TAP WATER-Taiwan Bee-UK-(zerowater)

sdlTBfanUK

I just did a test on the company water, using the drinks machine, I get 003, when testing the tap water I get 076

You should get over 200L then!

I'm not too sure what you mean about the 003 company water/drinking machine. The water after filtering will be 000 but you have to put it into a clean and dry container from the filter. If you have used a container that held tap water first then the little water that was still in the container may give you small reading, if that makes sense? So don't use a jug to pour the water into the filter and then pour the water back into that jug without drying that jug first??

Simon

I didn't use the zerowater, I just took a reading from water of our drinking machines, it contains a RO, and also taken the reading from a tap, in both case, the water was in a ordinary ceramic cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kms said:

I didn't use the zerowater, I just took a reading from water of our drinking machines, it contains a RO, and also taken the reading from a tap, in both case, the water was in a ordinary ceramic cup.

OK, that makes more sense.

Simon

• Thanks 1

When you use the zerowater, do you keep the dispenser filled up, or only put water through the filter when in need. I see the filter will start to wear off if you keep the dispenser fill with water.

I have always filtered the water through the jug and then it goes into another container like a bucket (where it may sit for a few days) to be carried so I haven't had water sitting in it. I am not aware whether leaving water in the jug will reduce the life of the filter or not?? I only got the small jug so it only does 1L at a time anyway!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

IF there is anyone out there that has/is using the ZeroWater jug would you mind replying to this thread with your reactions to it, so there is more than just my experiences on here for future reference should anyone else want to try using it? + or - welcome?

I think there are about half a dozen people that were going to try SO FAR but some haven't been on here since and that is fine, I can assume that it worked in their case so they didn't need any further help etc???

Thanks for taking the time to anyone who does this!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Haha 1

• sdlTBfanUK pinned this topic

I have a zero water container, sdiTBfanUK recommended it, it contains 21 cup of zero water, after water is filtered the water goes into my 10 Litres reservoir for auto water top up for both my shrimps and cuora trifaciata turles, I only use it for top up in the turles tank, but for shrimps it is use for top up and when I do water change. I just use tap water for my turtles for water change, turtles product too much waste and I have to change about 60% of the water.

So far I'm happy with the Zerowater, its still holding up with 000-002 ppm reading. I also use shrimp king liquid mineral to mineralize the water for the shrimps.

Edited by kms
  • Thanks 1

Thanks KMS, there may be problems with this forum as there seems to be some sort of 'attack' going on from over your way (started yesterdaay) so it is going very slow and Cesar is looking into it? Hopefully it won't cause too much disruption and people can still use the site, there were 600+ bogus attempts last time I looked.........

Hope your crabs and snails are doing well! I had a delivery of some blue bolts, red steel, red wine shrimps yesterday and their colour is fabulous and I don't think they  have died yet, saw all 5 red wines earlier???? Hopefully the tank is more settled now and it will be plain sailing from here.

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Thanks 1

I think there is something wrong, had to press the submit button a few times, it doesn't register a click, and slow down, i'm using a company network, which block many things, so it should happen.

I have a few crabs, they like to hide, so I lost count on how many I have. the last time I seen at one time was 6 crabs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just received my order I was surprised what has come. I ordered a 10 cup jug with one filter and two filter, what I got was one piece 10 cup Jug and 2 pieces 8 cup, total of 3 jugs and 3 filters for GBP35.

• Like 1

You did well, they probably didn't have what you ordered exactly so made it up with what they had. You got a lot for your money there, wow!

I have just ordered my LAST lot of taiwan bee shrimps today so should get those next week, 5 black, 10 blue, 10 red assorted mix! If this lot don't work out it will be dwarf spotted rasboras in that tank in future?

Simon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I check those babies, I can only see 2, it seem they are only CRS or red wind, which came from a pinto mixed with other shrimps. same for me, if shrimps don't do well, I will keep miniture puffers.

• Confused 1

That's ok then, I thought you must have lost a lot or something!

The dwarf puffers are interesting but you can't even keep snails with them as they eat anything that moves? The dwarf rasboras like similar conditions to TB shrimp. I will see what happens with next weeks delivery of shrimps first and decide from there? In theory I could keep both as it is a heavily planted tank so some baby shrimp should survive - if I even get any that is? One step at a time!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

UK people, Morrisons (not all branches I suspect) now sell the zerowater filters and jugs etc at the same prices as the importer website!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Thanks 1

• sdlTBfanUK locked and unlocked this topic

Hi Simon,

I found your topic when I searched Google for bee shrimp and tap water. I recently setup a spare 15l cube and built an Asian style undergavel filter in the back. It was mainly for fun and just to see how well it performs but I later planned on keeping some blue bolt shrimp in there (if all went well) until I read in several places that tap water was out of the question and I almost gave up. I will also give Zerowater a go on your recommendation, my tank is only a couple of weeks into its cycle so I don't plan on sticking any shrimp in there any time soon anyway. I noticed that Amazon are selling the jugs and filters so I'll probably order from there soon. I've looked into RO water but plumbing it in would be a pain so you've given me another option to explore, thanks Simon!

Jason

• Like 1

The zeroater jugs are widely available now, Ocado, Amazon, direct from importer, Morrisons and is an easier option to an RO system or buying the RO water and would suit your small tank. I get about 100 littres from each filter cartidge, but that will vary depending on your water. 

There are a cuple of options I know of for Blue bolt shrimps, https://www.shrimpcorner.co.uk/freshwater-shrimp/blue-bolt-shrimps.html or https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/taiwan-bee-shrimp/172-taiwan-bee-wine-red-red-ruby-red-king-kong-panda.html or even ebay. Deliveries are a bit hit and miss since covid19 and obviously xmas will make that worse so bear that in mind, if you can be patient it may be better to wait until the new year????

Always drip acclimate new shrimps over a few (or more) hours before adding them to the tank!

This is the GH+ I use to get the right water (from RO) for the shrimp and it is pobably the easiest one as it is drops rather than powder, https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/shrimp-king/803-shrimp-king-mineral-fluid-double-gh-4001615061413.html , it will last a long time with your small tank, well over a year I would expect.

There are a lot of different foods as you will see on pro-shrimp, the main thing is NEVER overfeed (very common error) and with a small tank I would get a powder food (will be good for babies as well) or something as small as possible. Some of the foods come as quite large/hard pellets (shrimpking) which I used to use but smashed them up with a hammer, but it would be easier just to get smaller food.

Indian Almond leaves are good for shrimp but can be large for such a small tank. You can use this instead if you don't want to use the leaves as they are too big, https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/shrimp-king/804-shrimp-king-humin-fluid-vital-4001615061420.html .

Simon  

• Like 1

Thanks for the links and tips Simon. I'm not in a rush to get the shrimp, but there's a breeder about an hour away in Plymouth who sells on eBay. I'm going to contact them to see if it's possible to collect the shrimp when it's time. I've received cherry and amano in the post before but as you say its a bit risky with the delays and bee shrimp are less hardy so I will try and avoid post if possible.

I've noticed there's a few other jugs/filters around other than Zerowater since I've been researching this morning. With Maxblue you get a larger jug compared to the 1.7l from Zerowater around the same price and they appear to use the same style filters as Zerowater so I might actually try that one. It doesn't come with a TDS pen, but I have one of those already. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxblue-Pitcher-Filtration-Fluoride-Chlorine/dp/B089NSX17Y/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=zero+water&qid=1605786645&quartzVehicle=3443-1424&replacementKeywords=water&sr=8-13 In the reviews I see both have complaints of "fishy" smelling water. Have you experienced this? I also wondered if it would be possible to "recharge" the filters some how like we do with Purigen. I've not found anything on that yet but I did come across this video on how to make your filters last longer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d92ydHBwmcg

The GH+ liquid would really help also thanks! I'll get some of that. This was one thing I was worried about getting the dosage right but yes a liquid would be much easier. Same with the humin fluid as I've got some almond leaves from when I bought a bundle of aquarium stuff from someone local but they are too big. I've already got some Shrimp King Complete which I feed to the cherries every few days and they like Sera Shrimps Natural too. I could probably stick that in a pestle and mortar for babies maybe? Assuming I make it to the baby stage!

Jason

• Like 1

I have never had any smell with the zerowater filter and suspect the complaints are by people who aren't changing the filters when they should and trying to get extra life from the filters than the manufacturers suggests. Given the choice of whether it is the user or the product that is the problem, my decades of experience know it will be the user not the product................

I have tried brita water filter and just tap water and they didn't work. Obviously it is your choice as to whether yu want to try something other than the zerowater but I expect you will be setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment and extra expense in the long term. There have been others on here that have used the zerowater and found it works. Looking at that Maxblue, it may work if it is as stated in the advert but I don't see the point as the priice is the same/similar and you will be able to get filters more readily! There are a variety of aize jugs with zerowater as well www.zerowater.co.uk .The filter cartidges look the same so they may b erowater filters in the maxblue???

The video is very ingeneous and I understand how that works and it makes complete sense. I may try thay, though I have so many new filters its probably not worth it to me? 

You can just cut the Indian almond leaves into better sizes if you want to still use them.

Simon

• Like 1

Ah true about the filters being more readily available for Zerowater even though they do look the same or at least very similar. I'll see if I can find more reviews on both and compare. Glad you liked the video though! Definitely worth trying even if you get an extra few weeks out of a filter. Seems a waste throwing it away at 6ppm.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your experiments with Zerowater, Simon! It appears to be working for me also. My tank completed its cycle shortly after my previous messages so I bought some GH+ and Fulvic liquid and I gradually reduced the TDS to about 145ppm with Zerowater. I managed to buy 5 juvenile blue bolts and by Christmas I had a couple of berried females. Yesterday I saw about 3 babies so things are going well so far, thanks again! ?

• Like 2