RO remineralizer for Neocaridina

ShrimpNewb

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Now you see why we suggested "shrimp" specific products rather than suggesting equilibrium in our earlier replies?

Oh, yes.  Live and learn.  This is, as my wife keeps telling me, a science project.

This has got rather long and involved, interesting though!

Just wanted to remind you that topping up tanks from evaporation will still need pure RO water (not mineralised) though so you will need to keep some Pure RO water aside for that.

Simon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

This has got rather long and involved, interesting though!

Just wanted to remind you that topping up tanks from evaporation will still need pure RO water (not mineralised) though so you will need to keep some Pure RO water aside for that.

Simon

Thanks, Simon.  I am a shrimpnewb after all.  My tank has pretty much zero evaporation - it's weird, but it seems to have something to do with not running a heater and the water temperature being the same as the room.  I'm just planning to switch over to the shrimp focused mineralizer with water changes over time.  I'll update the TDS differences I assume will be there.

Edited by ShrimpNewb
  • Like 2

I recently made the switch from sand and SS GH/KH to SL-Aqua substrate and GH only minerals (from same company - liquid form). When I switched everything over, I didn't even acclimate the shrimp. Knock on wood, I haven't seen a loss yet! It's only been a few days. Everything in the tank is the same except for the substrate and water. Also cleaned the sides and front of tank while I had it taken down.

It's a 10g tank, so I remineralized two 5g buckets of water, one of which I slightly over-remineralized. Figured it would work it out as I had tossed in some water that wasn't remineralized to the right parameters just to keep the plants in there wet. One bucket had been sitting around for a while with just RO water and the other only a few days before adding minerals. After everything has settled, it all worked out to about 7.5/8 GH which is about what I was aiming for.

I can't say I'll continue getting the liquid remineralizer right now, but we'll see with how this one does. Powders will always be more bang for your buck with how much water you can remineralize with it, but the liquids are supposed to contain more nutrients in them that are beneficial for shrimp. 

Tank has Caridina (YKK and ???) and Neocaridina (Bloody Mary) in it.

• Like 1

So, to get to Gh 6, Kh 2, and pH 7.2 using the Sera product I end up with a TDS of 178ppm.  That's around 50ppm lower than with Seachem Equilibrium.  I guess that makes sense, since there's something like 2.5x the potassium in that product that there is calcium.  We'll see if switching to Sera Shrimp Mineral affects the plants in some negative way, but as I am having to clear out salvinia and dwarf water lettuce every week, that may not be a bad thing.  ?

The tank is, after all, for the shrimp.

• Like 2