GH too high

Zailyn

Hi, so last night I saw on of my Sakura shrimp struggling to molt. I didn't know how I could help so I let it be.

Now I woke up this morning to 3 dead shrimp all looking like they were trying to molt. I tested my waters and these were the results. I used API's Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Ph: 7.6 - 7.8

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

KH : It took 6 drops for the color to change so if I understood it right it's around 100ppm

GH : It took 17 drops for the color to change so I'm guessing it's around 320ppm

I'm guessing GH is too high. I used tap water with a water conditioner. I always use the recommended dose after water changes etc. How can I decrease the GH and maybe even the PH?

Extra information I dose daily the recommended amount of liquid CO2 and I just started feeding the shrimp Shrimp King Complete. Tank mates : 1 Betta Fish, 7 Neon Tetras and 5 Forktail Tetras along with 4 Rock Shrimp and 4 Amano Shrimp.

Any ideas why 3 shrimp died in 1 night. I got these shrimp in a batch of 15 around 1-2 weeks ago and there were only like 2 other deaths that I know of..

Thanks for your assistance.

There is no need to convert German Degrees to ppm. Telling us how many degrees in drops is fine.

Do you know what GH and KH they came out of?

The best way to lower the parameters is using RO water, but you may want to consider using RO/distilled with a shrimp specific remineralizer for the best chance of success at keeping them. You could aim for a GH of 6-8. Tetras may appreciate the lower GH, too.

As to why the shrimp died? Other than high parameters? Could be diet, water changes, maybe not enough aeration, or?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...