Help with Shrimp illness

kensta88

Hi, I've been running a 16L tank with 11 Bloody Mary and 6 NQAS for about 2-3 months. I recently added 25 Tangerine Tigers about 6-8 weeks ago.

Water parameter are:
PH 7.2
GH 6
KH 1
NH3 0
N02 0
NO3 10-20
TDS 150-200
Temp 24-27C. (Heater is set at 24C but it has been getting warmer recently in Melbourne)

Problem 1: From last week, I started noticing 1-2 shrimps lying dead on the substrate. They looked slightly opaque in colour. This was almost daily over 2-3 days. I've since tore down the tank and moved the remaining shrimps into another temp tank. I only found 4 Tangs, 6 Bloody Mary and 6 NQAS left. Haven't really noticed the disappearance as the Tangs were still juvies and I had quite a bit of moss in the tank.

Problem 2: At the same time, I've also noticed one of my adult female Bloody Mary turning white in the head (it's happened gradually over 2 weeks). Please see photo. From looking at the disease chart on this forum, I looked like it could be Rust head or bacteria infection.

Not sure if they are related. Please advise if I can administer any treatment at this stage. Thanks.

20171120_232821.jpg

PH, KH, GH & TDS are on the high side for Tangs, but still affordable though.

That being said, temperature looks too high to me.

Also, 16l is too small IMO. The smaller the tank is, more difficult it is to reach stability, and stability is a main key to success in shrimp keeping.

As for the colour of your Bloody Mary, I have sometimes some shrimps (Neo, not the caridinas) developing such withish/creamy coloration.

It is not uncommon that, as they grow older, some Neo females develop a "racing stripe", which sometimes covers half or more of the shell.
Not an issue, just coloring.

Edited by Matuva

Not a very healthy looking shrimp.

The tail section shows something that looks like Chitinolytic bacterial disease, Shell disease, Brown spot disease, Black spot disease, Burned spot disease, or Rust disease. Difficult to tell in that photo.

Quarantine any that start to exhibit the same symptoms - immediately. It's highly contagious.

Read the Diseases and Diagnostics thread for possible solutions. But that shrimp in the photo might be too far gone.

Change tank water.

If you have UV lights, use it.