A Journey Into Blue

Baccus

After cleaning out my very mixed cull tank I found these few Blue cherry's that I plan on using as the base for a blue breeding program. I don't know how well it will work since they are from originally chocolate stock which I have been developing my black cherry shrimp from. But fingers crossed these guys breed true and enhance their blue.

The various chocolates that are in this temp sorting tank will of course not be included in the planned blue program.

Should this plan work? or am I better off biting the bullet and just buy established blue stock. I tired that once with yellows but they never liked my water and just disappeared, either by dropping their bright yellow or dying out.

blue1.thumb.JPG.0d9a794062ef0227bb55f1e7427d737b.JPGblue2.thumb.JPG.a8be8765a06672c59e5a316876161b9b.JPGBlue5.thumb.JPG.bd02850a11d89de84f3b916f39b84cf9.JPGBlue6.thumb.JPG.120f8d9b0e9e57c292f19b8540a231e7.JPGBlue4.thumb.JPG.94de4bff096dd255156fa2fa85221339.JPG

Edited by Baccus
  • Like 4

Did the blues ever breed true for you or did you never try to establish blue from your choc line?

• HOF Member

I don't think the blues from blacks ( Blue Diamond) ever do breed 100% true . I have had blacks for quite a few years and kept putting anything not black or chocolate into a pond outside- I put a few Rilis out there too but very few of them are still breeding true- over ther last year or so I noticed beautiful blues of varying colours so earlier this year brought some back into my tanks. So far I have had many shades of blue, blacks, chocolates and Bloody Mary. I have kept the best of the blues and put the different shades of blue into different tanks - I think I will end up keeping the lighter blues - I now have about 200 inside and hope the next generation will start to give me a more stable colour but I'm not really expecting a lot. S

Edited by ineke
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baccus said:

Did the blues ever breed true for you or did you never try to establish blue from your choc line?

No, I had more blues from my chocs than I did from my blues. The blue x blue gave me a lot of clearish coloured culls.

Something I worked out recently and was confirmed by 2 or 3 other shrimpers is that blues from black/choc can change colour (one way or the other) as they mature and also when they are stressed.

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

• Like 1

• 1 month later...