How important is the "tumbling" when artificially hatching shrimp eggs?

EBC

So this morning I noticed one of my berried CRS wasn't doing well. When I came back a half hour later she was dead. I managed to remove bout 30 eggs from her.

Unfortunately I don't have an actual egg tumbler so I fashioned a system which uses a part of my siphon/vacuum thing to divert some of the pumped water through the hose, then through a piece of filter sponge in the main tube. I know that this is successfully moving some water across the eggs (the top of the tube is above the water and is slowly spilling over) but unfortunately not enough to actually tumble the eggs so they are just sitting on the sponge. Is this a major issue? Should I go out and buy an egg tumbler today? Would it be too late already? The other issue is that I don't actually have an air pump either so I would need that too if I understand how tumblers work.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, EBC said:

Thoughts?

As long as there is a flow of water over the eggs, that should be sufficient. 

15 hours ago, jayc said:

As long as there is a flow of water over the eggs, that should be sufficient. 

Thanks! Hopefully it works and I have little shrimps in a week or two. Will let you know how it goes. Have ordered a tumbler for the future though as this isn't the best system in the world...

So just an update. This morning, a few of the eggs did hatch! Unfortunately the majority of the eggs ended up turning an opaque pink colour and were clearly no longer viable. Not sure if it was a fungus or some sort of mechanical damage that caused it. So I think out of ~30 eggs, about 5 hatched successfully. I am sure I could have got better results with a proper egg tumbler, but in a pinch, this method was partially effective.

Figured I would just leave this update in case anyone ever has the same concern one day.

Thanks again!

• Like 1