Green with envy

KaridinaGal

Hi fellow shrimp lovers, I spotted a little guy in my mixed cherry tank that looks like he may be the start of green.

Green being my favourite colour, mixed with it being one if the rarer colours of cherry shrimp, I am really, really hoping he is. I also think the colour is especially good being as it's a male. What do you all think? IMG_20180225_000409_167.jpg

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

• Like 1

Ooooo cool! It would be very awesome to have green shrimp.... but I am sure it would make them blend into the plants too well lol

Watching to see if you try and breed them, how it goes ?

• Like 1

The first test I would attempt with him would be move him to a different tank with possibly different pH and gH but not too extremely different to its current water parameters. This should show you how "stable" its green colouration is, if it keeps the same colouration without turning too yellow or brown then I would say it would be a good candidate for further breeding.

• Like 2

The first test I would attempt with him would be move him to a different tank with possibly different pH and gH but not too extremely different to its current water parameters. This should show you how "stable" its green colouration is, if it keeps the same colouration without turning too yellow or brown then I would say it would be a good candidate for further breeding.
Ok, I could do that. I could put him in the mischlings tank, which is different both. How long would you expect before a change would be apparent?

Sometimes the colour drop can be pretty quick, just keep in mind just the process of hunting down and catching the shrimp your after can cause enough stress that the shrimp will drop some colour, depending upon how long it takes to actually catch it and how much chasing it goes through.

I would expect after at least a day you should have a pretty clear indication of which way the colour is going if it changes at all. I would also check the shrimp just after the lights come back on in the tank after a night of darkness. I found ages ago with some of my red cherries at first light in the morning I would see some reds that had gone blue over night but within an hour of the light being on and plants photosynthesising again they had returned to the standard red. I suspect this colour change was due to pH changes that occurred in the tank over night when the plants stopped photosynthesising.

Thanks for all that info [emoji4], i have reds that do that blue thing too. I have a small net the shrimp like (for some reason), so catching them us easy, i just place it peacefully beside them & they climb right in, so catching is very low stress.
I have him in a hang on tank at present, as I've placed him with a couple of girls that have a greenish look about them, to increase the odds if selectively breeding him as best i can to begin with. I have fingers crossed they may produce something that looks a lot like green [emoji4]

Best of luck with them, from reading I believe green is the least stable of the colour morphs.

Thanks, I read that too. I'll post updates on how i'm going. a couple if days before I moved him to the penthouse, I witnessed him mating one of the light phase blue females, so I'm going to place her in a hangon too, to keep track of the babies

I see a tint of blue on a very low quality cherry (from a Blue cherry shrimp perhaps), rather than green. - Sorry ?

But ... i've been known to be wrong on many occasions.

Edited by jayc

I see a tint of blue on a very low quality cherry (from a Blue cherry shrimp perhaps), rather than green. - Sorry [emoji53]
But ... i've been known to be wrong on many occasions.
Anything is possible really. I have one tank that has a mixed colony of cherry's (not intentionally but was due to poor advice a few years ago). We were told at that time, if they interbred they'd revert to red carrying the other colours...-bad advice I now know.

So the colony began with red, black & yellow cherries,(really good quality solid coloured ones too), who's projeny all ended up a dozen shades of clear lol.
This colony however, have since produced (& do so approx every couple of months) various coloured shrimp. About the only colours i don't get are black & yellow funnily enough.

So we get bloody Mary's, as well as bad reds, chocolate, blue's in the blue-black, as well as the paler shade that is quite clear, orange & this lovely bronze shade, that reminds me of tarnished silver. & Of course a whole lot more clears. Occasionally there will b a clear that has a yellow cast.

This Green looking one is the first time I've ever seen a shade like it. The colony has been going since 2014.

I should have photo's of most of the colours, (my phone has photo's of little else other than shrimp lol) I will see if I can upload some for reference.

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Anything is possible really. I have one tank that has a mixed colony of cherry's (not intentionally but was due to poor advice a few years ago). We were told at that time, if they interbred they'd revert to red carrying the other colours...-bad advice I now know.

So the colony began with red, black & yellow cherries,(really good quality solid coloured ones too), who's projeny all ended up a dozen shades of clear lol.
This colony however, have since produced (& do so approx every couple of months) various coloured shrimp. About the only colours i don't get are black & yellow funnily enough.

So we get bloody Mary's, as well as bad reds, chocolate, blue's in the blue-black, as well as the paler shade that is quite clear, orange & this lovely bronze shade, that reminds me of tarnished silver. & Of course a whole lot more clears. Occasionally there will b a clear that has a yellow cast.

This Green looking one is the first time I've ever seen a shade like it. The colony has been going since 2014.

I should have photo's of most of the colours, (my phone has photo's of little else other than shrimp lol) I will see if I can upload some for reference.

Ok, here's some pics of the projeny from the mixed cherry tank. Bronze, orange, light blue, darker blue, bloody mary, chocolate & an orange shrimplet.IMG_20180227_152404_166.jpgreceived_10156538264532841.jpegreceived_10156538264587841.jpegreceived_10156538264632841.jpegreceived_10156538264547841.jpegreceived_10156538276732841.jpegreceived_10156538281882841.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rainbow shrimp tank.
Lol, yes that's a good description. I take out any bloody Mary's or any other really well coloured ones & place them in the colour specific tanks to strengthen colours & occasionally if i find poorly coloured ones in the colour specific tanks I put them in the rainbow tank. So far this seems to be working really well. Here's another pic if one of the groups in the rainbow tank.IMG_20180227_155032.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow shrimp lovers, I spotted a little guy in my mixed cherry tank that looks like he may be the start of green.
Green being my favourite colour, mixed with it being one if the rarer colours of cherry shrimp, I am really, really hoping he is. I also think the colour is especially good being as it's a male. What do you all think? IMG_20180225_000409_167.thumb.jpg.08a7e58d4fff6ab093852d8391b6d61d.jpg

Just a little update to my possible green cherry shrimp thread. Here is the girl I paired up with him(she has a green appearance although not as green as him)& she is nicely berried. Pic for reference. I hope they will have some green babies.IMG_20180402_164218_533.jpg

• Like 3

Oh how beautiful is that little dude! 
Green is my fave colour, so I am hoping against all hope that we will get more from these two. The fact it's a nice coloured boy should be a good sign being as the males usually have less intense colour. I have my fingers (&toes) crossed for these upcoming shrimplets.

• Like 2

There's lots of tiny tiny shrimplets, all look clear so far, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Congrats!!
& now the wait begins to see how they colour up. Newborn shrimplets are so seriously small, I never get used to just how small they are. Good thing they grow so quickly.

• Like 1

As the babies grow don't be to ready to be ruthless on the colour, the sneaky little blighters seem to change colour and intensity every day. If anything I would try keeping a holding tank/ cage within the tank housing the potential greens and before placing any shrimp into the definantly the wrong colour therefore cull category and removing them completely. I would hold them for a bit in the holding tank where you can better observe them without losing them in a forest of plants etc within the tank. Then from the holding tank make your final decisions on who to put back into the breeding program and who can join the rainbow tank.

And even after putting potential greens that didn't make the continued breeding program, keep a close eye on more desired greens cropping up in the rainbow tank. Who knows perhaps green is more a recessive trait and could visibly skip a generation only to turn up strongly again in another generation, or comes about only when other certain genes are also present.

• Like 2

Yep will do. I'm terrible when it comes to culling, i keep everything lol, hence the rainbow tank.   I have two external hang-on boxes & one internal "conjugal' box.  The green daddy & one lady are in tgat, all the green colony is in one if the hang-on's & the rest are in the rainbow tank.   & That's just the mixed.  I have 7 other colour specific tanks - I really need to make myself a rack, it's on the to-do list.

The green male came from the colony that is a result of yellow/black/ red crosses.  So I suspect he carries  quite a few recessive genes. All colours except yelliw pop up in that colony on a regular basis.   His colour gets better as he ages & he's a really small specimen too, the girls are three or four times his size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaridinaGal said:

I'm terrible when it comes to culling, i keep everything lol, hence the rainbow tank.   

You have no idea how huge a sigh of relief and a little giggle I did when I read this. Seriously you made my day, thank you! 

Was dreading having to say errrr cull .... your have to be off your trolley ...... love em to bits they are sooooo calming and beautiful always busy better than telly as no adverts or repeats .... now have visions of multiple jelly bean tanks all over the place! Was thinking oh no can't hang on this forum I seriously couldn't stay around here and not freak about the thought of pretty jelly beans not making the right colour grade and thereby getting despatched. I am not perfect and I thereby don't mind having none perfect pets.

Hence I have 23 parrots in various stages of disrepair .... or should that be alternative beauty looks, thanks to them having owners before me who haven't realised what they are getting in to. One stray feral cat that looks like he did 15 rounds with a lawnmower, a lop eared black and white angora rabbit with a plated and pinned back leg but don't tell him as he has no idea he has so don't want him to suddenly develop a weird gait to get a sympathy vote!

Weirdo colour jelly beans zooming around are right up my street :) 

Edited by DizzyBlue

I too am lacking (or slack) in the cull department, I do have one tank that if I put any shrimp in they are eaten almost immediately by the monster rainbows. So no shrimp go into that tank instead they tend to be put into a large tank we use as a grow out for BN fry and guppys that are not the right colour for our breeding goals. Its only when I end up with lots of wild colour or really dull shrimp in the grow out tank that the worst go for a small trip to my 1000L pond. Its always fun once in a while to check through the ponds shrimp inhabitants and see if any stunning reds/ blacks/ blues even faint green have cropped up.

I like to think cull doesn't always mean kill, instead it means remove......and once removed then they can go on with their lives in peace.

• Like 1

You have no idea how huge a sigh of relief and a little giggle I did when I read this. Seriously you made my day, thank you! 
Was dreading having to say errrr cull .... your have to be off your trolley ...... love em to bits they are sooooo calming and beautiful always busy better than telly as no adverts or repeats .... now have visions of multiple jelly bean tanks all over the place! Was thinking oh no can't hang on this forum I seriously couldn't stay around here and not freak about the thought of pretty jelly beans not making the right colour grade and thereby getting despatched. I am not perfect and I thereby don't mind having none perfect pets.
Hence I have 23 parrots in various stages of disrepair .... or should that be alternative beauty looks, thanks to them having owners before me who haven't realised what they are getting in to. One stray feral cat that looks like he did 15 rounds with a lawnmower, a lop eared black and white angora rabbit with a plated and pinned back leg but don't tell him as he has no idea he has so don't want him to suddenly develop a weird gait to get a sympathy vote!
Weirdo colour jelly beans zooming around are right up my street :) 
I'm so happy I made you smile. I too 'shrimp-gaze' instead of TV [emoji16]. You have quite the menagerie by the sounds of it. What I like to think of as the 'right' menagerie, pets that needed a loving home. It must get mighty noisy at your place with 23 parrots, wow. We have 2 & that gets noisy enough. Both hand-raised, a blue quaker & an olive budgie.
Love how you call the shrimp jellybeans, very cute nickname, puts images in my head if them bouncing around the tanks.

• Like 2