TheKeeper

So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?

Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 

Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!

Regards

-The Keeper

• Like 1
jayc
6 hours ago, TheKeeper said:

Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in?

You can refill the tank normally, as long as, the water being added is matched to the tank - pH, TDS and temperature wise.

Otherwise, dripping water back into the tank is a good practice. 

Normal weekly water changes only needs to be 10%, as shrimps are not heavy waste generators.

As with fish keeping, the most important thing to do is to get the initial cycling of the tank done properly. 

Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever?

You will still need to feed them. The shrimps don't eat healthy plants, so you can't count the plants as food. A varied diet is good for the shrimps. The occasional frozen blood worms for them is a good source of protein. Blanched veges and leaves are also great. Sometimes I drop in flowers from Nasturtiums and Roses that I have in the garden. This is on top of bought processed shrimp foods. 

Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?

Yes.

If you didn't constantly add Calcium & Magnesium, the levels will drop and cause problems down the track. 

If you use RO or rainwater, adding Ca & Mg is a must. That's why shrimp keepers use remineralising mixes at each water change. Which ties in to the first point above about matching water parameters. 

Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp.

That will need to be addressed. Block those off with sponge or stainless steel mesh.

With regards to tools, get yourself a TDS meter, if you don't already have one. This will help measure TDS and gives you an idea of Calcium & Magnesium levels. 

• Like 1
TheKeeper

What should TDS be? I do already have one, also with the top of the tank being open, the shrimp wont escape right? Thanks for all the info!

jayc
29 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

What should TDS be?

Around 200. When it gets to 250, you know it's time for a water change.

Shrimps can be escape artists. They climb out where the filter pipes come in / out. Just make sure the waterline is an inch or two below the top.

• 1 year later...
Seattleshrimp

@jayc

Are remineralizers products the only way to increase tds without changes to pH? As in salty shrimp reminderalizers. 

Im under the assumption that crushed corals can increase tds as well as increase pH

Thanks ! 

Edited by Seattleshrimp
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Patrick Gagnon
      By Patrick Gagnon
      I recently put in an order for 12 blue dream and 12 cherry shrimp. The shipping was delayed, Harrisburg PA distribution is terrible. Took over 9 days for them to arrive. 0 DOA. Nice! Anyway I've had them now for I'd say 2 weeks. One already is pregnant! And I recently found a guest staying. I have copepods all over, I heard they are fine. I'm not sure what this is. Looks to have antennas, like a snail or something.

• Chels
      By Chels
      Update: I went with 4 chili rasboras, and could not be happier. They started eating the copepods literally seconds after I put them in the tank, and they even slurp up the detritus worms like spaghetti. They came from a tank with lots of juvenile shrimp, and haven't bothered my shrimp at all even when shoaling. If you want a shrimp-safe fish that will eat your copepods or detritus worms, get some chili rasboras!! 
      Original Post: Accidentally posted this in the new members forum like a true n00b, so im re-posting here where it belongs. 
      Hello all! I've only been keeping shrimp for a few weeks now, but I am already an overfeeding expert.
      Apparently in my zeal to give my shrimp the best life, I have grown a giant colony of copepods which I am worried may harm my first ever newborn shrimplets (which could hatch at any time). I've read that copepods are opportunists who will eat weaker shrimplets if given the chance. And with the amount I have in my tank rn, I foresee my first newborn babies hatching & being instantly swarmed. I also have 3 or so saddled females, soon to be berried females so I want to protect their future babies also. 
      I cannot for the life of me find any recommendations on freshwater fish who won't eat shrimplets. The recommendations are always with the caveat of "but I have total ground cover/top cover so most of my shrimplets survive." I have a ton of plants & hidey holes, but I also have some grazing areas where it's just a small patch of substrate since my shrimp love to be fed in those areas. I just started with 15 shrimp, so I don't have a huge colony and can't afford for any babies to be eaten rn. 
      I do have an albino bristlenose pleco who is very tiny, but she is a lazy betch and hasn't impacted the copepod population. I should also note I am using a 2g nanotank at the moment. It's a mixed tank with cherries, yellows & blue rilli so I can get a lot of different offspring to separate out and form colonies from in bigger 30g tanks. 
      Here are the fish I have heard work great, but may eat *some* shrimplets:
      Endlers (males or fry)
      Ruby tetras
      Rasboras
      Pygmy corys
      Rocket killifish (clownfish)
      Hatchetfish 
      Otocinclus
      Ember tetras
      Neon green tetras
      Gold ring danios
      Lowlight danios
    • Merlin
      By Merlin
      Hello - 

I am firing up my planted aquarium and during the setup of my co2 regulator/solenoid I noticed a couple leaks that I am having troubles stopping.
      There was a very small leak at the connector from the needle valve to the solenoid.  I unthreaded and cleaned it up but upon reconnecting leak is still there (worse actually).

My question is how do you seal these connection?  I hear teflon tape is not a good idea as it can cause some internal issues if small pieces break of.  Since this connection is past the regulator maybe less of an issue but still.
      Is this an ideal application for teflon tape?  or is there some other method?
      (edit, this is pic from the web.  My reg is a JBS but connections are the same)

Thx,
      Merlin

• Chels
      By Chels
      Hello all! I've only been keeping shrimp for a few weeks now, but I am already an overfeeding expert.
      Apparently in my zeal to give my shrimp the best life, I have grown a giant colony of copepods which I am worried may harm my first ever newborn shrimplets (which could hatch at any time). I've read that copepods are opportunists who will eat weaker shrimplets if given the chance. And with the amount I have in my tank rn, I foresee my first newborn babies hatching & being instantly swarmed. I also have 3 or so saddled females, soon to be berried females so I want to protect their future babies also. 
      I cannot for the life of me find any recommendations on freshwater fish who won't eat shrimplets. The recommendations are always with the caveat of "but I have total ground cover/top cover so most of my shrimplets survive." I have a ton of plants & hidey holes, but I also have some grazing areas where it's just a small patch of substrate since my shrimp love to be fed in those areas. I just started with 15 shrimp, so I don't have a huge colony and can't afford for any babies to be eaten rn. 
      I do have an albino bristlenose pleco who is very tiny, but she is a lazy betch and hasn't impacted the copepod population. I should also note I am using a 2g nanotank at the moment. It's a mixed tank with cherries, yellows & blue rilli so I can get a lot of different offspring to separate out and form colonies from in bigger 30g tanks. 
      Here are the fish I have heard work great, but may eat *some* shrimplets:
      Endlers (males or fry)
      Ruby tetras
      Rasboras
      Pygmy corys
      Rocket killifish (clownfish)
      Hatchetfish 
      Otocinclus
      Ember tetras
      Neon green tetras
      Gold ring danios
      Lowlight danios
    • Adam Bomb
      By Adam Bomb
      Hello everyone! 
      My area of Michigan (48065) seems to be a black hole for shrimp enthusiasts, and my hope was to uncover folks I can buy shrimp (and hopefully moss) from locally. Since the pandemic has paused all face-to-face meetings for local clubs until further notice, it's been rough (and I can't imagine paying online retail ridiculous prices for shipped shrimp)!
      Since we only have the "City" field (for location) on profiles, is there a better way to find local people? I'd love any help you can offer. 
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Really pleased to hear that your yellow shrimp tank is sorted now and you didn't even have to buy any new shrimps to repopulate, bonus! I hope the treatment of the CRS goes well, Ihaen't used any of those reatments so can't advise on those but would go with the info on the thread as that would be updated with the latest information/advice!  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I suspect the coral and egg shells have caused the GH to increase so I would just take those out and do a 50% slow water change! You will need to do water changes anyway whilst you're trying to re-cycle the tank, the treatments you used may have killed some of the beneficial bacteria, or it could just have been the chicken as you state? If the neocaridina were doing fine without the KH then it would be better to return to that set up, at least until you get it back to normal and stable. The important thing is not to make and big/sudden changes to the water parameters, the CRS will be more delicate than the neocaridina, but all shrimp are fragile creatures! Simon  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Great to hear that you are sorted! I wouldn't have thought Cordoras would eat copepods but as long as it is working stick with it? Simon
    • ShrimpNoob9
      Hi everyone. I've been keeping caridinas and neocaridinas in the same tank for about 2 months now. My neocaridinas were doing very well. Everyone was molting at their own pace and was breeding like crazy. Then I did a stupid thing of leaving raw chicken bits. While my shrimps ate the chicken, 2-3 of them died after that. And now my tank is totally haywire. I've tried doing water changes, tried vacuuming the substrate. My tank parameters are also REALLY REALLY bad.  Nitrates 40 Nitrite 1 Gh >7 Kh 0 PH 6.8 CL 0 CO2 <15 My ammonia is <0.02ppm My tank contents are aragonite sand, black active substrate(in a glass container), coral chips, coral stones, cholla wood, fissiden moss, duckweed, Indian almond leaf, java fern, a money plant, marimo moss ball.  What can I do to make the nitrates and nitrites go away? And is my kh and gh making any sense? I tried adding coral stone, egg shells to increase my kh but it's not working. 
    • ShrimpNoob9
      Hi Simon, updates on the planaria and copepods. I tried using planaria trap and really screwed up the tank as I put raw chicken in the trap and when it wasn't trapping any planaria I took out the trap and left the chicken bits inside. I think they decomposed and caused a lot of ammonia as a few of my shrimps died(2-3). Then I used the benibachi planaria zero in the tank (did 2 water changes focusing on cleaning the substrate) and separated my snails and after two doses I don't see any more planarias. I also went to get 3 pygmy corydoras. That really made the copepods dissappear slowly but surely. Thank you so much for your help and advice!