• Similar Content

• macjeff
      By macjeff
      I have had a 20 gallon RCS tank for 3 years now.  I have moss balls and some JAVA moss, drift wood, and mineral rocks.
      Only RCS in the tank and some soft shell snails I have in there I breed for my fresh water puffer fish in another tank,.
      My issue is that the shrimp live 1-2 years and they breed just fine but I never see babies.  I see plenty of eggs but never babies.  (Well 1 or 2 a month maybe but they disappear)
      The adults keep going just fine until they die off of old age or something else.
      I keep about 100 shrimp in the tank and have to replenish 50 every 6 months about.
      Water Temp I keep about neutral. 
      PH- 7- 7.2
      I use distilled water or sometimes Reverse Osmosis water because our tap water goes through a water softener which puts a LOT of salt in it which makes TDS very high so I try not to use tap water at all.   
      I feed every 2 days with Azoo or other good food and not much.  Its all gone by the time I feed again.
      I do add some powder food for the babies and a shrimp bacteria powder (just started that about 6 months ago but has not helped or hurt)
      Someone told me due to the distilled water my issue is LOW TDS.  So I bought TWO different meters.  I tested the distilled water and its about zero which is correct.  I then tested my water and its about 700.   I do top offs and just did a 20% water change last weekend with distilled water.
      So is that the issue?  Should I pull out the mineral rocks?
      I am thinking tonight to take about 8 gallons of water and drain the tank down about 40% and then fill with the distilled water.   I can repeat the process in a week and once I get the TDS under 150 I can add a little shrimp mineral to get it to the 200 range.   The reason I am saying that is the TDS could be bad TDS and not the minerals they needs.  I ordered some Salty Shrimp Mineral which I heard was good.
      Should I just give up?

Jeff
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      One of our sponsors, @Filter Systems Australia are seeking an expression of interest regarding a range of filter media they are considering carrying. If interested post here. Current prices are as follows:
      Mafian Stone: $15/Kg Tourmaline: $25/Kg Neg ion: $30/Kg FAR : $25/Kg But this will change (go lower) subject to demand and our SKF discount.

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Hi All,
      In addition to the RO unit FSA generously donated to SKF for the Christmas comp, they are willing to offer a 5% discount on purchases for SKF members. You just need to place the order by phone and mention the discount. For online orders use the following code: SKF5.
      Any issues let me know.
      FSA are also very keen to get feedback on their products. I encourage any FSA product owners to write up a review here: 
      http://skfaquatics.com/forum/articles/product-reviews/

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Source: http://www.fsahome.org/uploads/4/8/5/9/4859831/gt1-70_di_brochure.pdf
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      Source: http://www.fsahome.org/uploads/4/8/5/9/4859831/gt1-70_di_brochure.pdf

View full article

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      +1 for the sponge. 
    • Crabclaw
      Definitely go the sponge. 
    • DEL 707
      I'm no expert, but 1 does seem a fair bit "chunkier" then the rest. Got a bit of a new problem though. I saw 1 of the shrimp cleaning away near the filter intake grill last night. He did look like he might have just been small enough to slip through. I was thinking of buying some filter sponge to jam behind the grill to stop them getting in.
    • Crabclaw
      That’s a cool idea! I would be interested in testing that out as well at some point. Let us know if you try it!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      We don't get the heat you do their but I am planning to get a cooler, a fan when we get to spring if the shrimps do well. I don't know whether that type of cooler is available where you are and it may not be powerful enough anyway. I will just put it on the tank when needed, but thats unlikely to be often here, and so  easy to set up. Obviously this isn't any good where you are based but I wanted to show an alternative to the chiller in case that suits? https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-coolers/3100-jbl-cooler-200-aquarium-cooler-4014162604293.html?search_query=cooler&results=8  Believe me when I say you don't want to go through the heartache of cooked shrimps, I am still gutted 6 months later and the new lot will never be the same???? CO2 and shrimps is very risky and so I wouldn't use it, especially if it isn't needed and everything is ok? Simon