neo breeding rate

chongkt

hi. averages size my fire red, sunkist and YGB are +- 2cm. they breed couples time already. however there are only < 10 babies each time.  can someone please advise what went wrong here .

regards. 

Hope you don't take offence at this reply because it doesn't really answer your question.

I would be so happy if my shrimp had fewer babies so wouldn't worry too much in your situation as it soon gets to the point where you have too many babies as the population grows at quite a rate as they breed every 30 days (and after 3 months some of those babies will be female and breed also), unless you want hundreds of coarse because you are going to sell some or have a huge tank to populate!

Be patient and give it a few months and if everything is running well you may wish they didn't breed as easily as they do? If it is a new setup the tank may not be 'settled' enough to support too many yet either?

Simon

dear Simon,

thanks for comment.  I got not intention to sell. I just want the population expend so that I can see a lot of activity in my tank. I wouldn't be first and nor the last ppl wanted their shrimp to breed and got a lot of babies.  perhaps get another tank, which I'm looking forward to. 

regds  

Try feeding an algae food (no animal protein) twice a week, then a protein food once a week. If you can get a hold of the "right" products (and this can vary on tank), that feeding regime may help to increase the amount of offspring. Age can also play a factor as younger females tend to have less offspring.

In one tank with Neos, I have less Neos in the tank than what I originally put in... and that's including the new offspring. Not having any luck with Neos.... YKK's though seem to be better.

Edited by Zoidburg
error
  • Like 1

dear zoiburg ,

many thanks for the info.  I did the opposite way. I feed them twice a day.  l used  algae wafers, shrimp cuisine from Japan,  bottom feeder, algae eater from USA and shrimp natural,  dr. bassleer bio food from Germany , beside this I add IAL, mulberry leafs and blanche veggies.......  I think I need to adjust my schedule.  I trying to feed with plenty good food in order made sure they grow healthy n happy. 

best regards 

Meant to say, algae/vegetable twice a week, protein once a week.

Many of the foods that are labeled as "algae wafers" aren't actually algae wafers at all... it's often the 5th-9th ingredient on the list and you've got protein within the top 3 ingredients. This should be limited to once a week and heavier on the algae/vegetables. (not counting leaves)

ya i do that. fyi. I feed them small quantities.  just about 5 - 6 small piece per feed. this time I follow your suggestion. 

have a nice day. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chongkt said:

dear Simon,

thanks for comment.  I got not intention to sell. I just want the population expend so that I can see a lot of activity in my tank. I wouldn't be first and nor the last ppl wanted their shrimp to breed and got a lot of babies.  perhaps get another tank, which I'm looking forward to. 

regds  

I know what you mean about wanting lots, but patience is the answer. My Red cherry shrimps took a while to grow but now for years they have found 'maximum occupancy' to the point where the tank (and my feeding etc) probably can't support anymore and it always looks the same number of shrimps. If everything is good with your setup it won't take long to reach saturation point, if it is a small tank it will probably only be a matter of a few months?

Be cautious when feeding though as it is far too easy to overfeed and that can cause many problems?

I assume you already know that the mix you have will almost certainly interbreed with each other?

Simon