making shrimp food

richiep

i am thinking of buying a food dehydrator with a view of making my own shrimp food from nettles,kale,spinach oak leaves and all that type of stuff, you get the idea, i'm wondering dose anyone do this or tried to do it, i'm thinking when the leaves are dry to grind into a powder and mix making into pellets, by the way i have a lot of shrimp to feed

It's a  lot of manual work but if you have  time,  go for it. 

Have you thought of what you are going to use as a binding agent?

As you know, I have dabbled in making my own foods before. So that is a thought that might not have crossed your mind yet.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

From some videos I've seen they use egg and flour, first of all I minced nettles & spinach then added flour but it turned into a putty like substance when I put it in the tank after drying, this is why I thought making it into a powder keeps all the goodness and a little flour and bit of egg to bind. I'm hoping to get more suggestions on things to get dehydrated and a bit more on the binding side, hopefully with the help here I can get something going

Don't use flour, as you have already found out. :5565bf0371061_D:

Egg is better, specifically egg whites only.

If you need suggestions on what else to use as ingredients, try powdered spirulina or equivalent mixed super greens from your local health food shop.

Your shrimps will be eating better than you pretty soon. :crazy:

With the food I make, I use Agar-agar as the binder. It sets into a jelly, and that means I don't need a dehydrator. That's another idea for you.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Everything in my house revolves around shrimp, things like nettles which are full of goodness I can't get powdered that also goes for a few other veg I want to use, anyway with the dehydrator I'll dry fruits and powder for my icecream? mixing a lot of things together then finally making them into pellets do you think theres a chance of overdoing it with the amount of calcium and other thing in such a small pellet, I suppose in other words could you overdose with it, my problem with all this is getting it to powder form as not to use to much bonding agent. On a different note I have finally got my hands on Super red Crystal's all information I can find leads back to Australia, are they native to you?

17 hours ago, richiep said:

Take a look at these Jayc is this the type of thing your talking about 

Yes, exactly right.

Add that to what you are making and the shrimps will have all the nutrition they need.

In fact, it will be better than any shrimp food you can buy.