patten, and with solid colors, even the wine red, they do have a light or dark variation, I will go for the dark ones, unless the light variation look really good.

Yes I'm getting ready for the shrimps from Taiwan, unlike Hong Kong, I won't be able to choose, and I will get them to send them back to Hong Kong, it save me the trouble of carrying them back, who know what the customs will do. If I send them, I either get them or I don't.

and shipping them over the Hong Kong is about GBP 38.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

This is my almost final setup.

I have a Christmas moss

low power hang on filter

UV sterilizer

hang on biological filter

zoomed Hi output T5 light (was used for my turtles before)

Black Earth premium soil

ADA Power sand advance

i'm just looking for another moss to put along the back, I will add the co2 and water cooler once the tank is stable.

hrlgl5.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

My mother bee has its 3rd berries, can it really be this fast, it has already berried a few week, and the babies are already free swimming only days ago.

• Like 1

This isn't something I am 'expert' in as I had too many shrimps to know whose shrimplets were whose but my understanding is the following.

The eggs are fertilised when they pass from the saddle to the under carriage. They will be yellow eggs as that is the yolk. Then over the weeks these eggs change colour to usually greyish/brownish colour as the yolk is used up (this is what I have seen with my Taiwan Bee shrimps, though they are difficult to see in bee shrimps) and the shrimps are clear at this point. The shrimps are born almost always hidden away somewhere safe and are so small and clear you are unlikely to see them. At this point they stay pretty much where they were born and don't venture far so you are unlikely to see them at this stage. It probably takes up to a week for them to get some colour and start venturing around the tank, which is when you probably start seeing them!

I assume that as soon as they have the babies they prepare to do it all over again straight away and I think it is about a month cycle from start to finish.

Does any of this throw any light on what you are seeing? I am keen to learn about this as I am starting again from scratch. Would the point that they are born about a week before you see them explain any discrepancies in timing?

Hopefully someone with greater experience will clarify!

Simon

• Thanks 1

Another great picture!

Those look like eggs nearly ready to drop, going by the colour and the taiwan bees I had.

I saw this video earlier and though you may enjoy it as it has some really close-up filming, even thoughi it is a red cherry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6eLHJDVTi8

I may have already put this on this website somewhere, I apologise if it is a repeat.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Just want update you on my setup.

My new tank isn't going well, my tds has gone up over 380, so I will have to do more water change, my Christmas tree moss died in a few days, so it will to spend more work on this. On my present tank, my water cooler broke, so now i'm waiting for delivery for a new power supply, my blue bolt and golden shrimp died due to the hot weather, right now I using a temporary power that I got from work.

My 3 crs are doing well, the other 9 or more babies are also doing well, the mother is still carrying the third batch eggs.

Here is a photo of my wine red

4kz11z.jpg

• Like 1

What a relief those red wines are ok as they are truly gorgeous, I am sooooo jealous! Sorry you lost the BB and golden bee but just look on the bright side that you spotted the problem quick enough to save the best ones, and the crystals are doing well.Hopefully the new equipment will arrive promptly. I feel your pain about cooking the shrimps, its not good?

It is usually a bit hit and miss when setting up a new tank as to what plants survive and what don't, I find anyway, but I am no horticultural expert by any stretch of the imagination. My newly re-setup shrimp tank had a large bunch of Java fern in it but that was dying off (I removed it this morning) and usually that stuff is really tough to kill? The floating weed as well has lots of yellow dying bits but after a bit more time it will all settle/establish I am sure/hoping! Just give it a bit more time. At least you are getting the tank ready in plenty of time if you don't plan to get the shrimp until October. I would have thought you would be fine with the moss as well as you are using soil substrate, unless the water is getting too warm for it. I don't know about the substrate but that must be causing the TDS to rocket as there isn't anything else I cab see that would do that? The substrate I used for the Betta had to be water changed every 2 or 3 days for 2 weeks to clear the mineral build up when first used.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Update

I have just noticed that my second batch of babies, it seem like its a mix of a CRS and black king kong, apparently all the babies are brown and white, as I didn't have any black crs, it must be black king kong.

33ab4oj.jpg

2us778m.jpg

rubr6x.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

How exciting, lots of babies that's what we like to see! It will be interesting to see what colour/markings they get as they get bigger? They have lovely grade/pattern at the moment. If they look a bit brown it is probably because they aren't fully coloured up yet as they are so young.

I had loads of black shrimps appear in my tank and I never bought any black, or even partly black? The more variety though is what I was after so I was happy enough.

Hope those beautiful red wines are still doing well? 

Simon

• Thanks 1

I still have those 2 wine red, and they are doing will, somehow blue bolt has never done well with me, wine red, crs and neo has been doing well with me, even those wild red that I have put in my turtle tank are doing will, even the water parameter is out of the norm. 

Any way I have about 15 babies, they could be black crs or black king kong. the mother has released the berries it was carrying, so I should have more babies soon.

• Like 1

The shrimplets are actually born whilst on the mother, they don't drop the eggs and then those dropped eggs hatch and the shrimplets are usually clear at that stage so virtually impossible to see, especially as they were probably born somewhere concealed Give it a week and hopefully you will see them.

I don't think one type of Taiwan bee is more difficult to keep than another. I think it would depend more on the breeder and their stock as to whether they are strong and healthy when they are sent to the shop. The shop may have gotten the blue bolts you had from a different supplier than the red wines (assuming you got them from the same shop) so I wouldn't say blue bolts are any harder or different, in fact mine did the best of the bunch, so it would be worth trying them again though from a different shop/source!

I virtually ignore my neos in the fish tank and they still thrive so they are a whole different ball game, soooo much easier........ a very good type to start in the hobby? 

Simon

I've kept so many shrimp since November, but I can't seem to keep BB, King Kong, pinto etc. alive. Wine red seem to do alright, in fact they seem to be the best.

About the mother, what I mean to say was the mother is not carrying the eggs any more, so there could be babies hiding somewhere in the tank

• Like 1

You have been making changes over the earlier period so that may make a difference and the tank is more established the longer you go so don't be put off trying blues and blacks again, from a different source. Those ones did better with me but they were from a different supplier than the reds. I would personally doubt the 'colour' would make any difference, more likely to be the source/breeder? Still, those red ones are stunning so you can't loose either way! Don't be put off trying again from a different supply though!

Woohoo! More shrimplets, at this rate you may soon need a bigger tank?

My newly set up tank is being a bit stubborn and not moving from nitrates of 25........ I will test it again on wednesday and if it s still being stubborn I guess I will have to do a big(gish) water change, d'oh! I guess if I use just RO water and do 8L (1/3) it will get the GH and TDS to the better parameters at the same time. Thankfully it is a rubbish UK weather week so shoudn't be too warm.Luckily I also haven't put the buckets away from setting the tank up.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I started to put shrimps into my new tank, i'm using the shrimps to start the tank, I have 20 crs and 2 blue shadow King Kong.

I was going to keep it empty for another month, but couldn't resist the crs, the shop was selling them for little over GBP 1 for one or GBP 10 for 20, the quality was excellent, and it seem like a cross between crs and red wine, the king kong was GBP 2.50.

Forgot to mention, you catch your own shrimps.

Update on my previous shrimps, the babies shrimps has all turned from brown to black, the rest of the shrimps are all doing alright.

20af2tk.jpg

5a19oh.jpg

2e2m3jp.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 2

Those look lovely shrimps and an absolute bargain!

Good to see you are trying a few more black ones as well. Hope the red wine are still doing well?

It is so easy to get carried away, I would have as well at that bargain price?

I have my reset tank to do tomorrow, plants not doing very well this time so I will go through it all and review what to do/try next. The nitrate is still at 25 (the next reading on the strips is 50  so it is a bit vague and so I guess it could be up to just under 50), no ammonia or nitrite. I have 8L (1/3 tank) new water ready to do the water change so at least I can concentrate on the plants this week, hopefully the water change and removing some of the half dead plants will bring the nitrates down - we will see!!! I am in no hurry to get any shrimps yet/this time.

Simon

• Thanks 1