CRS and CBS question....

jacet

Hi all,

Just a question i hope some one can help me out with i have had quick a lot of deaths in the last week and all water cons are fine just GH was up around 120ppm and Nitrates where 10ppm and they were dropping like flies i mean i lost 35 in 2 weeks and have 3 left... I am shattered but the only thing i can put it down to is temp... It was bouncing between 22 and 27 daily as we had the heat wave up here in sunny brisbane... strangle it was cooler during the day as we had the fan blowing across it as in it a 30cm cube... I know with the heat there is less O2 in the water but my main question is can crystals handle the bounce in the temp during the day?? I have moved them to my main dispaly which is cycled and running like a dream at the moment and it is 250 litres which should help the bounce in temp... Any info you need just ask.... I just dont want to lose my last 3...

22 to 27 is a large change in temp especially over one day. Tend to agree that it may temp causing all your deaths.

Where is your tank sited? For example, tanks in front of windows will heat quickly if sunlight falls on the tank, similarly cooling quickly as the sunlight disappears. Maybe consider moving the tank to a cooler location, or possibly a chiller.

thanks mate The tank is in a room no where near windows or drafts. I moved them in to another tank and lost 3 in a week and the temp is much more stable with only a swing of a degree or 2 at the most. I had a bad case of Plaria a month ago i am just wondering if that could still be causing issue like if they get inside the shrimp like heart worm on a dog.

22 to 27 is a large change in temp especially over one day. Tend to agree that it may temp causing all your deaths.

Where is your tank sited? For example' date=' tanks in front of windows will heat quickly if sunlight falls on the tank, similarly cooling quickly as the sunlight disappears. Maybe consider moving the tank to a cooler location, or possibly a chiller.[/quote']

+1 that it's the temperature fluctuations causing the deaths.

Thanks fishmosy and triggs... I lost heaps and heaps and yesterday lost my sss black which really gutted me.... But that is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes and just have to get over it and start rebuilding the colony.... Is there any tips apart from chillers and heaps of dear stuff that i have to sell my lefty for i could do to keep a stable temp... I just love the crystals i think they are so amazing to watch in a group at feed time.... I would like to thank you for any advice or tips in advance......

I`m definitely not a shrimp expert but did a lot of reading about trying to keep the temp down in a tank. Firstly larger tanks take longer to warm up, so the more water that is in a tank is always better, but larger tanks take longer to cool down. Frozen water bottles, sandwhich bags or just ice blocks can help lower the temperature but an air pump will also help. There are also fans you can get from ebay that sit on top of your tank that aren`t too expensive that will also help lower the heat. Well it might not be much but theres just a few things to try and keep your water temps down (correct me if I`m wrong for any of them, i`m just learning like many people here).

Dan.

Thanks Dan There were in a 30 cm cube but now in a in a 250 litre tank with a huge filter and heaps of surface movent....

I really think you need to sell your lefty mate! A chiller is a must in Brisbane (or aircon controlled room). You may only need it for 4 months but you will need it! It just makes it easier than worrying about bottles of frozen water or fans which might not be good enough on those really hot days.

If I here of someone after a used lefty I'll let you know .....