New to shrimp and im already in love with them :)

dean3711

Hi all still finding my way around this site. so bare with me lol. hoping to get advice on whats the best to start out with i would love to turn my tank into a display tank of shrimp. they are more addictive then fish to watch. i have a 3ft already set up with plants moss gravel ect for them now i just need to find the money for the shrimp lol i cant believe the cost so far hahaha but it will be well worth it in the end. can anyone tell me what shrimp i can keep together .....

Hey mate how ya going?

Welcome to SKF!

Most beginners tend to start with Cherry Shrimp. They come in a few different colours such as Red, Yellow, Orange, Chocolate And Blue.

Red is the most common and cheapest option to start out with. But don't let the price fool you, They're still a very attractive and nice shrimp.

Once people get their tanks stable and are comfortable maintaining their shrimps needs they tend to move to higher grades. However some people stick with the Cherries as they're still very nice shrimp in their own rights.

The only thing is you can't keep (Or shouldn't) keep different coloured Cherries together as they will interbreed and your colours will slowly breed out. Some people do this to X-Breed or as part of their breeding program. But if you're just wanting to keep some nice coloured shrimp together this isn't really a good idea.

Here's a chart on what shrimp are compatible and what are not. It's not so much compatibility due to fighting or anything like that. It's got more to do with what shrimp cross breed with what.

644fmp.gif

- Picture sourced from PlanetInverts.

Welcome to SKF again, I hope this helps. Good luck mate :)

Yes Cherries are the place to start, Learn from them before venturing into the higher grades, Take the time and learn, patient is the key to shrimp keeping ENJOY!

If your really not sure you could try starting with some common native shrimp.. They can help you get an idea of whether or not your tanks good for shrimp and then move up to cherries or others.. Its what i did (except my mum bought me some sunkissed shrimp) and its helped me get a good idea of what shrimp like and what they dont.