Help with my Water Chiller

roscoeb

Hi

I bought a Geek Teches STC - 200 Aquarium Water chiller on Ebay  to keep my 14 Lite Nano tank at 22 Degrees. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70W-100W-Aquarium-Water-Chiller-Fish-Shrimp-Tank-Cooler-Heating-Cooling-Machine/172855311107?hash=item283efabb03:m:mC575TUvYM_hN_1cqZlo3ig

I am able to set a maximum temp. but can't work out how to set the minimum temp, return temp and temp differential.  The manual is a woeful, one page explanation in very poor English.

Can anyone give me some help on how to set the minimum temp, at least, and what the terms 'return temp" and "temp differential" are?

Ca

Leave them at default.

It should trigger on at 1 or 2 deg above the temp you set.

And it should turn off at or around the temp you set.

That's how my chiller works. No need to set other parameters.

Test it in a bucket of water. Add some hot water and observe its operation.

If you really need to fiddle with the other parameters, long press SET key until you get the Heating/Cooling mode, and cycle to the next setting by pressing SET key again.

Edited by jayc

Hi Jayc

Thanks for your reply. I think you are correct..leave it at default, as with shrimp - less fiddling around with the better ;-)

It works really well - kicks in around 22.1 to cool it down, I have the heater set to 21 and hopefully the shrimp will breed away with the stable temp..It's been so hot down here recently keep my 14L  Nano Tank cool was a hassle (used a fan but evaporation was a problem) Now with the chiller problem solved :-))

Cheers

Ross AKA Roscoe

• 6 months later...

@Dain, it should not be running/chilling 24 hours. 

The machine can be left on 24 hours, but if it is running the entire time that means the unit is too small for the tank capacity.

These units are meant for very small nano tanks only.

What tank do you have?

Edited by jayc

On 12/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, roscoeb said:

It works really well - kicks in around 22.1 to cool it down, I have the heater set to 21 and hopefully the shrimp will breed away with the stable temp.

I would suggest setting your heater at a slightly lower temp e.g. 18-20 instead. Not all thermostats are made equal or calibrated accurately, so you want to avoid the chiller and heater working 24/7 against each other.

A gradual increase/decrease of 18-22 degree temp in 14L of water is fine, as long as the fluctuation is not in a short period of time.

I dont use heater my water is 27 celsius and I wanted to set my temperature to 22 celsius for my shrimp.. ?

Its ok I use cooling only?

Edited by Dain
Need info again

2 hours ago, Dain said:

ok I use cooling only?

Yes, of course you can use cooling only if you are in a country that does not get cold.

Where do you live? It's a good idea to fill in the "city" in your profile.

• 2 weeks later...