Ameno with cherry shrimp

Betbet1992

Hello.

I have 2 female Ameno shrimp that have done very well. The rest of my shrimp are cherry red shrimp.

I’ve noticed today that my ameno female is berried obviously by a male cherry shrimp.

What will these shrimp look like? I didn’t think this would happen as I’ve had them together for around a year and never once have the female amenos been berried

Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

The cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp are not able to cross breed since they are very different species with entirely different requirements for young survival and growth. Namely cherry shrimp give birth/ hatch miniature fully functioning replicas of themselves, while Amano shrimp have larval offspring which require brackish conditions and very specific micro food sources before growing and returning to fresh water.

I would think that either you have a male and a female Amano shrimp without knowing it, or the Amano shrimp is doing something one of my single species shrimp used to do. A few years ago I had a single female shrimp of an uncertain family but most likely Palaemonidae family she was the only shrimp in the tank and every so often used to get berried with no other shrimp of any species at all present.

• Like 2