is feeding expired shrimp food?

619torrey

hey everyone so i have a bag of biomax that is expired since the 12 of september 2012, everything looks fine and it is also dry. so do you think that feeding expired shrimp foods will have an impact on them? or will it be alright?

Expiry dates are more of a case of "Best Before" dates. The foods may still be ok (depending on how it's been stored). If the food smells rancid then don't feed it out. Ideally food should be kept in a cool location (fridge or freezer) and not subjected to heat. It's also worth noting that Vitamin C breaks down very quickly/ oxidizes so expired food may be lacking in Vitamin C. If you're feeding your fish a varied diet than it shouldn't be a problem.

So in short. It's not a problem is if it's part of a varied diet. If that's all their getting exclusively than you may have a problem.

When you think about it, shrimp are scavengers / clean up crew in the wild, and most of the food they eat is 'expired'. Dead shrimp, dead fish, decaying plants, algae etc ..

So can't think of any reason why date expired food would not be ok??

I'm using some expired azoo food it seems ok I just smell it before I use it everytime just to make sure it's stored in an airtight container so that may help in it lasting longer not sure