Shrimps’s predator?

SpringWaterShrimps

Hello guys,

I know that some of you would not agree with this, but anyway, i try.

Im starting to have a lot of shrimps... and i would like to select them.. so here come the culling problem.

My question is: is there some fish, between 0-15 gallons, that could be the Shrimps Eaters, even if it’s adult shrimps.

I already have a betta, that i give him some juvenils. I already saw him eat one little juvenils, bit he is not really that effective.

So do you guys know some fish, that could be the solution?

Thanks for that.

Hi there!
I hope i did not misunderstand what you wrote? You are looking to find fishes to help in culling your shrimps?
Hmm if thats the case, i think a small school of community fishes will do the job for you?
I read somewhere that as long as the shrimp cn fit into the fish's mouth, they would eat them.
Or if you dont want the hassel of maintaining more livestock of fishes, i would keep all the culls in a tank and than feed the existing betta those culls daily? Kind of like a live storage of fresh food for the betta.
Or alternatively, i would prefer to pick out the culls and sell them off cheap.
Some hobbyists may be looking to fill their tanks up with shrimps and are not fussy about genectics and colouring.
Hope this helps,
Jo

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have had Betta before (and getting another but thats a different story).

I put the boring brownish/wild type cherrys in the tanks hoping the Betta would dispose of them but as with your experience he pretty much left them alone? I expect he may have had the occasional treat on a new baby one, but if he did I never saw it. It may have been that they were so well camouflaged that he didn't see them but I don't know.

I guess the problem with putting a fish or some fish that can eat the shrimp means they may wipe out the entire collection, though that may be ok if you are just using the fish to dispose of the unwanted shrimps from another tank.

The first Betta I had, I put red cherry shrimp in with him and he went after them, even adults?

Simon 

I have had Betta before (and getting another but thats a different story).
I put the boring brownish/wild type cherrys in the tanks hoping the Betta would dispose of them but as with your experience he pretty much left them alone? I expect he may have had the occasional treat on a new baby one, but if he did I never saw it. It may have been that they were so well camouflaged that he didn't see them but I don't know.
I guess the problem with putting a fish or some fish that can eat the shrimp means they may wipe out the entire collection, though that may be ok if you are just using the fish to dispose of the unwanted shrimps from another tank.
The first Betta I had, I put red cherry shrimp in with him and he went after them, even adults?
Simon 

That is exactly what i want. I put the shrimps in the fish tank. Not the fish in the shrimp tank. So my goal is that the fish eat all the shrimps. Offsprings or adults one. My betta got lucky sometimes, and got some but defined not enough.
When the lights are off, and my betta is sleeping, i can see that all the shrimps are out and living relax. Bit when the lights are on, i cant see any shrimps at all. They just adapt to that predation.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

I didn't mind if all the shrimps weren't eaten as I still believe that they were part of the eco system of the tank and were still doing some good, though they were virtually invisible in my case. As with you, when I put the red cherries (red ones) in the tank the betta went crazy chasing them but they ended up just hiding all day, so I removed them.

Do you like puffers as a friend had those and they attacked just about anything even if it is bigger than them? They are interesting to watch as well? Just a thought!

Simon

I didn't mind if all the shrimps weren't eaten as I still believe that they were part of the eco system of the tank and were still doing some good, though they were virtually invisible in my case. As with you, when I put the red cherries (red ones) in the tank the betta went crazy chasing them but they ended up just hiding all day, so I removed them.
Do you like puffers as a friend had those and they attacked just about anything even if it is bigger than them? They are interesting to watch as well? Just a thought!
Simon

Yea of course. I plan to have pea puffers for a long time now but even if they attack shrimps, they will not eat them. I dont want that to be a torture for the shrimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

Are you sure culling shrimps like this is the very last resort?

You can't sell it ? Or sell it to a Local Fish Shop?

• Like 1