PH at CO2 peak at 5.4 too low for CRS?

TheLordOfTheFish

I'm reposting this here from the general forum as it may be the more appropriate forum. I guess I just want to gave peace of mind, I keep hearing so many contradictory opinions on this question. I have a high tech CO 2 tank with ADA Aquasoil, 55 gallon, super heavily planted and I'm adding O2 with a twister Nano 24.7. If I completely degas the water, it is at 6.75 PH. I'm using RO water and remineralize it to GH 4-5 at around 140TDS. Now with CO2 on, my PH reads at 5.9 before the CO2 comes on, and PH 5.4ish at peak CO2. My KH is at zero. I used to add bicarbonates to raise it to 1dkh but a) the soil buffers it to zero within a day or two and b), I read that CRS like KH at zero.

I do have to add, I have about 15 CRS right now and they do ok, tend to hide a bit in the plants. 

Are these parameters OK with CRS and if not, how do I raise the PH with the insane buffering ability of ADA aquasoil? Some people say add crushed corals but that would deplete the aqua soil. Others say don't add any KH or else it will deplete the soil of the buffering capacity. I'm so confused!

Edited by TheLordOfTheFish

You can do as suggested or just try not using CO2 for a bit. I know CRS can take longer to breed than Neos can, so I don't know when they would start but would expect that they would have started already... unless you live in an area where it's winter so by the time they were old enough to breed, they haven't because it's winter.

I have come across one or two people who have them breeding in water with CO2 but just because they've had success doesn't necessarily mean someone else will.

Maybe look into diet and temps as well?