Culling? But I only have one shrimp safe aquarium...

ShrimpNewb

So, here I am anxiously awaiting my Blue Dream Velvet shrimp and wondering, what if they birth red or red-rili, or some other odd blue-red mix?  Will that mean I am headed for wild type if I don't cull?  Of course, I only have one other tank, and I'm fairly certain my rams and Angel will love feasting on shrimp, so that's not happening.  Assuming all works out and I am successful getting them to breed, does that mean I have to get another tank or live with the changing of the colors?

I am just curious.  I am a newb, after all...

OK, I researched and answered my own question.  Either kill them, make a cull tank, or accept the changing gene pool.

The easiest route would be to take out the 'culls' and just put them in the fish tank, as you say the fish will enjoy the treat and you will probably also get some survive and breed in the fish tank where they will happily work away as cleaning crew etc. After all they would be a staple food source for lots of creatures in nature!

Hope all goes well with the beautiful blue shrimp when they arrive?

Simon

• Thanks 1

If you live in an area where the winter temps don't freeze, you could put them into an outdoor pond. That's another option. It can just be an old kids sand pit or flower pot with aquatic plants.

Alternatively, if the culls are not too bland, you can sell them back to a LFS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

The easiest route would be to take out the 'culls' and just put them in the fish tank, as you say the fish will enjoy the treat and you will probably also get some survive and breed in the fish tank where they will happily work away as cleaning crew etc. After all they would be a staple food source for lots of creatures in nature!

Hope all goes well with the beautiful blue shrimp when they arrive?

Simon

Well, you have me looking at my large tank thinking about creating hiding places for shrimp.  If I have to cull, I guess that gives them a better chance than if I just euthanize them.  Sadly, also reading JayC's comment, I don't live in a place where I can put them outside in the winter.  It's a snow day today.  Perhaps one of my favorite LFS's, from whom I got my lovely floating plants, will take culls.  He doesn't seem too particular about the shrimp in his tank.

You and JayC have given me ideas.  Thanks.

• Like 1

If your blue velvet starts to produce different color shrimps, it means its not a pure breed, and i'm sure you may get wild shrimps, that's what I'm getting, I will be starting a new tank for wine red, king kong and pinto (fishbone) soon.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpNewb said:

Well, you have me looking at my large tank thinking about creating hiding places for shrimp.  If I have to cull, I guess that gives them a better chance than if I just euthanize them.  Sadly, also reading JayC's comment, I don't live in a place where I can put them outside in the winter.  It's a snow day today.  Perhaps one of my favorite LFS's, from whom I got my lovely floating plants, will take culls.  He doesn't seem too particular about the shrimp in his tank.

You and JayC have given me ideas.  Thanks.

I'm getting to many wild, and low grade reds, I put them in my turtle tank. Starting another tank for king kong, wine red and pinto.

• Thanks 1

I have brown shrimp from red cherry  and they are in with fish, lots are alive and breeding in that tank. As they are brown I don't think the fish see them or are as interested in them! I had some in with a fighter as well and he wasn't interested in them either. I have even given loads to a friend who has a huge tank and he was taking them as food for his much larger fish and he has had a population ever since and is well happy but some must get eaten admittedly. Having said that they know they are prey so either hide or rocket across the tank (if you have never seen this you are in for amazement) when a predator comes close.

It's just part of natures cycle, and the ones that survive do nothing but good  in the tank as well, so why try and fight/beat it!

Simon

• Like 1