christeez

Once a male red cherry, now a blue cherry?

christeez

Okay guys, I’ve had him for 2 month now and a week ago I culled some shrimps into my other tank because others weren’t red enough or near transparent.

Yesterday I checked and noticed a blue hue in the tank and took notice of this one individual and placed him into a box to observe. He definitely has some red just on his head but his whole body is turning blue.

Is this possible?

deb768cff74de5bcca5dfe219b26789d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoidburg

Could be stress, trying to blend in, genetics or diet.

Some shrimp do turn blue when the lights are off, or if the tank is basically black water. I've also seen some shrimp turn blue from stress.

Genetics wise, there are blue bodied red rilis and blue bodied carbon rilis which could indicate that maybe that shrimp has that gene?

Diet? I've seen shrimp turn green from diet, but not blue.... wouldn't rule it out as a possibility though...

christeez

Ruling out lighting, as ive been observing for a few days at different times of the day when light was on

I feed my shrimps a mix of spirulina wafers, spinach, Hikari shrimp cuisine so I don’t think it’s diet as all shrimps display an even deeper red especially when spirulina is fed to them

Possibly genetics as far as I can see, it has a undergone of blue sort of like a blue body red rilli

This little guy’s been like this colour for a week now, where as the others have attained their colours again. Could be stress?

Pics for reference next to a shrimp into the box from the tank

f5c6bb2ea0f2f8b9327a1debab96ef89.jpg411c66635d30588cea124bb9cc69b52b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddie

Blue and red. She's looked like this since I got her.

20181114_173225~3.jpg

Here's one of her offspring that is also blue and red.

20181118_103126~2.jpg

Other offspring of the same girl. They have super random markings.

20181109_070742~3.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Zoidburg
      I recently made the switch from sand and SS GH/KH to SL-Aqua substrate and GH only minerals (from same company - liquid form). When I switched everything over, I didn't even acclimate the shrimp. Knock on wood, I haven't seen a loss yet! It's only been a few days. Everything in the tank is the same except for the substrate and water. Also cleaned the sides and front of tank while I had it taken down.   It's a 10g tank, so I remineralized two 5g buckets of water, one of which I slightly over-remineralized. Figured it would work it out as I had tossed in some water that wasn't remineralized to the right parameters just to keep the plants in there wet. One bucket had been sitting around for a while with just RO water and the other only a few days before adding minerals. After everything has settled, it all worked out to about 7.5/8 GH which is about what I was aiming for.   I can't say I'll continue getting the liquid remineralizer right now, but we'll see with how this one does. Powders will always be more bang for your buck with how much water you can remineralize with it, but the liquids are supposed to contain more nutrients in them that are beneficial for shrimp.    Tank has Caridina (YKK and ???) and Neocaridina (Bloody Mary) in it.
    • Zoidburg
      Coming from a pet bird keeping hobby, I can easily back up what jayc said about imports.... not only can you not import animals, you can't export them either. The *ONLY* exception may come between New Zealand and Australia. Some animals can be moved between those two countries. Otherwise though, import and exportation for both countries is banned. I live in the USA.
    • ShrimpNewb
      Thanks, Simon.  I am a shrimpnewb after all.  My tank has pretty much zero evaporation - it's weird, but it seems to have something to do with not running a heater and the water temperature being the same as the room.  I'm just planning to switch over to the shrimp focused mineralizer with water changes over time.  I'll update the TDS differences I assume will be there.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      This has got rather long and involved, interesting though! Just wanted to remind you that topping up tanks from evaporation will still need pure RO water (not mineralised) though so you will need to keep some Pure RO water aside for that. Simon
    • ShrimpNewb
      Oh, yes.  Live and learn.  This is, as my wife keeps telling me, a science project.