New tank setup for yellow shrimps.

jojowhisky

Too bad I'm no where near you. I'd happily come take some off your hands ?

Edited by jayc

1 hour ago, jayc said:

You never know, someone near Hastings UK may see this and get in contact at some stage! Chances quite slim though, so I won't hold my breath!

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jayc said:

Thanks for the nudge, I have put something in the for sale section about free to anyone if wanted. I am new to forums so let me know if I have done anything wrongly. Better than keep killing them so worth a try?

Simon

• Like 2

Too bad I'm no where near you. I'd happily come take some off your hands [emoji1]
Unfortunate im in singapore!
Else i would get my livestock from you for sure simon!
I wish you well and lots of sales in the news section, you never know what could happen.[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, jojowhisky said:

Unfortunate im in singapore!
Else i would get my livestock from you for sure simon!
I wish you well and lots of sales in the news section, you never know what could happen.emoji5.png

I have put an advert in the 'for sale' section so someone may want free shrimp locally, however it is a bit of a needle in a haystack but I would rather give them away than kill them!!!!!¬

Hope your new tank is cycling nicely.

Simon

• Like 2

I have put an advert in the 'for sale' section so someone may want free shrimp locally, however it is a bit of a needle in a haystack but I would rather give them away than kill them!!!!!¬
Hope your new tank is cycling nicely.
Simon
Yep today i did a wc using tap water like what our guru jayc suggested.
I also squeezed the sponge from the filter in the pail into the new tank. Topped up to the brim of the tank with abit of water from the pail as i did a wc there(the pail) as well.

Ps my ph pen arrived today in the mail.*happy*

12 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

ph pen arrived today

Ooo new toy.

I'm no guru. I'm still learning ?

Hello everybody!
Today i did a test strip reading for this cyclig tank.
The nitrites read 0
Nitrates 50
Ammonia >0.05

I did what you guys suggested using tap water to cycle the tank and monitor the ph
Also dropped in a food pellet and squeezed the sponge filter from the pail in the tank. Than i pretty much eft it to its own devices.

With the above reading, CAN I ASSUME THIS TANK IS NOW CYCLED?! (put it on caps because the anticipation to put them in their new home is there everyday!!!)

Haha i guess we are all like this when tanks are cycling?

Cheers

Ammonia is still detectable at more than 0.05.

Did you test straight after water change?Test it after 2 hours. 

Ammonia is still detectable at more than 0.05.
Did you test straight after water change?Test it after 2 hours. 
Nope this is water that is a week old.
I am using the JBL Nh4 test
It is a liquid drop set. >0.05 is the lowest there is no indicator for 0

Sounds like it has cycled. Nitrates are high, that means the bacteria has been converting ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates.

So time for a 90 - 99% water change with your distilled water and adjust the parameters to suit your shrimp.

• Like 1

Sounds like it has cycled. Nitrates are high, that means the bacteria has been converting ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates.
So time for a 90 - 99% water change with your distilled water and adjust the parameters to suit your shrimp.

Yay!!! Ok will go do that wc when i get home later*happy*
Last min christmas shopping..

Great news, hopefully they MAY be in their new home very soon, maybe even christmas (and you can pack away the temporary stuff they were in, I remember how good that felt for me).

As JayC says, the nitrates are high but my fish and neo shrimp tank always reads 50 (I use strips though so they only have 10, 25, 50 and so on, and so as with your ammonia test you can't get 0) and has done for years with no noticeable problem at all, unless you count plants and moss growing at ridiculous super-speed a problem?

Do you have a delivery date for your RO water system? 

Simon

Great news, hopefully they MAY be in their new home very soon, maybe even christmas (and you can pack away the temporary stuff they were in, I remember how good that felt for me).
As JayC says, the nitrates are high but my fish and neo shrimp tank always reads 50 (I use strips though so they only have 10, 25, 50 and so on, and so as with your ammonia test you can't get 0) and has done for years with no noticeable problem at all, unless you count plants and moss growing at ridiculous super-speed a problem?
Do you have a delivery date for your RO water system? 
Simon
Hi simon,
Guess what, it was a tough christmas over here.
The 3 adult shrimps in the pail all died in the christmas weekend together with the babies?!
All but 2 babies were left;(
I checked the water it was all good, do you remember the initial tds was skyhigh at abt 350? I gradually did wc each week to bring it to 200. Nitrites n ammonia was o
Nitrates was 10
Everything else seems to be ok;( gh was 6 kh was 4 (these were never changed)
Speaking of the 2 babies, actually one was lifeless and seem to be dying off but it came back alive when i was scoppig the healthier one into the cup to be drip acclimated to the new tank.
Now both are doing well in the new tank.
After a complete wc with distilled in the new tank, the parameters are such:
Tds 186
Nitrites 0
Ammonia less than 0.05
Nitrates 10
Ph 6.4
Gh 6
Kh 3
Hope things will be ok.

I suspect the temp in the pail got too high as the temp in singapore was crazy hot in the christmas week.
Have the ac set at 24°c now as i have also lost 2 crystals in the main tank as well.
Temps in the main tank was 29°c with my ceiling fan switch on at full speed. Removed the tank covers because i did not want the heat to be trapped in the tank.
d2fdf0012b73bf01bcf8fcdd5167f807.jpg

I have the ro system coming in mid jan just before i make a trip to japan.
Really upset over so many deaths in one weekend.

SO SO SORRY to hear that you lost some of the shrimp at the weekend. I am sure many members will feel your pain as probably all of us have been there (me many of times to the point where I gave up for a year). From what you say it looks likely the temperature was the problem otherwise it would be unlikely to have the problems in 2 completely different setups at the same time where they were both doing well before! Fingers crossed that the 2 babies survive.

At least you will be in a better position to get some more shrimps as at least you have the tanks up and running so you shouldn't need to do the pail setup again and won't need to keep adjusting the water parameters as you now have the system steady, and more knowledge and experience. It is better to get the setup up and running before you get the shrimps I assume anyway. You were doing outstanding up to that point and lets face it the weather isn't within your control!

I hope you have some crystal shrimp left as well, to keep you going with both tanks.

YOU CAN'T give up now, New Year coming up, so NEW YEAR, NEW START, SOME NEW SHRIMPS!

We don't have a heat problem over here so I can't help much with advice on that aspect for the future without the chillers etc? I would maybe float a plastic bowl in the tank(s) with some cold water in it from the fridge and maybe drop a couple of ice cubes in the cold water bowl every so often (keep changing the cold water when it warms up from the tank heat), that may work if you don't get long/lots of periods of heat and don't want to bother with chillers etc - that is what I would try IF we ever have that problem, unlikely though - the water is being circulated anyway so I can't see there being a problem with different temperatures around the tank and I assume it is a bit cooler anyway at night as well.

Again, sorry to hear of the disaster, and hope you're not too upset/deflated?

Simon

• Like 1

Yeah actually to be honest, i am starting to feel abit dejected.
I was expecting bigger progress out of myself but i still see dead shrimps. Again, especially over that weekend, the shrimps in the pail(all the adults and babies) died one after another. They were dropping lile flies and i could not stop it! Was so frantic because the water was all good than when i realised it was probably the temps, all of them were gone. It was traumatizing never had shrimps die on me like one everyday.
Anyways, thank you for the encouragement.
My sister got me a bag of yellow top shrimps from a breeder and i just got them today.
They are drip acclimating to the new tank right now. I was not too thrilled to receive th at first because i lost the whole colony from the pail. But well, i am just applying what i learnt from this forum and giving this another shot.

After all your effort and expense you have to give it another go or 2! If the shrimp your sister got you are yellow with the yellow stripe along the back then they are NeoCaridina so should be quite sturdy/adaptable, and very pretty. At least they will go straight into a tank this time. Hope everything goes well with them. I'm sure that if you managed to keep the oranges alive and breeding in a pail for as long as you did you can't be doing anything much wrong.

I know what you mean about everything looks ok as my water parameters always looked good when I tried before, but it was obviously water supply for me, which the Zerowater jug has sorted.

Enjoy watching the new (and hopefully some crystals are left in the other tank) shrimps and try not to let it worry you. I doubt there is anyone with shrimps that hasn't had some disaster(s) at some point. Keep us updated!

Simon

• Like 1

After all your effort and expense you have to give it another go or 2! If the shrimp your sister got you are yellow with the yellow stripe along the back then they are NeoCaridina so should be quite sturdy/adaptable, and very pretty. At least they will go straight into a tank this time. Hope everything goes well with them. I'm sure that if you managed to keep the oranges alive and breeding in a pail for as long as you did you can't be doing anything much wrong.
I know what you mean about everything looks ok as my water parameters always looked good when I tried before, but it was obviously water supply for me, which the Zerowater jug has sorted.
Enjoy watching the new (and hopefully some crystals are left in the other tank) shrimps and try not to let it worry you. I doubt there is anyone with shrimps that hasn't had some disaster(s) at some point. Keep us updated!
Simon
You just delivered an uplifting pep talk for me!
Thank you. (Really needed some form of it)
She bought me a bag of 15 "yellow top" shrimps, yep i went to read up they are neo caridinas.
Im impressed the home breeder was keeping them in good water as compared to local fish stores. I tested their water and tds was 145.
Fish stores had crystals kept in water with tds of 280 to 300(im shocked they were still alive when i got them back than)
Here are some photos of them(yellow tops) in their new tank, the two babies are still alive(thank God).
One of them came already berried i will do everything i can to ensure a smooth delivery.

The first picture shows my main tank with the fire reds and crystal reds. I lost one crystal and 2 fire red adults at the christmas weekend.

Will look around for an aquarium chiller, singapore is clearly not a place to rear crystals or probably all species of shrimp as ot gets really hot. Im just thinking ahead as we do get really burning hot days in feb through april.
b65bb345f11825bbee21bfd69ad3aa4a.jpg39c65f5d7c0232e30fdb8899d409ec56.jpgc87e87255c981d5cbf1e94c36f650652.jpg42f1f8896f5bc30ef91b143e406fe086.jpg640bbf3028eb2c575fcc76c2ad16619d.jpg440e578417d21dd25bb99af475851be6.jpg311272a46d625039982553894cdc5f25.jpg0eefa4361d0adb1557b5647a76324bf6.jpg

• Like 1

I am pleased to see you have some crystals left (and I see you have a thermometer in the tank).

You have a good sister as she has forced you to move forward and those yellow stripes are beautiful and I expect the bodies will colour up even more after they have fully settled in and feel more secure and safe in their new environment. Now you can just enjoy watching them and hopefully the berried one will have babies soon. Eggs start yellow (the yoke) and then go grey as the yoke is consumed I believe so you should be able to tell how far along the process she is?

IF you do get the odd one die in the first 2 weeks try not to panic or change anything too much as it will likely be down to the stress, or may have been unwell/weak when you got it, but you don't want to panic, start changing things and risk stressing all the others out. I don't think I have ever had 100% survival in the first few weeks/month and you have plenty, but I will keep my fingers crossed you don't lose anymore!

There may be the crossbreeding issue to think about at some stage but as the orange ones are babies you can put that decision off for now as they don't start breeding until about 3 months old. 

I (personally) think it is better to buy direct from the breeders than in a fish shop as it means the shrimp only have to adjust the once to new water instead of twice (in short succession which must cause them stress???) when a fish shop is used, that's just based on logic and I have no evidence though? All mine were bought straight from breeders (ebay) over here, and sent in the post, but the UK is small enough for delivery to be less that 24 hours from point to point so I understand this may not be as viable/easy in bigger countries.

Hopefully you have now found renewed enthusiasm with the new shrimps your sister bought you! They certainly are beautiful - great photos.

Simon

• Like 1

Yep the berried one has yellow coloured eggs.
So i must assume it is quite early in pregnancy.
Well, lets all cross our fingers. I really do not want to be a shrimp killer.
Today is day 1 of me putting them in here. (Released them in here at about 2am this morning), no deaths so far, one molted and they are so hungry because they cleaned up almost all the algae that grew whilst the tank was cycling. I did not clean the surfaces and plants as i wanted that biofilm and algae? They also ate up all the melted hair grass? Should be them because there is only one horned nerite snail in here. Was just dreading the act of removing all the melted hair grass bits and replanting the good ones(painstaking process) but they cleaned it all up for me in the few hours they were here!
Will put in any updates here on this tank.

Also i noticed i may have packed too many plants and rocks in here at different levels?
Have been observing them and realized that if anyone died, i dont think i am able to see the body:(
Will need to count them whenever im looking at the tank i guess.

• Like 1

It is very wise to take it one day at a time with the new shrimps, hope they have all survived to day 2.

Personally I would leave all the plants for now and just maybe make small changes or remove 1 small thing when you do some maintenance. They will like all the extra things to climb on and explore (and hide in, moulting, hatch babies etc) and I think biofilm will grow on the more surface area you have as well! I am sure they will be happier. You will need to keep on top of it, but you probably can see most of your tank from one angle or another?

I know what you are saying about not being able to see any dead ones but you have quite a few in there so I personally wouldn't (and don't with mine, heavily planted) worry and just do a rough count. I NEVER see a dead one, but they must die, I assume the snails eat those, or the shrimps (not sure about that though)!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Simon

• Like 1

It is very wise to take it one day at a time with the new shrimps, hope they have all survived to day 2.
Personally I would leave all the plants for now and just maybe make small changes or remove 1 small thing when you do some maintenance. They will like all the extra things to climb on and explore (and hide in, moulting, hatch babies etc) and I think biofilm will grow on the more surface area you have as well! I am sure they will be happier. You will need to keep on top of it, but you probably can see most of your tank from one angle or another?
I know what you are saying about not being able to see any dead ones but you have quite a few in there so I personally wouldn't (and don't with mine, heavily planted) worry and just do a rough count. I NEVER see a dead one, but they must die, I assume the snails eat those, or the shrimps (not sure about that though)!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Simon
Day two today!
No dead shrimps, "obessively counting" them!
(I should get over myself in a few months, too upset i guess)
They are clearing the algae and biofilm real fast!
Noticed this batch from the breeder are so lively, this is my first time buying from a breeder as opposed to a fish store. I just am so surprised at how lively they are. (Had thought they are very mellow in nature)
On a side note, the video you introduced to watch, it was sponsered by dennerle i think? I bought a pack of shrimp king 5 leaf mix for them to munch on. Wow! They went even more crazy over it.
Have noticed yellow neos are not so aggressive with food and are willing to share, crystals however, they fight over food? Dont know, but mine do :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jojowhisky said:

Day two today!
No dead shrimps, "obessively counting" them!
(I should get over myself in a few months, too upset i guess)
They are clearing the algae and biofilm real fast!
Noticed this batch from the breeder are so lively, this is my first time buying from a breeder as opposed to a fish store. I just am so surprised at how lively they are. (Had thought they are very mellow in nature)
On a side note, the video you introduced to watch, it was sponsered by dennerle i think? I bought a pack of shrimp king 5 leaf mix for them to munch on. Wow! They went even more crazy over it.
Have noticed yellow neos are not so aggressive with food and are willing to share, crystals however, they fight over food? Dont know, but mine do ?

Good to hear they are still doing well and no more loses............

I like dennerle and use mostly their products. I have the 5 in 1 variety pack of foods and have smashed that up with a hammer and mixed it so they get a mix/variety every other day and that way it is less likely I overfeed. I like the dennerle GH+ because it is drops so couldn't be easier to use whereas the others are powder form.

I think you are right about temperament as I haven't seen my cherrys fighting over food like the Taiwan bees do. The cherries don't seem as bothered about feeding time either, but the Taiwan bees go nuts??

I still count mine every day (65 today) but it is a quick count and they move around so much it can't be taken seriously and there are a lot of hiding places. I assume I can see about two thirds so there is probably 100ish?

Yours must be happy if they are constantly busy, but they have a nice tank with light etc whereas the orange were in a dark pail so that may have made them less active anyway.

I think one of the things that makes them interesting is their always busy doing something - I get tired just watching...........

One other thing I noticed from you photos is that they 'LOOK' (I could be wrong) adult size so you won't know how old they are, breeders over here tend to sent juveniles (about half size) so you won't know how old they are or have left lifespan wise. It isn't likely to be a problem as with 15 they will readily breed anyway I'm sure, but just bear that in mind should you see a dead one?

Simon

Ok thats it i am hammering my foods like what you do. (Genius)
Yeah, i got them all adult sized im gonna assume because they are not small, thats for sure.
And if you are right, well i guess if they do pass on earlier than i want them to, age could be the reason this time?
*signs*

Wow you got so many in one tank*aspirations*
I hope to get there one day.
Yes i can relate to you as well, i can stare at the tank till i feel sleepy. The husband is very perplexed by it everyday haha.

It is much easier to hammer the food when it is first bought and before the packet is opened so it doesn't go all over the place? I remember it took some hammering though as some are very tough! I then keep it all mixed together in an old plastic container with flip top (I think it had ammonia test strips in originally) and dip an old shrimp lolly stick (or pin, or straightened out paper clip I use in the other tank for nano fish food for the fish) into the tank (only about 4mm) back into the food then back into the tank - all quite quickly so not too much food gets picked up, and as the 5 different foods are all in the container they probably get some of each, but different proportions each time. I use this same dip a stick method for the chi ebi, bacter ae and beta glucan as well and it seems to be working well for me so far!

The general belief seems to be feed all foods less than the manufacturers recommend and the sticks are a set size usually for ?recommended number of shrimps? so makes everything easy to calculate (that is probably why they make them like that), but as you know if you put just the one lump in the tank they will just squabble over it so best to put a few smaller bits of total about half the recommended quantity in (that's my theory anyway) so they all get some without fighting each other as much!

With bigger tanks I guess it doesn't matter as they probably have hundreds of shrimps so you would then use many pads/sticks anyway.

Hope day 3 is going well with the newbies? Have you seen either of the 2 baby orange shrimp?

Simon

• Like 1