• Similar Content

• YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP 🙂 
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • jayc
      By jayc
      This is still a draft now final but can still be updated to accommodate new info. Please help me refine the terminology, and let me know if I have forgotten anything that has to be included.
      Common Terminology
      Tigers, Crystals and Taiwan Bees will all breed together. Here are some common terms or names that are used in the Shrimp hobby to describe various shrimp.
      The following picture from rah-bop will paint a better image as we go through the descriptions.
      Refer back to this picture as you read the descriptions.
      (Click to expand)

What is a Tibee?
      A tibee is a hybrid between any Tiger (OEBT - orange eye blue tiger or also blonde tiger) - and usually a Taiwan Bee (TB)
      OR
      can also be hybrid between any Tiger and Crystals - CBS (Crystal Black Shrimp) and CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp).
      The preference is to cross with a Taiwan Bee. Since TBs are rarer and more expensive, you might not have enough TBs to breed. Using a Tiger as a partner to the Taiwan Bee, will ensure some genes are carried over when you cross the Tibee back with the Taiwan Bee parent. It's offspring could yield some Taiwan Bees.
      Crystals are more common. So a Tibee from TigerXCrystal is not as sought after. But nature can throw up some amazing colours from this hybrid too. I am working on a TigerXCRS myself to try to get some Red Tiger tibees.
      What is a TaiTibee?
      A Taitibee is a Tibee crossed back with a Taiwan Bee.
      What is a Pinto?
      A Pinto is a colour variation and type of Taitibee.
      There are 3 variants of patterns:
      Spotted Head Zebra Fancy - Such as skunk pattern and cloud patterns. The creative name for skunk pattern is derived from the black-and-white pattern, which very much resembles that of a skunk, especially due to the pattern on the head. And as the name suggests, the Cloud pattern very much resembles clouds shapes on the head of the shrimp. Colouration of pintos generally come in either black or red base.
      Black Zebra Pinto

Red Zebra Pinto

Cloud Pinto

Skunk Pinto

What is a Mischling?
      Mischling is a German word for "crossbreed" (plural: Mischlinge).
      A mischling (in the shrimp hobby) is a hybrid cross between Crystals and Taiwan Bees.
      When this crossbred mischling is crossed with another CRS, it's genetics are diluted, and you get a small % of Taiwan Bees.
      When mischlings are crossed with another mischling it's genetics are even more diluted. And the % of TB are even smaller to the point of never getting a TB. It's like striking Lotto.
      However, when you cross a mischling back with a Taiwan Bee, you get a larger % of TBs, but with the added benefit of strengthening it's gene pool when it's original parents were mixed with a CRS.
      BlueBolts has already started an excellent sticky thread on Mischling here:
      http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/714-minchlings/
      This article is a supplement to information already on SKF. It is by no means trying to supersede any information found elsewhere.
      Here is an excellent explanation from Ineke as well “Taiwan Bees crossed with Crystals give Mischlings which are then crossed back to Taiwan Bees to help people get to their goals quicker in having more Taiwan Bees (TB) however on this forum we like to let people know when Mischling bloodlines appear in our breeding so more initials are added. If you get a King Kong (KK) Bluebolt (BB), Panda or any other TB from a TB/ Mischling cross we like to let people know by saying we have a KK(TBM)-King Kong from TB / Mischling. If you are lucky enough to get a TB. From 2 Mischlings it would be a KK (TBMM) or whatever type of TB you have. This just keeps people honest and let's buyers know that they will get a percentage of Mischlings from their TBM / TBMM. Nothing worse than having Mischlings showing up in your TB. Breeding program when you thought you had purebreds".
      What is a Tibee cross Mischling?
      To my knowledge, this has not been given a common name yet. It's still a Caridina Cantonensis. It's still a bee shrimp. It is just a different colour variant.
      Let's call this variant a "Tischling" for now (03Oct2014), unless someone can confirm a common name that pre-dates this name.
      This Tischling is an uncommon hybrid, possibly because the desirable genetic traits are too diluted and takes the shrimp keeper further away from achieving desirable goals. Not when there are easier and faster breeding choices that would achieve the same goal. Like for instances, using the Tibee or Mischling to be crossed back to a pure Tiger, Crystal or Taiwan Bee.
      A hybrid Mischling might carry recessive traits, and is unseen (like a specific colour), and crossing it with another hybrid Tibee would be like trying to get a certain colour (say red), from something that doesn't show any colour. A complete guess.
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      If there are no shrimps in the tank, you can do a 100% water change with water that is adjusted to your liking with Salty shrimp GH/KH+.
    • jayc
      😲 wow!   Where is the pic? And welcome to SKFA.
    • DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders
      Hello everyone, This is my first post at SKF Aquatics forum.  I came across this forum by reading the amazing post about breeding Taiwan Bees shrimp written by Jayc.  Regarding my first post, I just want to share with everyone the result that I've got from my little experiment with my current colony of PRL CRS.  A little bit about myself, I've been keeping all kind of shrimps over the last 3 years, starting with ghost shrimps, then move on the Amano shrimps, then cherry shrimps, and now I have 4 tanks of 2000+ PRL CRS and CBS.  About 6 months ago, after having some difficult time of finding ADA at a good price, I decided to start an experiment on keeping PRL CRS in a tank without active substrate to see if it's possible as well as if there are any problems of not having an active substrate.  I setup a 20 gallon tank with regular cheap gravel, 1 driftwood, 1 cholla wood, some annubias, and some subwassertang.  I use RODI water and remineralize it to the TDS of 130.  pH of my RODI water is 7.2 to 7.5.  I did not cycle the new tank because I was using two sponge filters from the other existing tanks.  I then moved 25 PRL CRS from well-established tank that has pH of 6.6 and TDS of 135 to the new tank.  After about 6 months, the result that I got is pretty amazing.  I've got tons of baby shrimps and lots of berried female.  Attached is the picture of the experiment tank 🙂    
    • DEL 707
      Again, thanks for all the help. I ordered the Shrimp GH+KH minerals and they arrived today and did a 20l water change. I plan to do 20l on Saturday and 20l on Tuesday when I'm off, so that'll be over 100% water change. If my tank stats come back o.k, I might finally look into getting some shrimp next week.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It is definitely more of a balancing act when trying to keep everything happy in a tank with Shrimps and plants, but don't be put off I think you will be fine. When putting the shrimps in the tank you should take hours of dripping to acclimate them and you may lose a few with the low Ph but I am sure it will work out in the end as cherry shrimps are fairly tough. If you use all RO water and GH/KH+ then the PH will always be lower even after the buffering of the soil stops, but this is the easiest route to go! If you go the mixed water 1:3 with GH+ the same applies but the PH will be slightly higher and will be cheaper (less GH+ and RO water needed), so overall this is the way I would go, and it isn't all that complicated once you get it up and running! As with JayC I doubt you really will need any ferts but if you must then use a lot less than the packaging recommends!  The best thing to do is just decide which route you prefer to go from the start as it gets so much more difficult to change it later? I don't have any issue with keeping shrimps/fish/plants happy and I don't use CO2 or any fertilizers so it is definitely possible and not that difficult if I can do it? I think that a lot of the plant fertilizers etc are really intended for plant aquascapes without any inhabitants but with fish and/or shrimps there will be natural fertilizer and the soil should have enough to start everything off? If you still aren't too sure I would just try running the tank without the CO2 or ferts (with the exception of as JayC recommends above) for a few weeks and just see how the plants get on, as you can start using either/both again at any point if they don't look like they are ok, but I expect it will work out fine. This will also give you time to mull it over at leisure? Simon