Where?

Ariana23.Xavier22

I live in Ohio, and my girlfriend and I kept going to petland to get rcs. Every time we get them we acclimate for an hour using drip acclimation we tested the water they came in around the same parameters. Does anyone know any local breeders? I really want rcs they're so cool.

Not from Ohio, but giving this a bit of a bump so that our US member/s can give you some assistance.

Edited by jayc

You know, Flip Aquatics is in Warren, OH.  I know they breed some shrimp, but they also import them.  You may need to do a little legwork to make sure you get USA bred shrimp from them.  I bought from another company, and theirs are definitely all imported, so no go there.  The Shrimp Farm is in Illinois.  Again, though, if you want shrimp they have bred you may have to actually call.

The easy way to find a local breeder in your area is probably Facebook, but shipping from IL or elsewhere in OH is likely to be pretty quick.

Edited by ShrimpNewb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ShrimpNewb said:

The easy way to find a local breeder in your area is probably Facebook

ouch! 

Need to do something about that... how about a directory here on SKF? would that help?

5 hours ago, ShrimpNewb said:

The easy way to find a local breeder in your area is probably Facebook

LOL. If you send everything to facebook, how is Cesar going to keep this wonderful site running?

JayC, are you saying there's some easy, obvious way to find a reliable breeder?  I haven't found one.

Edited by ShrimpNewb

I would like to thank all of you for giving me some tips. I do have a pleco in the tank; could he be eating the shrimp?

10 hours ago, Cesar said:

ouch! 

Need to do something about that... how about a directory here on SKF? would that help?

It would be cool and make it easier for new shrimpers like me to take that first step with reliable stock.  Of course, screening processes for shrimp breeders may be difficult to establish.  It couldn't just be anyone who wants to advertise.  That'd defeat the purpose.

There's just little activity on the "for sale" part of the forum, which is the only place I see for that sort of thing.

Edited by ShrimpNewb

3 hours ago, Ariana23.Xavier22 said:

I would like to thank all of you for giving me some tips. I do have a pleco in the tank; could he be eating the shrimp?

unfortunatley yes the Pleco would be eating your shrimp

Diet[edit]

Hypostomus plecostomus is named for its sucker-like mouth, which allows it to adhere to a surface, as well as to hold and rasp at food.[citation needed]This omnivorous species feeds on algae, aquatic plants, and small crustaceans.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypostomus_plecostomus

Okay, I'll just wait till I get my 55 gallon set up. I plan on making it a shrimp only tank.

Must be honest... there are some FB groups where plenty of breeders can be found with great shrimp and fast shipping. I'm in Nevada but have purchased from a breeder/importer in California and another in Florida. Ohio is also a big place for *many* hobbies.... bird breeders, pinball enthusiasts, shrimpers.... I dunno what it is about Ohio. Florida and California as well, which makes sense, but I don't know about Ohio! lol

I have a BN pleco in my shrimp tank. I can't say it's eating any of the shrimp... unless it just goes after Bloody Mary! ? Neos seem to be the only ones disappearing, but the Caridina sp seem to be doing okay. It's from my understanding that plecos don't typically hunt for food, but they might accidentally "suck up" a shrimp every now and then. If one dies, of course they'll eat it! But they aren't hunters.

• Like 1