buy taiwan bee from taiwan during my visit

kms

Are people allowed to take Taiwan bee out of Taiwan, can you carry them on the plane. Do you require some paper work to take them out, and into some countries, my case, Hong Kong.

Thanks

Hi kms,
Nice to hear from you again.
Hoildaying in taiwan? Have fun!
I have no experience on buying shrimps from overseas.
But i am very sure you will not be able to hand carry them with you for sure on the airplane.
As they need to be contained in water and liquids are a no go (not more than 100mls? If im not mistaken)
However, here is a screenshot i took from my local forum. I had screenshot it awhile back as i read it and thought that this person did a very good write up, where to buy and all that.
His shrimps even made it back home alive?!
However, i believe this was taiwan to singapore context.
So im really not sure what your local hkg authorities require from you inbound?
Regards.
4f5f0c596ccf2d6c3fee815c3863449d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

It's a case by case basis for each country, as they all have different laws on importing.

In Australia, the answer is no. 

Maybe you can ask your Local fish shops or ask the airport immigration.

Edited by jayc
  • Thanks 1

I've heard of some people doing it in the USA and I think possibly even from an overseas country.... and they do bring the shrimp as a carry on in water. They also bring the (not so necessary) paperwork in case there are any issues getting onto the plane.

As mentioned though, it can be a case by case situation that you'll want to look into before attempting.

• Thanks 1

Make sure you go prepared, if you are going to attempt to bring them back on a flight. Bring these along with you before leaving.

You need a styrofoam box.

Amazon.com: 12 X 8 X 8" Insulated Styrofoam Shipping ...

Some Kordon breather bags (or equivalent)

Amazon.com : 25pc 11.5 x 19 inch Kordon Breather Fish ...

And a small bottle of 3% Hydrogen peroxide. 

The styrofoam box is to protect the shrimps from the extreme temperature changes. If you check the box in, the cargo hold can get really cold. You'll need tape to seal the box up as well. If the bag breaks or leaks, the water is not lost and the shrimp can still survive.

The breather bags are good for keeping the CO2 out of the water. Especially useful on long trips.

The H2O2 adds oxygen into the water, prolonging the lifespan of the shrimps in a bag. 3 drops should be enough for 10 shrimps.

You can line the box with cotton wool as well to stop the bag trashing around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the help from each and everyone.

I will be visiting Taiwan for the first time in the next few months for holiday, my intention was not to buy shrimp, but if I do come across some shops, or if I do come across some of the breeders with some nice shrimps, I will consider buying some.

I did come across some information regarding bringing live stock back, but it was fish, for me entering Hong Kong isn't a problem, as the immigration does not check, at least for all the time I have passed the immigration, but it's immigration at Taiwan's side.

May be I can ask the place to ship it back for me, regardless of the cost.

yep, the information I found was bring back a betta, and as most custom will allow 100ml per bottle, total 1L, the person brought a few 100ml bottle, one for the fish, the others with just water, and a jar, once pass custom, the fish was put into a jar along with the rest of the water.

Thinking about it, I recall the story of someone who bought some plants out of a shrimp tank and they were shipped in a moist paper towel. Once the plants arrived at their new home, the person inspected the plants and found a live shrimp in them! 

Not a bad idea on the water idea though! ? *IF* there's any paperwork saying what is safe to bring with you on the plane in regards to aquatic life, I would recommend printing out those papers to have on hand when you do go through security. Shouldn't technically need them, but it's always a good idea to have on hand! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy your trip there!
It is a beautiful country, remember to visit their night markets!
You start snacking on food from the first store of the night market to the last stall!!

• Thanks 1

I've been in contact with YU CRS in Taiwan, they have quoted me the shipping cost of NT 1500 for shipping to hong kong, just waiting for the prices of the shrimps if purchased from them. 

I've been in contact with YU CRS in Taiwan, they have quoted me the shipping cost of NT 1500 for shipping to hong kong, just waiting for the prices of the shrimps if purchased from them. 
Wow. That is about sgd$66, i feel that is a little expensive but i also think further and feel that if you are able to pick and see the grade of the crs personally and they are very good in grade and condition, coupled with the fact that they are going to ship it professionally back to you in hkg, it may be all worth the money?
I know the taiwanese are big on shrimps there and they export their produce over to the local stores here in sg. I think you may be able to get really quality ones from them.
Anyways, have lots of fun!
Regards,
Jo

• Thanks 1

I have a reply from them on the cost, there is no minimum order.

Message me if you are interested, the cost is very reasonable, in fact cheap compare to the cost in Hong Kong, and they send worldwide, I don't want to post on this forum, without there permission.

• Like 1

Sending it out of Taiwan is not the problem. Receiving it at the other end is the problem. 

Just an FYI for those in Australia that might be tempted, your import of shrimp will be confiscated and destroyed.

But if you are from a country that does not have laws around importing fauna, then this might be an option.

As jayc has mention, do check if you are allowed to import them into your country, I think Australia is ok as long as you applied for the paper work to import them, but do check first.

But this option are for those who are after good quality shrimp with a guaranteed of pure bloodline.

You can contact them through this email, they accept Paypal with a addition 7.5% on top, their Paypal account email is different, but email them first for relevant detail as they may differ from mine. 

YU CRS CENTER CORP. <[email protected]>

For me they cost with shipping and Paypal fee, its still cheaper them in Hong Kong.

I will have to delay this purchase, ADA and the CALs Black Earth Premium substrate are limited now, most places does not have stock, and no delivery date.

Edited by kms

10 hours ago, kms said:

think Australia is ok

Nope, shrimp import is banned in Australia. Absolutely banned.

• Thanks 1

Not trying to be funny, so you are say shrimp keeping is illegal in Australia as a hobby, I'm sure none of these crs is a native species of Australian waters where you can catch the locally.

No not illegal to keep. But illegal to import new shrimp.

The shrimp we have in Aus was imported BEFORE the ban. We can keep any shrimp that we already have in Aus, but we cannot expand it with new shrimp from overseas. So our gene pool here is very, very small.

We have native shrimp in some of our rivers, they are beautiful in there own manner with their wild colours. But they are not super colourful.

The whole idea behind the ban on importing foreign species into Australia is to keep the native fauna here from being wiped out either through predication or disease. I get why they ban imports, but I'm also sad we miss out on a lot of cool shrimp varieties coming out of Taiwan, Japan or Germany.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks for detailed information, it's a shame you can't get any of the new variations, btw my pinto has berries, first time for me as a beginning.

Coming from a pet bird keeping hobby, I can easily back up what jayc said about imports.... not only can you not import animals, you can't export them either. The *ONLY* exception may come between New Zealand and Australia. Some animals can be moved between those two countries. Otherwise though, import and exportation for both countries is banned.

I live in the USA.

• Thanks 1

If you live in Australia, you might have heard about this before in the news:

Taiwanese student jailed for illegally importing crystal red shrimps

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/taiwanese-student-jailed-for-illegally-importing-crystal-red-shrimps/news-story/f735730cdafd30cfb23f319bbe29215d?sv=d06fddccb50ab7281cfc7e74da630b8f

• Thanks 1