Any ideas?

DizzyBlue

Ok this is where the serious shrimp breeders .... run off screaming to the hills weeping and shaking their heads as they go! SORRY!

I am not a breeder .... but nobody told my shrimp that. The tank is starting to look like an explosion in a paint factory or a tank of crazy coloured jelly beans. Spotted some rather odd looking baby shrimp starting to peek out of the moss more often which is rather lovely to watch. Would seem my shrimps have decided to mix it up a bit ....

The baby cherries I have look like baby cherries ..... so seeing these lot appear kind of made me go errrr who is hanging around with who?

I spotted a rather sweet looking orange/yellow one will he/she change colour?

Some really odd looking white with strange red patches so ponder if the crystals have been up to mischief perhaps?

Now I know why the people really into breeding keep their colour schemes separate.

orange.JPG

mixed3.JPG

patch.JPG

white3.JPG

CRS genetic shrimp cant breed with cherry shrimp so its likely merely the genes they have from either parent somewhere down along the way.

In terms of your orange/yellow colored cherry shrimp you will probably find if any it will intensify. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @OzShrimp I appreciate it. Must be really annoying for the serious shrimp keepers to keep coming across peeps like me who dabble and ain't got the foggiest idea of what we're looking at ? but we all have to start somewhere! 

At least I now have a cunning plan, all I really have to do is workout which of the jelly bean gang I have are from the same groups and sub-species groupings and then those are the ones that would be likely to interbreed if they do. 

Plus read up about those specific species in case there are any additional characteristics and requirements. Just need to stop staring at the tank watching them and then thinking errr hmmm lost another hour of the day somewhere lol.

I seem me having a steep learning curve coming up! 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

• HOF Member

Firstly we were all beginners once and most of us have had to ask annoying questions of the "real" breeders. The policy here on SKF aquatics is no question is a silly question or annoying -the only way to learn is to ask! 

you have a mixed bunch there with obvious Rili genes in them. It's hard to say what they will end up like but most intensify in colour at each moult. If the Rilis are blue gene red rili then you may also get Blue Velvet shrimp -I think they are still called that so many names and colours have changed over the years I've lost track!

So now go look up Rili Neocaridina and see what they should look like. If they are what you want then you will need to cull hard and pick out the closest to what they should be. Try to catch out all the males except a couple of the best colours and then keep doing that until the shrimp more closely resemble what you are after. OR just enjoy your tank of rainbow shrimp -the down side of that is you will end up with hundreds of shrimp that nobody really wants unfortunately. 

As @Ozshrimp mentioned the CRS cannot interbreed with your cherries .

Welcome to the world of shrimp  and your first big lesson -you never ever have too many tanks!   One of my female Rilis from a few years ago
image.thumb.jpg.f9a574e7ea70b9063338c77a8673b5c3.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ineke said:

The policy here on SKF aquatics is no question is a silly question or annoying -the only way to learn is to ask! 

That's so true.

To all newcomers on SKFA,

SKF Aquatics has a different mentality to most forums. We welcome questions from newcomers, visitors, and new members.

The "only" silly question is the one you didn't ask.

We are more family, than forum members. SKFA is here to help new shrimp keepers, fish keepers, and any aquatic creature ( we don't discriminate). Shrimp keeping is a very small, niche hobby. And the more positive experiences we can foster, the better for the hobby. 

SO jump in, get involved. 

• Like 2

Thanks @ineke 

Looked up (glanced actually) at Rili Neocaridina I can see I have a lot of reading to do .... and a heap of colours to collect ha ha ha! Silver lining!! Yup they look like my jelly bean dudes. Did pop up another thread that was seriously picture heavy with all the different ones I have. Not sure I am ever going to figure out if any of them happen to fall in to a particular colour scheme name though but it doesn't matter for now.

As for questions ... yup got millions of them but think I best read and then anything I cannot find an answer too I will come pick on you peeps. 

Once upon a time many years ago Saturday night was for going out, over 50 and the thrill now is to sit watching the jelly beans on a Saturday night!! My how things change!!

17 hours ago, jayc said:

We are more family, than forum members.

Well damn you sure are a few years behind in giving me birthday and christmas presents.

Another thing, you can breed two shrimp together you want babies to look like but alot of the time it wont actually happen that way if they are not pure line bred shrimp. 

For example,

You got and buy 2 pairs of Alleged Pure crystal black shrimp and they breed for you only to find you have discolored black and browns in the colors cause people lie a lot about their shrimp unfortunately.

It is possible over a long time to do breed higher quality shrimp from lower grades but it is very time a tank extensive. If you in a position it is often simpler to try and buy a couple of high quality proven genetic shrimp and toss them in with the ones you have that are close or at what you want. 

Brought back memories of when i used to have shrimp /sigh

DSC01614_zpsaf87a69d.jpg08d2b5a5-b02e-45c2-91f5-869c0bf66999_zps

Edited by OzShrimp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OzShrimp said:

Well damn you sure are a few years behind in giving me birthday and christmas presents.

Wait a minute ... I don't recall getting any from you either !

?