Darwin Algae Eaters

t3v0r0

HI

Has anyone had much experience with Darwin Algae Eaters?

Do they fight with other shrimps, such as Cherrys or Crystals?

I understand they can grow to be 2 -3 times the size of cherrys.

And are they really effective with hair algae?

Hi T3v0r0,

There are a few guys that will be able to help you with your DAE question, I cant really say much as I keep mine in a mixed tank with all sorts and they all live really happily together with no problems at all, but I am not running a breeding program in that tank as its a plant grow tank, and it may be more luck based than anything else...

as for the sale question you may wanna drop that part of the post as its frowned apon as per rules, there is a bss section thats open for subscribed members :)

IME they do squabble with other shrimp when it comes to feeding time (as with most shrimp). Being larger they have the ability to grab the peice of food and swim off with it leaving none for the rest. For the most part they will live harmoniously with other shrimp, just make sure there is enough food to go around at feeding time.

They are also very effective hair algae eaters but more so if you starve them; Greens are only eaten if there is nothing else available.

I don't seem to have any probs with them I've got them with crs CBS ycs bcs drs and yeah no dramas that I have noticed

No worries in my display tank. 10-15 adult DAE, 30 CRS, 70 odd RCS, 30 Chameleon shrimp in a 3ft. At meal times the CRS get in quick grab some food and jet. The rest pile in and do a food huddle in the feeding dishes. They are incredibly effective against hair algae. I got them just for that reason and they destroyed all the hair algae in a week.

LOL @ edk. It was YOU that inspired me to ask the question (and order them)

You will probably recognise my username too.

• 3 months later...

The Darwin Red Nose Shrimp ate all my hair algae. If Dave runs out of Algae eaters, try them.. they worked wonders.

Heya edk and t3. :P

• 1 month later...

so,im guessing from the name that its a good little cleaner?