Sign in to follow this  
Dimos

Can you identify these parasites?

Dimos

Hello!

I started having some weird parasites in my 10g shrimp tank. I first saw some long and flat worms (maybe detritus worms?)  https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/trematodes-and-nematodes-in-fish.html.

Now I see some weird creatures that look like small shrimps (about 5mm long) with shorter antennas and legs, please take a look at the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7w9p60lzgr6hji/IMG_9513.MOV?dl=0

Do you have an idea of what they could be, whether they are dangerous for my cherry shrimp, and how to get rid of them? Could it be Gammarus pulex?

Many thanks in advance!

Dimos

Edited by Dimos

Zoidburg

Long and flat sounds like either planaria or leech. Short but flat would be rhabdocoela flatworms.

Can't view video.

Dimos
15 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Long and flat sounds like either planaria or leech. Short but flat would be rhabdocoela flatworms.

Can't view video.

Thanks! I was mostly worried about these shrimp-looking creatures. The dropbox link should work. Does it give you an error when you try to open the video?

Zoidburg

Checking from elsewhere! Video worked this time! And yeah, gammarus!

Best way to get rid of them would probably be fish as anything else that would get rid of them would also harm the shrimp... otherwise, turkey baster and suck up as many as you can! Might even see if there are any traps out there or even a DIY trap to catch em.

jayc

Or suck them up during water changes with a hose, being careful to avoid your shrimp.

Just got to keep catching them.  Or you empty the whole tank and refill.

They are harmless, and it probably means your water parameter is perfect. They can be like a canary in the mine shaft. If they die first, you know something is wrong with the water.

• Like 1

Dimos
1 hour ago, Zoidburg said:

Checking from elsewhere! Video worked this time! And yeah, gammarus!

Best way to get rid of them would probably be fish as anything else that would get rid of them would also harm the shrimp... otherwise, turkey baster and suck up as many as you can! Might even see if there are any traps out there or even a DIY trap to catch em.

Wow, and they appeared suddenly out of nowhere! I ended up restarting the entire tank since they were multiplying and eating all the food. Also, the worms looked scary and many!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• sdlTBfanUK
      By sdlTBfanUK
      Moderators City: Inner West, Sydney AU Interests: Shrimp, cars, fish, Computers, Cycling/Bikin Posted September 27, 2013 (edited) With the wealth of knowledge from experienced keepers here in SKF, we should have a repository of Shrimp Diseases where people can come to diagnose and hopefully find a cure to their shrimp's ailment.

Just like in the world of aquatic fish keeping where identification and diagnosis of diseases in fish and known cures are part and parcel of every aquatic forum, so should we have one for shrimp.

Vorticella

I'd like to start this database off with the not so uncommon Vorticella parasite which looks like White fungus or mould growth on the shell of the shrimp.
      Vorticella is actually a protozoa of 16 known species, not a fungus at all. Vorticella are aquatic organisms, most commonly found in freshwater habitats. They attach themselves to plant detritus, rocks, algae, or animals (particularly crustaceans).
      Vorticella are heterotrophic organsims. They prey on bacteria. Vorticella use their cilia to create a current of water (vortex) to direct food towards its mouth.
      Typically, Vorticella reproduce via binary fission. The new organism splits from the parent and swims until it can find something on which to anchor itself.

If left untreated, vorticella have been known to cause the death of the shrimp it was attached to.

Here are examples of what it looks like.

Known cures: Salt bath with aquarium salts. Be careful not to use table salt with Iodine.
      Dosage: 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of clean tank water (not tap water).
      Duration: 30sec to 1 minute. You might need to repeat this a couple of times until the vorticella disappears, so keep the infected shrimp in a breeder or hospital tank (could be another cup of tank water).
      Possible causes: Poor water conditions. Increase water change frequency.

Low doses of the salt bath have been know to be ineffective.
      Ick and fungus cure meds don't work on Vorticella.
      Seachem Paraguard could work as well at the full recommended dosage, since this is a parasitic med. But Seachem have admitted Paraguard isn't invertebrate safe. So only try paraguard as a last resort and drip it into the tank premixed from a bucket of tank water slowly .

This treatment is in no way a replacement for good tank husbandry.
      So keep up with your water change routines, and removal debris and uneaten food.

Please add if you know of more diseases, how you cured it, what you tried that worked and what didn't work.

Cheers.
    • Dimos
      By Dimos
      Hi all,
      I am having trouble with some parasites that appeared in my shrimp tank a while ago. They look something between a shrimp and a bug and they swim differently than shrimps. Please take a look at the attached photos and videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-T4sPKHgoY
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CotyO-lg1b8
      Have you ever seen anything like this? Do you know what they are and how to get rid of them? They multiply rapidly and they do not leave any food for the shrimp.
      It looks like I posted the same question 2 years ago and they said they are gammarus...  I'm still having the same problem in my new tank also and I had to restart the entire tank.
      Thanks for the help!
      Dimos

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you have lost half the remaining shrimps. At least you have another taiwan bee tank which is doing fine. Be careful not to take anything (including shrimp) from the bad tank and put it in the good tank! It could be an infection as LukeBeveridge above, maybe some shrimp were sick when you got them. Time to start thinking/preparing to start that tank again! If you are using something different in the tank that you aren't using in any other tank then use what has worked well with the other tanks. At least there is no rush so you can do it at your leisure, and once it is up and running you should have shrimplets you can transfer from your other tank! There is a device out there to prevent heaters overheating by cutting the power to the heater when it gets too hot, it probably would be worth getting one of those, at least for the taiwan bee tank(s).  The parameters look fine. The nitrate figue may indicate the tank isn't cycled properly, but I have a tank that has nitrate 25 permanenetly for 5+ years with no problems. You could test the nitrates in the other taiwan bee tank and see what they are out of curiosity, but as I assume you will be re-setting up the bad tank it probably may be better to just get ready to do that. I feel your disappointment have a tank that is exactly the same and I have (temporarily) given up on that (as I don't know what the problem is) and just have fish in it for now, but I would have to start again if I want to start with taiwan bee shrimp again...... Simon  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That is a beautiful shrimp! Mixing different colours as you are will mean you will get offspring reverting to wild (brown or clear usually) quite quickly. Simon
    • jayc
      In that case, I would be inclined to think that this is an offspring of the Yellow/Green you have in the tank. Congrats. You have created a new colour morph.
    • 04_lariat_ben
      Yes the "camo" shirmp as ive been calling it is about 1/3 of the size of the yellow shrimp the other green shrimp which where all males where about 1/2 the size of the yellow shrimp. Thats why im leaning toward this being the offspring of the yellow and green and being a pure hybrid of the two. Who knows tho. The color morph theory is convincing as well but the size of this shrimp makes me wanna believe its a hybrid.
    • Able
      Oh and BTW I meant COOK the tanks in my previous reply. Typo