JoM

Advice for attempting to raise brackish fry?

JoM

Or I guess larvae really. 

Hey shrimpers, I have a nano tank that has NQ Algae Shrimp and Darwin Red Nose Shrimp. A few months ago, I noticed three fry. I wasn't doing anything unusual or special in that tank, I just got lucky I think. The three fry survived and are still shrimping around now, they ended up being DRN shrimp. Since then I've seen hundreds and hundreds of larvae, but none have survived beyond that stage since the original three. I recently got Endlers and I move the fry to this tank so I can forget about any kind of shrimp breeding within the tank for the time being. But I'm thinking of getting an external breeding box to move my berried shrimp into once I see eyes in their eggs. Once she drops them I can put her back in the main tank and try to go from there. So, how do I got about this? Obviously I need some marine salt, a hydrometer and a green water culture for food, as well as another grow out tank because I'm not going to leave the larvae in the breeding box.

Have any of you tried this? I can't find a lot of info about salinity levels, how to acclimate them back to fresh water etc. So any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

jayc

Brackish water salinity levels has a huge variation. So no need to be too accurate.

An alternative to green water culture is powdered spirulina or chlorella. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Hah! LOL, how did I know. If I was going to put a bet on one or the other, it would be the rocks from Phillip Island ... from the beach. How to test? do the vinegar test. Take out a bit of gravel, and a small stone. drop some vinegar on them to see if you get a reaction. Alternate test is to put them in a cup of water. Test the water GH and KH before adding, then test again after a few hours to see if KH and GH have increased.
    • Crabclaw
      ahh shoot. gravel was washed about 20 times thru, and rocks were boiled. gravel was sold as aquarium safe gravel, but the rocks were from phillip island, along the beach... how could i just test 1 or 2 to see if that's why? (they're all the same type, but i have a few big ones that r heavy and a bunch of small ones that i can test with)
    • jayc
      That means you have something else in the tank that is leeching carbonates - like a rock, or gravel or shell grit.
    • Crabclaw
      eek! I've been trying to reduce the hardness for a few weeks since i noticed it was high. I'm in melb, and my tap water is relatively soft, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the hardness when i do water changes. I've been doing up to 40% weekly (on average maybe 30%) but have barely seen improvement... I'm using water that's already at about 23 degrees from tap, would it make a difference if I used just cold? (I've only measured cold tap, not heated as i didn't think it would be different). Otherwise if I could get RO from somewhere would that help? Thanks!
    • jayc
      Those parameters are getting too high for a killi. Killis definitely prefer soft water and slightly acidic, pH under 7.0. Irrespective of what disease it might have, it would be a good idea to start reducing pH, GH and KH slowly now. Where abouts in VIC are you? Melbourne's tap water is generally very good for softwater fish. If we can't ID the disease, start with an all purpose cure, like malachite green.