Natasha Balkwill

Ph problem or bacterial?

Natasha Balkwill

Hi Ladies and Gents, 

I need some help. Some of the shrimp in my PRL tank are starting to loose their colour and go translucent. I noticed this morning that the shell of one of them has changed to a light pink. He still has the thick white shell, its just the white part is turning pink. I'll attach a photo later on today. I know pink means internal bacterial infection but his "insides" look fine, its just his shell. By the time I went to get my phone to take a photo he ran to the other end of the tank ... typical.

My water prams 

Ph: 6.6

Gh: 6 

Kh: 0 

TDS: 241 

Temp: 22-24 degrees 

I  know my Ph and my TDS are a little high so I've been lowering it slowly over the last few weeks. I didn't want to change it too much and shock them. I do a 10% water change weekly and drip my new water in. I use a mixture of RO and tap water. I have fluval stratum in the tank and also have Indian almond leaves, subwassertang moss and cholla wood. I have green walls for them and I use a sponge filter. 

Is this a Ph problem or is this bacterial? I've attached a photo of one of the females that have changed colour and who have gone translucent. 

I appreciate all your help! 

• Like 1

beanbag

Maybe something in your tap water changed?  People with sensitive shrimp should not be trying to get their minerals from tap water.

I would get a GH remineralizer and do 10% water change per day (RO only + GH) to get the TDS down.

I dunno, could also be ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.  (test, and use Prime to temporarily fix)

Edited by beanbag
  • Like 1

Zoidburg

How long has the tank been set up for?

How long have the crystals been in the tank?

Have the crystal been breeding and reproducing?

It could be a pH issue, a bacterial issue, maybe even stress from parameters not remaining stable?

Natasha Balkwill

I was thinking that maybe something has changed with the tap water. My ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10 

The tank has been set up for over a year but these prls have been in there for 6 months. I've had prior crs in them before I put the prls in so the tank wasn't empty. 

The are breeding but the babies aren't really surviving beyond a few days old 

beanbag

Many people want nitrate to be even lower than 10ppm

sdlTBfanUK

I may be wrong but the PH looks fine.

Generally though it sounds like you are having the same problems I had years ago using tapwater. As beanbag says I would stay away from tapwater, use RO water and remineralise then you know what is in the water. As zoidburg says messing about with water parameters may also have caused them stress.

Simon

ps. (sorry every one else you must be a bit fed up of me linking this thread???) Here is the article I did about my problems and it may help, hopefully anyway?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/14025-tap-water-taiwan-bee-uk-zerowater/?tab=comments#comment-135328

• Like 1

Zoidburg

GH is kind of high... especially if they came from a tank with lower GH. GH should be 3-5 so lowering might help. Could also be a diet issue.

Agree best to use RO/distilled with GH minerals.

Natasha Balkwill

I only started lowering the tds and ph after they started to loose their colour otherwise the tanks prams have been stable. Maybe they have added something in the water here. My tank is 90% RO water at the moment and about 10% tap.

I thought it was diet related as well but they get such a variety of different shrimp foods and vegetables so I don't think it could be that. 

Maybe I'll switch to only RO water and use some salty shrimp and see if that helps. Its kind of frustrating not knowing what is causing the problem. 

Thank you I will have a read of that link 

• Like 1

jayc
2 hours ago, Natasha Balkwill said:

Maybe I'll switch to only RO water and use some salty shrimp and see if that helps

Yep. Do that as a starting point.

Stabilise pH and TDS. That is, keep it from rising and falling too much.

2 hours ago, Natasha Balkwill said:

Thank you I will have a read of that link 

You already use RO water, so that link might not help you.

Natasha Balkwill

jayc Thank you for that! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Glad we can be of some help and I agree you are doing the best thing by thinking it out thoroughly before you get started. It is very frustrating when you spend a lot of money on a small setup to then have to go and do the same again for another setup because it isn't big enough, way more economical and cost effective to get it right first time, though as you say you are starting with some of the stuff! I'm also sure that when I closed down the small one and moved the shrimps to the new tank that I probably lost half of the shrimplets as they were too small/young to be moved in reality but I really didn't want to have to run 2 tanks for a few months whilst I waited for them to grow - I had way too many anyway. I can't be much help regarding the 'chiller' as we don't have hot enough weather here, in fact even the humans don't get that over here (except in expensive cars)? A lot may depend where you are placing the setup as well, mine is in a dark corner that doesn't get any direct sun. If it isn't likely to get too hot there for a while you can of course come back to that as a separate issue as it won't mean disrupting anything in the tank anyway should you decide to get one later!  You are probably best steering away from the CO2 as it is one less thing to set up and, as you, I have read a lot of reports saying it isn't good with caridina shrimp setups, though I have no actual experience with it, but why risk it. Hope you will keep us informed/updated. Simon
    • joemjd9
      I agree with you both and you have changed my mind. I will go for mix of cardinia shrimp. Definately will be lot more interesting in terms of colours and patterns.   I do already have most of the stuff. The only thing that I do not is the Chiller and even though I do have the KegKing Co2 setup, I will stay away from it because its a cardinia setup. Will research a bit further into the chiller this, as I do not want to buy one for a small tank and realise that I need to invest on a bigger one down the line. Thank you guys for the input. Really appreciate the insight. P.S: Great pics Simon. That has certainly swayed me towards a mixed setup.
    • kms
      I started out with a 30cm tank, and it's my only shrimp tank, started of about November with Neo's and added a few Taiwan bee's, king kong, wine reds, pinto's and blue Bolts around feburary, my Neo's have multiplied, but given many away, and finally giving most away, leaving only cardinia, my water seems ok, since many of my cardinia are still here, and my Taiwan bee have berries, shrimplets should come any time. I think you should be prepared to spend money, for me I have a HOF, CO2, water cooler and the right light, i'm intend to change the current substrate from ADA to the PB, but have to wait for the Taiwan bee to have shrimplets.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Having multiple tanks and a tank rack may be where you want to go eventually but that is probably for the future? If you want to test out the cardina you may want to go the route I did in that having a mix of shrimps colour and pattern in one tank is certainly more interesting to look at than 10 tanks with single/pattern, and I keep getting new ones that I didn't have before, even the boss should like them!!!!! It is obviously a lot cheaper and takes up a lot less time and space as well. I got the 35L dennerle scapers tank (used 3L of substrate) and it is 40cm x 32cm x 28cm and it has 28L of water (my measuring jug is a cheap one so maybe inaccurate, but the tank isn't filled to the brim and stuff in the tank takes up some space). It would give you an extra 10cm x 32cm (plus 2cm x 30cm) which to shrimps is quite a lot, not that I am saying you should necessarily get this tank but just as an example of how less height (which isn't needed for shrimps) in a tank can make a lot of difference to the floor area of a 'similar' capacity tank, but you may think it is too much money for such a small increase, but obviously there is a whole range of other tank choices out there.I assume you would use the heater/light/filter etc from the old tank if you weren't going too much larger? And, of coarse, you can just stick with the tank you have and that should still work out fine for a starter/tester tank? If you want to see the mix then just click on gallery/New images and scroll down. You should show the boss and I a sure it will swing it in your favour! I don't think you should have any problems with caridina if you are sticking with remineralised RO water and proper shrimp products from the very start. It took me years to get to where I am now but I think ALL the problems I had were because I was trying to use 'tapwater', as soon as I started with RO remineralised no problems whatsoever. Any other specifics/question feel free to ask away. Simon
    • joemjd9
      Thank you very much Simon. I have certainly thought about the idea of secondary tanks. But i wanted to test out the Cardinia waters first. If they do capture my interest, I plan to seek my boss (aka wife) to approve the shrimp tank rack idea *fingers crossed* I have been going through this forum and the Shrimpspot forum to gain as much knowledge as I can to get a good start. Thank you again for your message. Every little bit helps.