regormang

Dealing with warm water

regormang

How is everyone dealing with the summer heat? I lost one of my super tiger shrimp do to tank running around 80 degrees all day. So far I've used frozen bottle water and fans. But haven't gotten it down lower than 76 degrees. Just wondering if anyone else is having shrimp losses too?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zoidburg

Oddly, despite the heat (temps into triple digits, F) my tanks haven't been getting hot. I haven't kept track of how warm they are getting but I haven't measured above 74°, and it's been 80+ inside when the A/C isn't on.

• Like 1

regormang
Oddly, despite the heat (temps into triple digits, F) my tanks haven't been getting hot. I haven't kept track of how warm they are getting but I haven't measured above 74°, and it's been 80+ inside when the A/C isn't on.
Man count your blessings. I've been in the high 80s here and my tanks are suffering greatly. Been running fans day and night on them. The shrimp tank is my biggest concern due to the tiger shrimp that's in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jayc

In Australia we are all too well aware of what the heat does to shrimp. We get hot summers here.

And the only effective way of keeping a constant cool temp is an aquarium chiller.

Zoidburg

Yeah, I don't get it... it gets pretty cold in the winter and if no one is home, the heater is off. Then when people are home, the heater gets blasted on! If I can, I do try to leave the heater on at a lower temp, but one of the other people living here prefers to keep it off when not at home... basically, the opposite of summer! Except that the A/C doesn't have an auto on/off switch when desired temp is reached like the heater does.

Somehow though, the tanks seem to do okay.

jayc

Newer A/C units now have auto on/off features. Maybe it's time for an upgrade @Zoidburg 😁

The things we do for our shrimp!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      My brother just moved from San Antonio to Florida! It may be more economic to purchase a specific chiller for the shrimp tank, we don't have that problem here though I did cook mine, 33 degrees if I remember, d'oh (faulty heater)! I assume you can get one for a large tank like yours? There are a number of foods that are probably easier and don't go mouldy, like snowflake which is soya bean husks and can be left in the tank for long periods and is therefore better if you are going away for a period. Indian Almond leaves are good for holiday periods as well because they decay very slowly and 'stuff' the shrimp like grow on them. Probably if you are just going away for a few days you may be better not to feed and if there are Indian almond leaves etc in the tank they should have enough to eat. Hopefully you caught the temperature in enough time that you won't loose any more shrimps. Simon 
    • supermansteve32
      Yes. I live in Texas. When I'm away freon the house I'll have only one of my AC units running so the cats don't die.  The mold was caused by some food the shrimp didn't eat.  I did a temp check with my other probe  and it was almost 2 degrees higher. I guess I'll leave the fans on when I leave now
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would think that is possible as that is pretty much the upper limit I think, and of coarse how accurate is the thermometer - I have 4 different methods and all produce different readings so it may have been a bit higher??? Mould isn't usually a problem other than it looks horrid and usually will just disappear after a tank is properly run in and as far as I know not harmful to shrimps. I have had it in most of my tanks at the start, usually on wood or something similar and either removed the item it grows on or just leave it and it gradually disappears within a month (usually less). I hope you manage to get the temperature back to normal and it sounds like you have mastered the TDS. I'm not sure where you are based, is it somewhere hot (I apologise if you have said and I have forgotten)? Simon
    • supermansteve32
      I came home from being away for 2 days and there was another adolescent shrimp dead. I saw the water temp was 83. I know they like to have 70 to 78. Would 83 kill some shrimp?  Also I first started doing water changes again and I had to do a little extra a few days later because there was a little mold I had to siphon out. Not sure if that's the reason either. Also my water TDS stayed between 142-147 this whole time. 
    • kms
      The tanks are only 16L, for it to reach 31c, it isn't hard.