Sign in to follow this  
TotalNewb

Moving a rack/ bay - tips needed

TotalNewb

Help please!

I bought a rack set up with 9 tanks and a sump. It is full of stock, neo-cardinia, cardinia  and sulawazi shrimps + a tank of endler guppys. 

I am collecting it tomorrow with help from friends and a borrowed van. 

Has anyone moved a rack before and what tips can they share please?

We were thinking of lowering the water level right down and then moving them very gently in the cars - with the water in 25L drums in the van cause I don't have that much RO water spare so it will be going back in as soon as we can set it up. 

They are moving less than 2km down the road and I will have my heating on full blast to keep the house warm - current temperature here is about 10 degrees celcius. 

I am worried about the Sulawasis but I reckon if we keep them plugged in with the heater for as long as possible and put them back ASAP they "Should" be ok...fingers crossed. 

I just read that tanks should never be moved with water in them but it will take HOURS to catch all the shrimp as there are literally hundreds of them

sdlTBfanUK

I have no experience of this but it is something I have contemplated many times, should I move etc. I was planning to do exactly what you are thinking of doing, I have 25L plastic drums in preparation and would leave as little as possible water in the tank(s) about 2 inches say. I would also remove any heavy rock or other heavy item, and anything that may move a lot (fall over) in transit. I have kept the original boxes that the tanks come in but you won't have that. The tanks will still be bloody heavy so it would probably be a good idea to get some heavy duty boxes (if they are smallish tanks it may be worth buying a few of those plastic type storage boxes (there are many sizes) as they are cheap and water tight in case of splashing water enroute (the below link is just for ref, but you can get them from lots of cheapy stores). You don't need to buy 9 as you can do 3 trips of 3 as you only need then for the transit part! If the boxes are big enough you can put other bits from that tank in as well to keep it nice and easy to set up the other end!

https://www.diy.com/departments/xago-heavy-duty-clear-51l-plastic-large-stackable-storage-box/3663602763376_BQ.prd

I would also make sure you don't mix the waters and know which water came from which tank, even if it means a few more trips, so that the same water they are used too goes back in the same tanks.

A friend has moved his 360L tank with a bit of water etc as you plan, though it took 2 people to carry it.

Hope something in this may be helpful and good luck tomorrow.

Simon

TotalNewb

@sdlTBfanUK Thanks! I'm so excited but also really nervous!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • kerkc
      By kerkc
      I've had these snails in my tank for over a year and I don't know what kind they are. They're incredibly hardy and unknowingly got them attached to some plants I got at petsmart. If anyone can ID them please help me! I live these guys and they're the only snails that have survived living with my goldfish.

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      You're doing fine so carry on as you are until you feel the cycle is done. My normal schedule is 10%water change every week however I don't think you need to do any while the cycle is going on until/unless the nitrates or ammonia get too high, or the PH gets too low. The lower the Ph the slower the bacteria reproduce! As you only have 2 shrimps they won't be messing the water enough anyway at this stage, I hope they are still doing well? Can you take a lower resolution photo, or reduce the photo size on a computer? If you want to email it to me I can reduce it for you lavissimon@gmail.com - I had to do it often in the past.. Simon
    • Brando
      Ok I will continue to add fluval cycle every other day starting today. I have a piece of driftwood I could add which will lower ph too. Should I only water change once a week? Also, I have 3 java ferns, some small almond leaves, and driftwood. I can’t upload a picture due to size.
    • Crabby
      Do you have plants in the tank? And sorry for asking multiple times, but can you send a photo of the tank through so we can see the setup? 
    • jayc
      Yes, just right.   That's good news. It looks like there is some bacteria in the tank and it's processing the ammonia. Nitrates are building up however, but that can be reduced with water changes. Continue using the Fluval Cycle at every water change, ie. weekly. Just keep working on reducing the pH slowly.    
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That temperature is perfect! The wood and any Indian Almond leaves will be a slow (and that is what you want) PH reduction. It looks to be going well, the main thing is to change things very slowly if everything is otherwise ok! If the shrimp are active and investigating that is a good sign! Simon