• Similar Content

• macjeff
      By macjeff
      I have had a 20 gallon RCS tank for 3 years now.  I have moss balls and some JAVA moss, drift wood, and mineral rocks.
      Only RCS in the tank and some soft shell snails I have in there I breed for my fresh water puffer fish in another tank,.
      My issue is that the shrimp live 1-2 years and they breed just fine but I never see babies.  I see plenty of eggs but never babies.  (Well 1 or 2 a month maybe but they disappear)
      The adults keep going just fine until they die off of old age or something else.
      I keep about 100 shrimp in the tank and have to replenish 50 every 6 months about.
      Water Temp I keep about neutral. 
      PH- 7- 7.2
      I use distilled water or sometimes Reverse Osmosis water because our tap water goes through a water softener which puts a LOT of salt in it which makes TDS very high so I try not to use tap water at all.   
      I feed every 2 days with Azoo or other good food and not much.  Its all gone by the time I feed again.
      I do add some powder food for the babies and a shrimp bacteria powder (just started that about 6 months ago but has not helped or hurt)
      Someone told me due to the distilled water my issue is LOW TDS.  So I bought TWO different meters.  I tested the distilled water and its about zero which is correct.  I then tested my water and its about 700.   I do top offs and just did a 20% water change last weekend with distilled water.
      So is that the issue?  Should I pull out the mineral rocks?
      I am thinking tonight to take about 8 gallons of water and drain the tank down about 40% and then fill with the distilled water.   I can repeat the process in a week and once I get the TDS under 150 I can add a little shrimp mineral to get it to the 200 range.   The reason I am saying that is the TDS could be bad TDS and not the minerals they needs.  I ordered some Salty Shrimp Mineral which I heard was good.
      Should I just give up?

Jeff
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      One of our sponsors, @Filter Systems Australia are seeking an expression of interest regarding a range of filter media they are considering carrying. If interested post here. Current prices are as follows:
      Mafian Stone: $15/Kg Tourmaline: $25/Kg Neg ion: $30/Kg FAR : $25/Kg But this will change (go lower) subject to demand and our SKF discount.

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Hi All,
      In addition to the RO unit FSA generously donated to SKF for the Christmas comp, they are willing to offer a 5% discount on purchases for SKF members. You just need to place the order by phone and mention the discount. For online orders use the following code: SKF5.
      Any issues let me know.
      FSA are also very keen to get feedback on their products. I encourage any FSA product owners to write up a review here: 
      http://skfaquatics.com/forum/articles/product-reviews/

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Source: http://www.fsahome.org/uploads/4/8/5/9/4859831/gt1-70_di_brochure.pdf
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      Source: http://www.fsahome.org/uploads/4/8/5/9/4859831/gt1-70_di_brochure.pdf

View full article
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Oh wow, as you say they certainly are tiny! You must be so happy? How is it going with the other (Caridina) tank? Simon
    • Steensj2004
      I’m sorry to hear about the trouble, seeing our tanks have issues is always hard. I hope your back on the upswing now! unfortunately, I don’t have a good camera for shots this small, but I did my best. I was able to count 23 last night during lights off with a small penlight. I’m sure they are many, many more! 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Don't I feel a fool letting it happen again. I have ut one of those strip thermometers on the tank now (they are actually quite accurate by the looks) and it is a tank close to where I usually am and the new heater has the flashing temperature on the heater so it is very unlikely to happen again. The shrimps seem fine (bloody mary) and yesterday I saw all the Ember tetras and 1 neon tetra so I only lost a few neon tetras by the looks of it, so it isn't as bad as I first thought? I shall look into the temperature controllers now though! They don't seem to sell them from my usual seller but I may ask him to consider getting some, he sells everything else! Simon
    • jayc
      Pics!! Please?   Oh no, not again! when are you going to invest in that temperature controller thing I recommended? It's piece of mind if not anything else.  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Fantastic news and you must be so happy, long may it last and you must have got it all sorted! I had another heater disaster 2 days ago, stuck on and temperature got to about 32, it was my oldest tank and the bloody mary shrimps seem to be none the worse but I lost almost all the tetras, and those few that survived aren't acting usual, d'oh! New heater in place and it has a flashing light that shows the temperature so that shouldn't happen again in the future, hopefully/theory anyway! Simon