wary of cholla wood due to fungus issues

beanbag

So I think the reason shrimp pick at cholla wood is that the wood slowly releases sugars, which causes a layer of fungus to grow on it.    However, I'm not sure I want to promote a pro-fungal environment in my new tank, especially given that some shrimp diseases are fungus related.  I used to have cholla in my old tank, and the shrimp generally liked picking at it. But, when bits of food that fall between the substrate chunks go bad, they also tend to grow some kind of clear gel-like goo on them that might be fungus.  The shrimp don't eat the food at that point.  The same for mulberry leaves, in that they will go bad with a clear goo after a few days, and the shrimp don't eat it anymore.  For some reason, Indian Almond leaves aren't susceptible to this problem.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody has noticed this difference with and without cholla. 

Hi beanbag!
Personally i do not use cholla wood in my tanks.
However, i believe if you are concerned with the goo, you could boil them first before submerging them into your tank?
As with all hardscapes that go into my tanks, i boil them if possible or if they have irregular shapes i would boil wash them prior.
Lots of nasties and gunk in and on them.
As for uneaten food that grow goo after feeding, suppose you could use a feeding dish?
Or as what simon has shared with me, crush up shrimp pellets and mix them all together than only feed them very little, a nip on a very small spoon. (Disponsable coffee stirs)
That way, they get abit of everything and it is sure to be finished? Otherwise, as far as food goes if the whole pellet was used, turkey baster the leftover, if not it is sure to foul between the substrate?
As for the goo growing on wood, i had brown goo growing on my bonsai driftwood when the tank was cycling, however, once the cycle was over and when the tank got more matured, the brown goo disappeared.
Not sure if we have the same kind of goo? But i find horned netrite snails eat this stuff up quickly and i would also think water parameters stabilizing as one of the reasons why this disappeared.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jo

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have never added Cholla into my tanks. Hearing a lot of negative feedback from people using it. Some people don't have issues, but some do. And that is enough for me to not risk it.

I have cholla wood in both of my 4gallon shrimp tanks and 2in my 75 gallon planted aquarium have not had a problem with any fungus growing on it. I did soak in fresh tap water and change every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks. I used the bonsai type branch in my 75 and it kept emitting a white growth or fungus out of all the ends that were cut. The branch did this for about 2 months I would siphon this off every week when making a water change. Some of the fish would pick at it but did not seem to effect the animals or plants. 

23 hours ago, beanbag said:

What are some of the issues?

Shrimp just die in masses. 

I don't know what the cause is, maybe pesticides were used to grow Cholla. Too much ferts absorbed?

Don't know cause I don't use it.

Edited by jayc

I use cholla in all my shrimp tanks and have done for quite a few years with no problems yet I here people do but is it a known fact that it harms shrimp. 

Noted. I think I will do some more research. Thank you for the info. 

I use cinnamon sticks in my shrimp tanks, beneficial for the shrimps and provides hiding spots for them just like cholla wood.

Where do you purchase these. Are they the same ones from the grocery .  Did more reading on cholla wood. What I found was they are not harmful in the aquarium and  need to be cleaned. Articles recomend to boil for 5 minutes or heat in oven or microwave for 1 minute. The articles said the cholla wood is a good producer of bio film which shrimp ( baby and adult ) love to feed on. 

Where do you purchase these. Are they the same ones from the grocery .  Did more reading on cholla wood. What I found was they are not harmful in the aquarium and  need to be cleaned. Articles recomend to boil for 5 minutes or heat in oven or microwave for 1 minute. The articles said the cholla wood is a good producer of bio film which shrimp ( baby and adult ) love to feed on. 
Yep i buy organic cinnamon sticks from the supermarket
Than i would boil them till they are semi soft?
Discard the water than i would soak them in distilled water for 2 days, changing the water everyday.
Than only would i dunk them in my tank.
I think jayc has written in the sub threads or something on their benefits.
They have some antifungal properties and i do not need to remove them as they are natural. Have them in my tanks for about a year now and they do not affect water parameters or cloud the water. Good stuff.
Noticed that mama shrimps would hide in there alot or shrimps post molt.
Like jayc, i have never tried cholla wood, only read that they are part of a cacti?(forgive me if im wrong)
So wont be fair to comment on their advantages. But yep, they are marketed alot in shrimp hobby shops.
Just have always thought why not use something cheaper with anti fungal properties, easily available, same hiding spots and lots of good reviews from shrimp breeders. (Mark's shrimp tanks on youtube has a video on them?)
Cholla wood here in singapore are not exactly cheap.
Regards,
Jo

Thanks for all the info Jojo I will buy some today and try it. The cost of the cholla wood on the internet sellers is around 3 dollars. The cholla wood will last about 12 to18 months.  Users of the cholla wood said if you heat in the oven for 5 minutes or microwave for 1 minute it must kill the spores that cause the fungus that seems to grow for some of the users. I have not had that problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I get cholla wood  straight from the Mojave desert away from any roads.  Yes it involves walking. I take it home, cut it to the needed size and wash it with a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle, then soak it for a few days. I have it in 4 of 6 shrimp tanks and never had a negative effect of any kind including slime. The shrimp love it. I replace it about every other year as they eat it away to nothing.  If you go this route remember to only collect already dead wood. Wear gloves, not just for leftover spines, but the desert has plenty of little guys that like to bite or sting. A scorpion sting can ruin (or not) a nice afternoon. Also be aware live cholla spreads by sticking to passing animals and falling off in other places.  There is even an old wives tale that it will jump onto you. if you brush up against a live one you will get stuck.

Edited by BigMantis.

So far I have not experienced some the problems other people have had. I have the cholla wood in 4 aquariums not seen the fungus they are talking about.