14 litres/ 3.7 gallon tank?

shrimparecool

Hi! So i have an old tank (14 litres) that im thinking of setting up for shrimp.

How many shrimp would be able to be kept in a tank this size, and what's the best way to make a shrimp-friendly tank in a tank this size, whilst also being efficient about space?

I am a beginner and have never kept any fish before apart from white cloud minnows and goldfish. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Sent from my moto e5 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

You can certainly start with a tank that size, I did!

You would be best starting off with Neocaridina (cherry) shrimps as you haven't kept much before and these shrimp are cheaper and easier to keep than the bee shrimps so a good place to start.

You can use gravel substrate which is a lot cheaper and straightforward as it won't alter the water parameters, and it is possible to keep them in tap water (I do) and I expect you have good tap water up there! They don't have much of a bio load but it is best to get a small filter and for that size of tank something like this as it is shrimp safe being sponge, and fairly cheap - I use this type. You can get everything you may want from pro-shrimp and they give top service and good prices, they even sell shrimps to whet your appetite.

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1826-superfish-aqua-flow-50-8715897041747.html

You may need a heater as it gets quite cold where you are and a 25W would normally be sufficient but when I used a 15L I used a 50W and as they are probably the same price it is probably better value to go for a 50W (and at some stage it will also be useable in a bigger tank should you catch the bug!!!!!).

I recommend you watch this video as a beginner as it is very thorough:

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14161-basics-for-shrimp-keeping-video/

It is better to see them if you have a light but they don't have to have one so that is down to your budget and preference.

You are best to pick one colour as cross breeding with different colours usually produces brown wild type shrimp. Even with just the one colour this can happen over time as I know. You probably wouldn't want more than 10 AT MOST as, if it works they reproduce rapidly.

If you have any specific questions do ask (I'm going offline in a while, but will be on here tomorrow morning, so you have plenty of time to think, but there will be others on here anyway).

I hope you decide to give shrimps a go, but beware, they get very addictive!

Simon

• Like 3

You can certainly start with a tank that size, I did!
You would be best starting off with Neocaridina (cherry) shrimps as you haven't kept much before and these shrimp are cheaper and easier to keep than the bee shrimps so a good place to start.
You can use gravel substrate which is a lot cheaper and straightforward as it won't alter the water parameters, and it is possible to keep them in tap water (I do) and I expect you have good tap water up there! They don't have much of a bio load but it is best to get a small filter and for that size of tank something like this as it is shrimp safe being sponge, and fairly cheap - I use this type. You can get everything you may want from pro-shrimp and they give top service and good prices, they even sell shrimps to whet your appetite.
https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1826-superfish-aqua-flow-50-8715897041747.html
You may need a heater as it gets quite cold where you are and a 25W would normally be sufficient but when I used a 15L I used a 50W and as they are probably the same price it is probably better value to go for a 50W (and at some stage it will also be useable in a bigger tank should you catch the bug!!!!!).
I recommend you watch this video as a beginner as it is very thorough:
https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14161-basics-for-shrimp-keeping-video/
It is better to see them if you have a light but they don't have to have one so that is down to your budget and preference.
You are best to pick one colour as cross breeding with different colours usually produces brown wild type shrimp. Even with just the one colour this can happen over time as I know. You probably wouldn't want more than 10 AT MOST as, if it works they reproduce rapidly.
If you have any specific questions do ask (I'm going offline in a while, but will be on here tomorrow morning, so you have plenty of time to think, but there will be others on here anyway).
I hope you decide to give shrimps a go, but beware, they get very addictive!
Simon

Thank you very much! This was very helpful!!

Sent from my moto e5 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

• Thanks 1