No Planaria shrimp deaths

Tukie

I recently dosed my 3 foot tank with No Planaria in my 120L/3ft taitibee tank.  I dosed under the recommended dosage but after the 3rd day started seeing dead shrimp.  It was only 1-2 on day one so I did a 40% water change and added an internal filter with carbon to try and get the rest of the no planaria out of the tank.  It's day 5 now and I'm still seeing shrimp deaths.  Yesterday was the worst with about 10 and this morning was 5 found dead.  I always seem to find them in the morning and none seem to die during the day.  

Tank has 2 large sponge filters and a internal power head filter(normally don't use this one but needed for the carbon).  I have added an airstone today in case it is lack of oxygen.  Tank is planted but not heavily.  Mostly java ferns, anubias and subwassertang with a few floating watersprite.  Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, KH 0-1, Gh - 4, TDS 120.

How long would it take to get the No Planaria out of the tank and are these deaths possibly just residual from the initial dosings?  I'm doing another 20% water change today and hopefully the deaths will stop soon or is it possible my whole colony is doomed already?  Remaining shrimp seem to be acting fine and haven't seen any odd behaviour in them at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Have lost 5 more shrimp over the past two days so have resigned myself to the possiblity of losing them all slowly over the next week.

Sorry to hear the losses.

Do more water changes daily. Say about 10%.

Additional water cahnges can't do much more harm.

Thanks.  I will keep up with the water changes until no more deaths.  If I lose them all, I'll strip it down and start over.

• 2 weeks later...

add some carbon to your filter if you can. it will help soak up any remaining no planaria 

Not sure if you have resolved this already?

Sounds like you had a lot of unseen planaria that have died in the substrate. The bacteria will eventually take care of them but in the meantime, they will continue to fuel a mini cycle of your tank. Nitrates are quite high despite the water changes which kinda backs that up. There is definitely a lag with shrimp deaths after a pollution event. After watching  a commercial documentary from DPI on  yabby breeding I learned that  invertebrates can get crap in their gills and if it's not flushed asap they go on to slowly die (lack of oxygen I think).I have had this happen before as well....... so this leads me to following suggestions ......

1.Just a one-off big water change 60-80% (do some light surface gravel vacuuming if possible)

2. Increase aeration. Put the top of the internal filter at the water surface so that it breaks the water. Alternatively, add a couple of airstones to achieve the same effect or add an sochting oxydiser ( you could temporarily add hydrogen peroxide which will also increase oxygen levels) 

3. Dont stress :) Its too late for that and you can always rebuild.

I hope these tips help .....lets us know how it goes.

Just got back from holidays so was away for almost 2 weeks.  Good news is that it doesn't look like I killed all the shrimp yay!  I see some juveniles now too so it seems there were babies in there that survived also.  I did lose 2 berried females before I went away but I know I have at least one female left in there which is good, I had a high percentage of males to start with so good to know not all is lost.

Thanks for all the help and advice.  Will slowly rebuild from here.

• Like 1

These No planaria and similar products really should come with instructions to perform a 50% water change on day 2 with gravel vac and increase aeration.

Seeing too many posts of shrimp deaths.

Let's spread the news!

• Like 1