Ilibbs

Tiny white spots all over shrimp... Bacteria?

Ilibbs

First post here and very new to shrimp care. Have a planted tank with a handful of red rilis, some small guppies, and a few inevitable snails. I read through the stickied shrimp disease thread and couldn't find anything that described my problem. 

I noticed a couple of my shrimp showing tiny white dots all over their shell. It looks almost like the ich that wiped out some tetras a few months back (haven't seen it since... Treated the tank, let it cycle with no fish for 4 weeks, new fish aren't showing any signs of it). Nobody has died, they seem to act the same, eat the same, etc.

Now I may be mistaking a natural coloring here, I'm very new to dwarf shrimp. I am, however, dubious because it showed up on a different sub-species, whose picture I attached below (not sure what he is... came in the bag as a baby with some red rilis from the store). 

Notice the little white spots, even on his tail. I have another red rili with similar spots but I can't find him right now...

3711.thumb.jpeg.9bd9f5a99b7f824147d001f2de98fedb.jpeg

I don't have the full results but here is my water after I did my last change (tap water)

pH 7.5

Ammonia 0.25 ppm

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5 ppm

Temp 79

Not sure about gh/kh/TDS, test kits are en route so should know next week

Also I can try to get more pictures if it would help. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I've lurked on a few other threads and the info has been great so far!

jayc

How old/new is the tank?

If you are picking up an ammonia reading, that's not good for the shrimp. 

The white spots might be a reaction to ammonia.

Ilibbs

Thanks, Jayc. Ill keep an eye on the ammonia, do a water change, see what happens. Looks a bit down from my last test. 

Tank is about 3-4 months old. Cycled for a month to start before putting shrimp in.

Zoidburg

Did you ever get pictures of the other shrimp?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Hah! LOL, how did I know. If I was going to put a bet on one or the other, it would be the rocks from Phillip Island ... from the beach. How to test? do the vinegar test. Take out a bit of gravel, and a small stone. drop some vinegar on them to see if you get a reaction. Alternate test is to put them in a cup of water. Test the water GH and KH before adding, then test again after a few hours to see if KH and GH have increased.
    • Crabclaw
      ahh shoot. gravel was washed about 20 times thru, and rocks were boiled. gravel was sold as aquarium safe gravel, but the rocks were from phillip island, along the beach... how could i just test 1 or 2 to see if that's why? (they're all the same type, but i have a few big ones that r heavy and a bunch of small ones that i can test with)
    • jayc
      That means you have something else in the tank that is leeching carbonates - like a rock, or gravel or shell grit.
    • Crabclaw
      eek! I've been trying to reduce the hardness for a few weeks since i noticed it was high. I'm in melb, and my tap water is relatively soft, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the hardness when i do water changes. I've been doing up to 40% weekly (on average maybe 30%) but have barely seen improvement... I'm using water that's already at about 23 degrees from tap, would it make a difference if I used just cold? (I've only measured cold tap, not heated as i didn't think it would be different). Otherwise if I could get RO from somewhere would that help? Thanks!
    • jayc
      Those parameters are getting too high for a killi. Killis definitely prefer soft water and slightly acidic, pH under 7.0. Irrespective of what disease it might have, it would be a good idea to start reducing pH, GH and KH slowly now. Where abouts in VIC are you? Melbourne's tap water is generally very good for softwater fish. If we can't ID the disease, start with an all purpose cure, like malachite green.