Shrimp died, no idea why.

qwas4321

Hey, my shrimp had just died. I suppose it's muscle necrosis but i'm not 100% sure. Can someone experienced help me out? All shrimp are fine, swim around and act normally but this little guy just acted up all day today, and finally died after struggling for quite a bit... i've recently had 2 berried mamas. I'm scared they could drop/lose their eggs after this? What do i do, now that it died? I secured the corpse and took it out immediately.

https://imgur.com/a/mudLcfV <-- 2 photos. I think it started losing the pigment today.

*edit - They are caridina taibee mixes

Edited by qwas4321

1 hour ago, qwas4321 said:

I secured the corpse and took it out immediately.

That's the right think to do.

If the others are acting normal, you don't need to do anything except to make sure your water parameters are ideal for taiwan bees.

The parameters are fine: ph 6-6.2, gh 6, kh 0 - 1, nitrates are 0, conductivity 300 uS. I just can't figure out what caused the little dude's death

*edit - I think the females abandoned their eggs? I'm not sure since i cant see the eggs anywhere but the berried females are either hidden or dont have the eggs anymore...

Edited by qwas4321

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Could you give more basic information to help others maybe help you, is it a new tank/old tank, what water do you use, what is your tank maintenance routine! I see you use active substrate from the photo. Are you new to shrimps and do you have other shrimp tanks? The more info you can give will help.

As you say, the mamas are probably hiding, that would be natural especially if near hatching time so try not to worry unduly at this stage. If the babies have hatched they will be clear for a few days anyway and so tiny you probably won't be able to see them until they colour up.

Simon

Hey, it's a relatively new tank (2 months old) I use ro water with the shrimp gh+salt. A small water change every 2 weeks (doesn't exceed 25%)  I clear the glass with a brush from time to time but I mostly just let the shrimp do their thing without disturbing them much. I don't feed them as there's only 9 (was 10) 

*it's my first tank

Edited by qwas4321

20 hours ago, qwas4321 said:

this little guy just acted up all day today, and finally died after struggling for quite a bit...

need more detail

14 minutes ago, beanbag said:

need more detail

He was sitting still all day. Barely moving. Like he was paralysed. I tried placing food in front of him and he didn't even flinch. When I finally tried to move him to the food he just toppled over and was too weak to stand back up. Shortly after, he died.

It was the same, the guy i bought it from kept them at a 320 uS conductivity and a gh of 5 to 6 (It came out as 6 on a test when i checked)

Probably best to do nothing at all then and wait it out. If you see another issue, then it could be muscle necrosis/bacterial infection.