Breeding Rack No.2

BlueBolts

Yeah, leaning towards the K1 media ATM.....anyone actually using it ? Would appreciate comments/feedback...

Yeah' date=' leaning towards the K1 media ATM.....anyone actually using it ? Would appreciate comments/feedback...[/quote']

Bro BB, I am actually using K1 media in DIY bottles in every partition/tank.. Can read up on my blog under 'Filtration' on how I did those DIY bottles.. But from what I know, K1 media will grow nitrifying bacteria on them.. These bacteria only feeds on ammonia and nitrite.. They also need oxygen that's where the bubbles comes in and also helps to 'move' the media around...

But if you are looking at nitrate reducing bacteria.. Those are anaerobic bacteria which need low (or no) oxygen environment.. Algae scrapper is a good idea though (although I have never tried it..)

You will be most welcome to visit me when you are in Singapore.. We can have a long talk and share experiences..

I'm using k1 I haven't seen any spikes of any thing since been using it I'm actually having trouble with its movement ATM I have mine in a stainless steel mesh circle in bottom of my sump eith a large air-stone to stir things up currently have about 2 Ltrs of k1 media in there but I am thinkin it is too much

Re-investigated the nitrate issue again, and have came to the same conclusion to my 1st breeding setup...to get a denitrator. My biological and mechanical filter is handling the ammonia and nitrites extremely well, but the issue with nitrates linger..... The denitrator on my 1st breeding rack is now seeded, and producing near zero nitrates.

On hols ATM, can't wait to return home to setup this breeding g rack :-( damn holidays ! Getting in between my shrimps & me ! LOL.

Nitrazorb is great, and always have em for emergency use for my nano tanks.....but the denitrators are working 24/7, whereas the nitrazorbs, need to be replaced, and gets expensive.

marcus give me a call when your home if you need a hand to move out the 620 and move the new rack into place...

Heading home 2day.....yahoo, will post progress. Busy weekend ahead....but in a great way !

Finally home, 1st hurdle was to relocate my Aquaone 620T (130 lt) across the room.... Thanks Honcho for the loan of the drum....as advised, siphoned 40% of the tank's water, and managed to easily push the tank !

From here to here....

post-24-139909847737_thumb.jpgpost-24-13990984774_thumb.jpg

Moved the new breeding setup in it's place, and filled with tap water for a final plumbing/filter/leak check.....

post-367-139909847743_thumb.jpg

Drained entire tank, used 4 teaspoon of Benibachi powder for each tank, and did a 20% Tap & 80% RO Water for the final fill ...Note 2nd picture was filled with a garden hose, on a fine mist (notice how clearthe tanks is), and 3rd picture is just pouring the RO water in (poured too quickly, causing a dust storm).

post-310-139909859003_thumb.jpgpost-367-139909847746_thumb.jpgpost-310-139909847749_thumb.jpg

All almost done..... Didn't manage to fit my G3 into the unit....had initially plan to use a 2215, but used a 2217 instead, and the extra few cm, has unfortunately stolen that little space I needed. Don't mind the G3 at it's current location, but couldn't prime it to the sump, as the G3 needed to be 500mm under the intended tank.....will have another go tomorrow, and/or work out an alternative solution.

post-310-139909859008_thumb.jpg

Will do a 30% water change with "old tank water in 24 hours, and a 50% filter media change with an existing filter media in 48 hours, and another 30% water change in 72 hours, another 30% change in 96 hours.....water test, and in go water test shrimps !

12.40am....almost time for bed !

post-24-139909847333_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847335_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847337_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847338_thumb.jpg

post-24-13990984734_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847342_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847344_thumb.jpg

Wow you are game pushing the AR620T on the original stand. They are a piece of #@*%. I should know I have one.

The new setup looks awesome.

how exciting!! cant wait to see this set up, what mosses etc will you be using?? similar scapes to the other rack??

Thanks Brad....yeah, similar mosses, whatever I have on my other tanks...just tying and sorting them out now....I'm not much of a scape artist...:-(

Progress of the breeding rack #2 has been excellent...Been doing a 20%, 50/50 RO/old tank water change each day, with 50% filter media exchange with a existing tank, plus washed out a cannister filter sponge/media in the sump on day 3. Added a DAS on day 4, a colony of choc cherries on day 5, and some of my mishling, Tibee & TB yesterday. Adding more this arvo, once I've done a complete WP check.

post-696-139909847873_thumb.jpgpost-696-139909847877_thumb.jpgpost-277-13990985905_thumb.jpg

Oli from Aquotix gave me the solution for the Fluval G3, as the unit is above the sump/tank, whereas it needed to be 500mm below..... Installed a Philmac One-Way valve (with spring removed) on the inlet pipe into the tank, and the outflow under the water level to avoid air sucking back into the unit...in case of a blackout, and power returning etc....

The LED lights used are too bright for my liking...

Ammonie @ 0.25 (Day 5 @ 0.5), Nitrite @ 0 and Nitrate 5, PH 6.4.

post-24-139909847427_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847429_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847431_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kitz....yeah, I had the 1st one to go by, so was really just following status quo.....the excitement was putting shrimps in...

2 weeks since initial setup, and the tank has totally settled it, with Ammonie & Nitrite @ 0 and Nitrate 5, PH 6.4. Found 2 berried shrimps over the past 24 hours, so system has been given the healthy tick:triumphant:.

Not a 100% pleased with the driftwood/moss setup, as the shrimps are difficult to see/find at times, even with a rear glass mirror. As long as they're happy I suppose...

18 days from initial setup, found 4 berried females ....OEBT x Mishling, OEBT x WR, Tibee x Mishling(SW) and OEBT x OEBT ....

post-24-139909859102_thumb.jpg

Will be checking WP closely to ensure there's no spikes etc... Fingers cross...

post-24-139909847537_thumb.jpg