Curiosity has got the better of me

Baccus

After reading a post on facebook where a person was asking about what native plants they could grow to provide suitable leaves to add to a tank for tannins, it got me thinking about tea leaves. I am sure I have seen "teabags" dedicated to tanks for the sole purpose of supplying tannins, the bag being effective for containing the mess as the leaves decompose. But it got me thinking has anyone used organic ( or even standard) teabags on their shrimp/ fish. After all that is all tea is brewed tannins. And then that thought process lead me to wonder which would be better to use? A strong black tea leaf or green tea? Which then made me wonder about coffee grounds, I know people rave about coffee grounds for plants, composters and worm farms. So would even coffee grounds be a safe tank addition for tannins.

And then just because my mind likes to go on to other avenues of inquiry I wondered about macadamia shells or even pistachio shells. My mum swore by using broken macadamia and pistachio shells in the bottom of potted plants for drainage while holding the potting mix in and they didn't seem to bother worms. I know macadamias are toxic to dogs but have no idea if the shells could be harmful to shrimp/ fish.

Thoughts please.....

And just to add another thought what about cordyline line leaves? Would they be safe I know grass hoppers and locusts love them.

• 1 month later...

I know I saw the thread on fruit tree leaves being used for food.... and I know from harvesting apple ones from my rabbits that they will produce tannins if you get them late off the tree towards the end of season (much brown water came off them after a 24hr soak/wash before drying). I assume the same would work on all older fruit leaves and still be ok for them?

Actual black tea I am not sure if the caffeine in it would be a problem? Herbal teas might work though...?