• Similar Content

• sdlTBfanUK
      By sdlTBfanUK
      It is probably too early to start this but as I have no idea really what I am doing I thought it a good idea to maybe get others thoughts/ideas from the beginning?
      The aim is to find out if I can reduce the life of the 'buffering' of soil substrates for anyone wanting to use soil substrate with cherry shrimps which do better at higher PH than buffering substrates run, until they are exhausted, and before they get shrimps in the tank - that can't be many people I know???
      I set up a betta tank mid March and the buffering with the JBL substrate stopped about 4 months later., though you may be able to knock off a month as I was only doing part (25%) water changes?  Obviously no one wants to wait that long so I am just trying this experiment as I have 2L of shrimp king soil left over anyway. that I won't use!
      At the moment I have put 5L dechlorinated tap water in a bucket with 1L of substrate. The tap water is PH7.5 (KH3, TDS 154) and I am planning to do 50% water changes twice a week until the PH gets back to the 7.5 at which point I can assume it is exhausted? I will then try the same experiment using PH+ to see if that will speed up the process, but I haven't ordered that just yet?
      Any suggestions, am I doing it correctly, does it even make any sense?
      So this should give me an idea of how long it will take to stop buffering just using tap water but doing twice weekly 50% water changes, and then whether using PH+ would speed it up notably?
      This is just to get an idea, and different soil substrates will probably be different so I am not really looking for a definite answer as to the time length etc, more an idea as to whether either of these will work well for others in the future that want to keep cherry shrimp with the soil substrates. Having said that I have always kept cherry shrimp in lower than recommended PH (to start wirh) without a problem anyway?
      Simon 

• @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      I'm starting a brand new #neomix tank.  I won't be adding or taking out any shrimp, just documenting developments along the way.  I'm interested to see if any new variants develop, and what the tendency towards brown is.  I'll be sharing updates on my channel if you are interested in following along.   Enjoy!  #shrimptv
    • @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      Green shrimp  I looked at one of my green Neocaridina under the microscope, and I'm trying to determine if all green shrimp are like this... or just mine.  Any insight from other green or jade shrimp keepers?

• Brentwillmers
      By Brentwillmers
      Hi I wonder if someone could help with a bit of confusion I have regarding Blue verities of Neocaridina and the gene pool. 
      This is what I have so far and not sure if it correct. 
      1) Black/Chocolate Cherries will produce Blue Diamond. 

2) Blue Diamonds will produce higher grade Blue Cherries 

3) Rili will produce Blue Dreams
      from there I'm not sure where Blue velvets fit in. 
      What type of Rili will give you Blue  Dreams  
      cheers 

• @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      It's official! Red and Blue marble offspring are... red and blue!  #shrimplab #coolgenetics #neocaridina #microscope
      See the hatchling right below mom in photo!
      Video found: https://youtu.be/XELenET9vfA

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabby
      Okay. Do I just buy some sort of kit or something, is it easy? I’ll get something set up over the weekend hopefully. Thanks for the heads up jayc!
    • jayc
      In the first few weeks BBS is essential. It's not the same as Frozen BBS. The wriggling movements of newly hatched BBS attracts them to eat. You can try frozen, but you'll find them ignoring it, and the leftovers will just rot.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That's ok then, I thought you must have lost a lot or something! The dwarf puffers are interesting but you can't even keep snails with them as they eat anything that moves? The dwarf rasboras like similar conditions to TB shrimp. I will see what happens with next weeks delivery of shrimps first and decide from there? In theory I could keep both as it is a heavily planted tank so some baby shrimp should survive - if I even get any that is? One step at a time! Simon
    • kms
      I'm ok, I'm just saying in advance.😂
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I haven't had a problem using the chi ebi WHEN I had baby shrimps but not got back to that stage yet (I am still using it a bit even with no  babbies) as we are approaching the end of winter! I'm not sure how you get clumps of it if it's a powder, I use a tooth pick (or similar) dipped about 5mm into tank water, quickly dip it into the powder, knock excess off and then swirl it round the tank. Now I do have assassin snails in the tanks as well so they may get any bits that the shrimp don't! I haven't used the glasgarten myself, though I had it on my 'to try' list, but as long as you don't use too much! It is more difficult though the larger the tank, as the shrimplets need to find the food and don't move far when very young. I wanted to try bee pollen but haven't yet got back to that point yet and I haven't found it easy to get here? I would imagine the spiulina would be fine, I use that to feed daphnia when I have them, but again I use the same way of adding it to the tank. There may be no need for additional food though if you have plenty of biofilm as that must be what they naturally eat so lots of leaves are a good platform for that and you are already using the bacter ae! Simon