WhySoCRS Journal

WhySoCRS

Hmmm, might get another bag, I wouldn't mind playing a little dwarf hair grass and just letting it do it's thing.

Thanks for that JayC.

Just received my BioPro filter a long with some goodies from Boss Aquaria, some mineral balls, alder cones and kale tablets, just waiting on some decent media for the BioPro, then MAYBE another bag of Benibachi, once I've got it all, photos will pop up and all plans will go ahead.

OK question time...

In regards to my LED, I think it's quite bright, any chance I can add a dimmer to it?

It's a SunSun LED, 230v, 50Hz, 24w.

Anyone have any idea if I can or not? Wouldn't mind dimming it slightly to reduce the chances of algae.

Cheers.

Hello WhySoCRS,

An inexpensive option I have used to dim aquarium lights is use of "window screening".

I'm unsure of cross-posting rules, but want to include some reference information with my suggestion.  The following post from TPT has data related to PAR reduction using 1 and 2 layers of window screening.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/114756-window-screen-light-filter.html

What is nice is that the screens are "adjustable" (can use 0,1, or 2) and don't look intrusive.

As I'm typing this I realize that this is an option because my shrimp tanks have glass lids.  I'm sure this can be done with open tanks, just haven't done it myself.

14 hours ago, WhySoCRS said:

Anyone have any idea if I can or not?

Of course it's possible.

Do you already have a dimmer in mind?

What sort of power plug does your light use?

Makemyled.com (our sponsor) has various options.

I personally have their Auto Dimmer, which allows me to set Sunrise and Sunsets, where the lights will dim automatically just like the sun.

And being an SKFA sponsor, they offer a 10% discount using "skf10" code.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Nah, no dimmer in mind, more so looking for ppl that know more about it with options, had a quick look at MML, will have another look again.

On 24/02/2018 at 9:13 AM, jayc said:

What sort of power plug does your light use?

Does your light use this type of plug?

Image result for led light 12v plug type

If it does, then it's an easy fit with one of MMLs dimmers.

• Like 1

Yeah mate it does, excellent, I'll suss that out, cheers.

You have a link for that or is it on the MML site?

That was just a generic picture of a power supply to an LED light.

I used it as an example to figure out if your light uses that 12v plug in adapter.

MML has the following options as dimmers for you to choose.

MML-TOUCH-DIMMERhttps://makemyled.com/mml-touch-dimmer/ - $8

A simple on/off switch that includes a dimmer from 5% - 100%.

Rotary Dimmer - MML-ROTARY-DIMMER https://makemyled.com/rotary-dimmer-mml-rotary-dimmer/ - $19 ($30 includes wiring)

This is a rotary dimmer that is a capable of controlling several lights with one dimmer.

Smartphone/Wifi Controller - MML-WIFI-DIMMER https://makemyled.com/smartphone-wifi-controller-mml-wifi-dimmer/ - $37

This one is wifi controllable on an iOS or Android phone for up to 5 lights, with auto on/off.

Auto Controller - MML-AUTO-DIMMER  https://makemyled.com/auto-controller-mml-auto-dimmer/ - $72 

This one is the big daddy that does it all. Auto on/off, dims, programmable sunrise, sunsets and moonlights for up to 5 lights.

Talk to the guys at MML. they can give you more info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhySoCRS said:

..and so it begins

exciting!! Can't wait to see what you do with that tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is the tank how is, not sure what else to do at the moment, might get some SS moss squares and place some in, not sure yet.

Spread a thin layer of Boss Aquaria Mineral Powder on the base of the tank, then covered with benibachi substrate, then added a thin layer of Boss Aquaria Boss Booster, tank then topped up with rainwater and Salty Shrimp gH+ added, was running a HOB filter until today, received a Eheim 2213 canister and have now hooked that up, changed the intake and outtake pipes with some black versions of the same pipes, which to me looks a lot better.

Not running a heater at the moment, each time I've checked the temp it's been 21c/22c, once things cool down I'll add a heater and set it to 22c.

Added 2 pieces of malaysian driftwood with Anubias nana on it, a few pieces of Amazone Frogbit also, have had 3 Alder Cones sitting in it for a couple days, now sank to the bottom, also added Boss Aquaria Mineral Balls as well.

Managed to score 10 Crystal Red Shrimp for $2 each from a local who happen to have some, so I took them all, once the tank has matured more I'll probably grab another 10/20 when they pop up on here or GumTree perhaps.

Black background was added also, a cheap dimmer was added to the LED as well.

Future plans, unsure at the moment, see what happens, just mainly interested in getting the tank settled first and then perhaps go from there, anyway, here it is as of today.

Edited by WhySoCRS

Well, last night I was lucky, the LED that came with the tank almost caught alight, came home to a house smelling like burnt plastic and straight away turned all the power off, checked out all my gear to find the box with the on/off switch extremely hot and the smell was shocking, am going to order a 'name brand' LED later on, not something dear or bright, but something definately not cheap either and know I can trust, phew!

I'm looking at some moss to add to the tank, something bushy like that I guess resembles stem plants, perhaps Willow Moss? Any other moss that would look nice?

Anywhere I can get moss tied to SS squares? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Update, tank is going well, parameters are all good, nothing drops or raises, did a water change today and shrimp loved it, have about 9 Crystal Reds in there, have huge females also, no saddles or berries though, hopefully the water change will help things along, haven't added any plant life or anything though, will eventually get some more Anubias on driftwood and some Mosses also.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the tank earlier and saw a tiny, tiny CRS, could only see one though, so left it for alittle and came back later, checked again and found 3, so things must be going all well in the tank.

• Like 1

Also have a heavily pregnant female sitting close to food and fanning like crazy, I'd say ready to drop the eggs any day now.

Cheers Cesar, the adults I have are quite strong in colour, so the mixture of the right water parameters, temp, foods and mineral powder are also helping with the health and colour/display of the shrimp.

This is my first lot of juvinile CRS also, so pretty stoked.

Can only see 3 juvi so far, hopefully when this other females drops it produces more then 3.

Oh, note to sell, premix mineral power with water before adding to the aquarium, haha, have small blogs of powder through out the tank, ha.

• Like 1

Jumped on Tech Den earlier and ordered a new LED, they have the Ista 60cm LED on special, HUGE special mind you, also grabbed a 37cm long feeding tube.

Then jumped on Boss Aquaria and ordered some Boss Aquaria Baby Powder as well as a small glass feeding bowl.

OK ladies and gents, stupid question, with the feeding bowls for shrimp, who has them? Do you just sit them on the substrate or push them into it so it's more a level with the substrate kind of this?

Also order some Azoo Breed and Growth earlier as well, anyone used this?