@farmdee6

Will Mixing Neocaridina result in brown shrimp? Let's find out...

@farmdee6

I'm starting a brand new #neomix tank.  I won't be adding or taking out any shrimp, just documenting developments along the way.  I'm interested to see if any new variants develop, and what the tendency towards brown is.  I'll be sharing updates on my channel if you are interested in following along.   Enjoy!  #shrimptv

Edited by @farmdee6
Title
  • Like 1

NoGi

In my experience, not so much brown but multi mixed wild colour and some colourless

@farmdee6

UPDATE: they are getting bigger... waiting for my first berries!

Quakeszn

So how is this comming along

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U72 using Tapatalk

@farmdee6
14 hours ago, Quakeszn said:

The tank is BeAuTiFuL!  I love all of the colors.  The shrimp are growing and I have an updated video I'm posting tonight on YouTube.  I'll put the link here once it is uploaded...so exciting!

@farmdee6

Exciting times in the #shrimplab !

On 10/17/2017 at 8:54 PM, Quakeszn said:

I posted the link above

@farmdee6

#shrimplab update!  Experiment 2- Part 4

Edited by @farmdee6
fix link

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• FrumpyJack
      By FrumpyJack
      I have only been keeping Neocaridinas for about two months now, I have 10 blue dream neos in one tank, and 12 orange neos in a separate tank. The tank with the 10 blue dream neos has been slightly problematic though because it's a smaller tank and waste builds up a little faster.
      That being said, can anybody ID this swimmer in my shrimp tank? There is only 1 that I can see, it appears to have an exoskeleton almost like a shrimp, and it swims at the surface of the water by whipping its tail. I don't think it's a baby shrimp fry because I'm just now seeing my first female berried up and there haven't been any births before, but I suppose it is possible a fry snuck in with my order. Any help would be appreciated 😁

• maelstroem
      By maelstroem
      Hi
      New to this forum, I have read huge numbers of posts and have found excellent information available, all in one area has made it enjoyable rather than trawling through 1000's internet pages looking for specific info.
      I have never kept shrimps ( have kept tropical fish in various types for many years ) before but I am about to , I have all the gear ready to go but am moving house in a few weeks so waiting until then to get stuck in.
      I have seen a number of excellent posts on genetics from JayC - I used to keep and show budgies many years ago and the mendel theory bit ties in nicely with the budgie genetics
      which I was quite au fait with , budgie genetics and breeding results are quite quantifiable , there are many tables for reference for colour / pattern breeding results.

It seems however with shrimp it seems a little bit hit n miss regarding outcomes ( I may be very wrong here but just seems that way,  from reading answers to various questions I have found being asked).It just seems the breeding results from various Xings usually produces a reply with " well it just depends "

Now moving on to the title question / s ..... do King Kong shrimp breed true?
      Does black X black always = black - same for red X red and yellow X yellow. Also mixing the colours - I've read somewhere that black is dominant to red but the red can be carried in split form ,  where does the yellow form stand in this is it recessive to both black and red ?
      I have noticed there are various patterns in KK ( extreme - with the tip of the tail white against a solid main colour ) but also some with bands on them, are these actual recognised patterns
      or are they just better / worse grades ?
      If they are recognised patterns - do the patterns breed true also ?
      Which shrimp are required to breed KK's without using a KK as a parent?

Finally slightly off subject 'mischlings' - reverting back to the budgie genetics, all crossings no matter how complex produce a named variety / colour even if it is a very poor version - it has a name.
      With mischlings it seems to be just classed as crossbreeds - is this because the young are so diverse in colour pattern and type it is not possible to give it a name or ?
      Sorry for not placing this in the correct section but I don't have enough knowledge to know where it would belong lol.
      Also appologise for the many Q's within a Question and maybe not set out very tidily.
      I have many other questions regarding breeding outcomes etc but will try to keep the posts at a good space between them so as not to bombard and annoy folks.
      Thanks
      M.

• @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      Green shrimp  I looked at one of my green Neocaridina under the microscope, and I'm trying to determine if all green shrimp are like this... or just mine.  Any insight from other green or jade shrimp keepers?

• @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      It's official! Red and Blue marble offspring are... red and blue!  #shrimplab #coolgenetics #neocaridina #microscope
      See the hatchling right below mom in photo!
      Video found: https://youtu.be/XELenET9vfA

• Ikhsand10
      By Ikhsand10
      Hi guys,
      i'm just curious, how much does each neocaridina shrimp cost in your country?
      i'm in Indonesia, and they are really cheap, i bought 30 red cherry shrimp for about 1 dolar ( 15000 Rupiah )..
      Thank You..

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      It must have been an aluminium heatsink. The Indium in Liquid metal will eat through aluminium. Only copper or nickel plated heatsinks can be used with liquid metal. It says so on the packet, at least my pack of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut does.
    • jayc
    • kms
      I will try to add all the old tank's shrimps at the end of August to the new tank, had a problem with my chiller this morning, try to make it more efficient by adding a better heat sink grease, I added a liquid metal grease, apparently you can't add liquid metal, when heating up, the heat sink turning to dust, along with part of the cooler inlet and outlet. So far the shrimps are ok.    
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have had the new shrimps a week and have ordered some new ones(10) for delivery friday. There are probably at least 6 of the 8 alive (they may even all be alive still) but as the tank is so densely planted it is difficult to tell, but I saw 2 black and 2 red this morning, as yesterday, but I'm sure 1 red and  1 black weren't the same as the ones I saw yesterday so there are probably at least 6, if that makes any sense??? Anyway that will be it for now and I will just let the tank and shrimps do there thing once this batch are in there in a couple of days, and I can get back to the usual routine as was, before this unfortunate event wiped out the last lot. All parameters are good, including the nitrates now, but there are a lot of brown patches on the plants and moss balls still......... It all looks a bit drab and uninspiring and brown!!! I probably just need to be a bit more patient? I will do some maintenance tomorrow and a small 2L water change, then the new shrimps will go in on friday after acclimatising. The shrimps were totally uninterested in the spinach or shrimp lolly I put in at the weekend but I am assuming they have so much biofilm at this stage that that is keeping them busy and well fed and they are staying under cover until they get used to their new environment and this strange ugly monster that keeps peering in at them through the glass from time to time? I guess if some 100ft tall bloke kept peering through my window a few times a day I would be a bit nervous/reserved shall we say? I removed the spinach and the shrimp lolly and put the shrimp lolly in the betta tank and within minutes there were 10 shrimp on it so there was definitely nothing wrong with that shrimp lolly! Simon
    • jayc
      Traps don't work on hydra. Even with planaria, it is slow and it doesn't catch them all.