Shrimp ID Help

Jay_Walker

Hey everyone, I was given a grab bag full of various shrimp, and a couple of these beautiful individuals (see attachments) were among them. I'm still trying to educate myself about the differences between the various Neocaridina and Caridina so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20180207_114612.jpg

20180207_114554.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jay_Walker said:

a couple of these beautiful individuals

Yeah, a couple of beauties there mate.

They look very much like Taiwan bee Blue Bolts. 

• Like 1

Very cool! My GH is running right around 8 with my neos in there, TDS around 130. I read that bolts tend to like it a little lower, but is 8 acceptable? 

10 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

GH is running right around 8 with my neos in there, TDS around 130.

They do like it lower. But your TDS is already low. 

What is pH like?

If it's within 6.0-6.6, then don't worry about GH too much.

TDS 130 and GH8 sounds like you use RO or rain water and remineralise with Ca/Mg. Am I right?

Your TDS is low, because your water is pure with no dissolved solids or other junk in it except for Calcium & Magnesium.

GH test kits generally pick up Ca and Mg to determine overall hardness. Other Ions are also picked up in the test, but it's mainly looking for Ca and Mg.

Edited by jayc

You are correct, I use RO water and remineralize with Salty Bee. We are on a water softener here, and I am fortunate enough to regular access to RO water. And I am about due for a water change, but my pH is actually around 7.4. So using strictly RO with remineralization, what should my targets be (pH, GH, TDS)?

18 hours ago, Ishtarduzzie said:

You were given them? Lucky! 1f603.png

Yes, extremely lucky! I work for a LFS and we hand select all of our livestock from the wholesalers. They knew I was starting a passion for shrimp so bagged up a grab bag of great specimens ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

but my pH is actually around 7.4.

This could be the gravel causing pH to stay high.

Plant substrates like ADA Amazonia, CAL Labs Black Earth Premium, Benibachi Black Soil, Bornoe wild shrimp soil, etc...

any substrate that buffers pH will certainly help.

8 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

So using strictly RO with remineralization, what should my targets be (pH, GH, TDS)?

It depends on what shrimp you have.

Caridinas like the Blue bolts you have there need pH: 6.0-6.5.  TDS 130-150.  GH 4-5

Neo caridinas like Cherries are more tolerant and have a wider range. pH6.5 - 7.2. TDS 150 - 200. GH 4-8.

Hmm, ok. So which level is the gating factor though? Because my RO with TDS ~0 and GH ~0 has a pH of ~6.2 (all API testing kit based). And when I start adding my Salty Bee Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ those factors climb quickly. For example, a batch of RO remineralized to TDS of 135 gives me a GH of 12 and a pH of 7.6 - 8. So should I just shoot for a lower TDS to temper pH and GH a bit?

Jay, 

You refer to Salty "Bee" Shrimp, but also to GH/KH+.  Caridina shrimp such as your blue bolts need Salty Shrimp GH+, not the GH/KH+ version that is generally used for Neos and Tigers.  Can you confirm which Salty Shrimp product you have?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+

As Shrimple minded pointed out, you are using the wrong product for blue bolts.

GH/KH + raises both GH and KH

KH as you know, raises pH.

What you need is Salty Shrimp GH+. This raises GH without altering pH.

Prioritize the care of the Blue Bolts, they are more expensive and rarer than  neos. Neos will adapt to Caridina water parameters. Or ... time for another tank!

If you can obtain Calcium sulphate and Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts), you can make your own. See my DIY remineralising mix post in Water Parameters section. Most brewing shops will have this.

Making your own will cost a fraction of Salty shrimp.

Edited by jayc

Yes, I ordered some Salty Shrimp GH+ as I think that will be the fastest remedy. Which factor, GH, pH or TDS will have the greatest affect on the blue bolts? I lost 1 tonight already :-( and would like to triage while I await the arrival of the Salty Shrimp. Should I attempt to lower the pH? I do have the API pH Down, but am not a huge fan of chemical remedies. The other 2 bolts appear in good health, scavenging and such.

3 hours ago, jayc said:

Prioritize the care of the Blue Bolts, they are more expensive and rarer than  neos. Neos will adapt to Caridina water parameters. Or ... time for another tank!

Setting up a new tank but it's going to take time to cycle. I'd like to adjust my current tank's parameters to suit the blue bolts

2 hours ago, Jay_Walker said:

Which factor, GH, pH or TDS will have the greatest affect on the blue bolts? I lost 1 tonight already :-

Sorry to hear that.

Going by what your parameters are that you mentioned earlier ... TDS 130 GH8 and pH7.4.

I would say lower pH. But they are all interlinked in some way. I don't want to influence how you lower pH, as we are all in differing situations. Can you get alder cones or peat ? If you work for an LFS, that might be accessible to you. That would be the best and most natural way of reducing pH

Move your blue bolts into a separate tank if you can.

If not, then slowly adjust the parameters. Sllloooowwwwly. They are likely to be under stress already with the many changes right from their initial tank to the wholesalers water params, ... bagged in with Neo water, ... transported, ... and added to yet another water parameter of your tank. And now looking like they will need their water params changed yet again.