Red cherry with green shrimp

Betbet1992

Hello

I have a colony of cherry red shrimp with x2 amenos. I have been looking at charts to see if I can add some other varieties in my tank without interbreeding and having colourless offspring. Would the green shrimp mate with my cherries as this would be the problem I don’t want or would they stick to their own kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

When you say green shrimp, are you talking about a green morph/ variant of cherry shrimp? If so then yes they will interbreed with the red. If how ever you are talking about Green Babaulti shrimp then they should be fine to mix with cherry shrimp and have no issues with cross breeding.

When you say green shrimp, are you talking about a green morph/ variant of cherry shrimp? If so then yes they will interbreed with the red. If how ever you are talking about Green Babaulti shrimp then they should be fine to mix with cherry shrimp and have no issues with cross breeding.

That’s a great help thank you. Also can I mix red cherry shrimp with crystal red shrimp as they are pretty too? Not adding the green now as not to sure what they really are as the store doesn’t say much about them.
Thank you this is a great help.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

Yes you can mix crystal shrimp with cherry shrimp ( Crystal are Caridina while cherry are neocaridina), however you will generally find one species will thrive while the other will struggle. This is because while cherry shrimp are not overly fussy about the gH, pH and temp ( but do better with warmish water), Crystals especially the high end top grade ones are very fussy and really like and do best in cooler water.

I know in England there are quite a few shrimp species on offer, but it would all depend on if you wanted to source them through local pet shops (LFS), local private breeders or online through the mail.

Since you already have Amano shrimp have you looked at perhaps Fan shrimp I think one of the other names is Flower or Bamboo Shrimp. These are very similar in looks and habits to Australian Riffle Shrimp. I believe vampire shrimp from Africa may also be available to you in England.

Just keep in mind anything neocaridina will interbreed and many caridina will interbreed. That said I believe Rednosed shrimp from India may also be available in England and all though they are caridina they do not breed in fresh water and have a brackish/ marine larval stage in their development and are safe to keep with other caridina species.